Description And Comments
The Maharaja Jungle Trek is a zoological nature walk similar to the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail, but with an Asian setting and Asian animals. You start with Komodo dragons and then work up to Malayan tapirs. Next is a cave with fruit bats. Ruins of the maharaja's palace provide the setting for Bengal tigers. From the top of a parapet in the palace you can view a herd of blackbuck antelope and Asian deer. The trek concludes with an aviary.
Labyrinthine, overgrown, and elaborately detailed, the temple ruin would be a compelling attraction even without the animals. Throw in a few bats, bucks, and Bengals and you're in for a treat.
Most readers agree. And a Washington, D.C., couple chimed in with this:
We went on the Maharaja Jungle Trek, which was absolutely amazing. We were able to see all the animals, which were awake by that time (9:30 a.m.), including the elusive tigers. The part of the jungle trek with the birds was fabulous. If you looked, you could spot hundreds of birds, some of which were eating on the ground a mere 3 feet away from me. Recommend to future visitors to take their time walking through the jungle, since most of the animals are not obvious to the breezing eye and you must look for them. It is worth the extra time to see such an unusual exhibit.
The Jungle Trek does not get as jammed up as the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail and is a good choice for midday touring when most other attractions are crowded. The downside, of course, is that the exhibit showcases tigers, tapirs, and other creatures that might not be as active in the heat of the day as mad dogs and Englishmen.
Opens 30 minutes after the rest of the park.
Disney Dish with Jim Hill
The Maharajah Jungle Trek’s tigers sleep 18–20 hours per day, plus they’re older too. So, Disney’s zoologists have to invent new ways to get these stubborn felines up and moving. Their latest idea is a doorbell. In a classic example of Pavlovian conditioning, the tigers have learned that if they hear a doorbell, they’ll be rewarded with a treat if they go immediately to a certain tree and scratch with both paws.
Other Attractions in Asia
Touring Plans with Maharajah Jungle Trek
- Animal Kingdom One-Day Touring Plan for Active Seniors
- Animal Kingdom One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Animal Kingdom One-Day Holiday Touring Plan for Active Seniors
- Animal Kingdom Scoping the Park
- Animal Kingdom One-Day Holiday Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Animal Kingdom One-Day Late Arrival Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Animal Kingdom Unofficial Guide One-Day Touring Plan (without Expedition Everest)
- Ultimate Touring Plan: Animal Kingdom
- Animal Kingdom Unofficial Guide One-Day Touring Plan
- One-Day Touring Plan for Tweens and Their Parents
- One-Day Happy Family Touring Plan
- See all Touring Plans...