Disney Raising Ticket Prices Sunday, June 12

In a surprise move, Disney has announce it is raising ticket prices tomorrow for both Walt Disney World and Disneyland. Increases range from around 3.7% for a one-day pass ($82 to $85), to around 7% for a 7-day ticket. More details and prices can be found on Disney’s blog: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/06/disney-parks-ticketing-update/

Len Testa

Len Testa is the co-author of the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, and has contributed to the Disneyland and Las Vegas Unofficial Guides. Most of his time is spent trying to keep up with the team. Len's email address is len@touringplans.com. You can also follow him on Twitter: @lentesta.

12 thoughts on “Disney Raising Ticket Prices Sunday, June 12

• June 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm

i actually bought my tickets yesterday for my trip in July.

• June 11, 2011 at 4:10 pm

7% when the economy is unstable, inflation is high, and most people are getting raises less than the inflation rate. At what point is enough enough? Or will we poor addicted schmucks just keep on adjusting our budget and selling all our stuff on ebay to keep going?

• June 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Touring Plans you are the best! Thank you for the notice! I bought my ticket today for my trip in December!

• June 12, 2011 at 7:14 am

This increase seems a little excessive to me. If the demand warranted this increase, why all the free dining and hotel discounts throughout the year?

• June 13, 2011 at 6:59 am

I agree. It’s not like the parks and resorts aren’t packed!

• June 12, 2011 at 9:36 am

With the “early” announcement of ticket prices… They have also opened up 2012 packages earlier than usual.

Will there be an early booking discount soon? Here’s hoping.

• June 12, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Not only is 7% a huge markup, but it is only for 10 months, make the effective increase for 1 week 8.4% increase. I guess they will keep doing it until attendance decreases. I am surprised more people have not opted to stay home, or go to universal, at about 1/2 the price.

• June 13, 2011 at 8:28 am

Thanks for the info. I try everything I can to save money on our fairly freguent Disney trips: the DVC, Annual Passes, Tables in Wonderland, doing our trips so we can use the same AP twice (August 2012 and July 2013, for example.) However, it just keeps getting harder and harder to save money when you have your had set on not giving up any of the Disney magic. When we originally joined the DVC, we had it in our heads that we would allow my son to bring friends when he was old enough. He is now 11 and I don’t see us bringing many friends down with the way ticket prices are skyrocketing.

• June 13, 2011 at 8:45 am

They do it because they can. If the demand was such that they could get away with charging $100 for a 1-day base ticket, they would.

Park attendance has been good this summer and they probably project it staying good, so I guess they decided they’d take advantage of the increased demand. Basic economics and I don’t begrudge them that.

Having said that, we were 50/50 on a WDW trip or a beach vacation, and this is one thing that led us to choose the beach. Their free dining offer didn’t cover as much of August as it usually does, so we couldn’t use it, and the early jump on ticket prices means we’d be paying a premium on tickets we don’t want to pay. We found a good deal on a beach condo, so we’re going there, instead.

This will be the first time in 6 years we haven’t taken a WDW vacation, but I’m guessing our family isn’t their target demographic, anyway. We like to go to WDW but we look for good deals. My guess is they prefer the first-time (or only-time) visitor who doesn’t really have a great idea of what’s going on and they can upsell them.

• June 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm

FYI, Undercover Tourist (espec. if you use the Mousesavers discount) still has the old rates available (not sure for how long). Luckily, we can qualify for the DOD discount. I knew WDW would be scaling back their discounts, but between this and the cost of gas, they’re sure not making it easy on us.

• June 14, 2011 at 4:40 am

This is one of those times when I’m glad to live in the UK, since we get great 14-day park hopper tickets that I don’t belive you can get in the US.

• June 14, 2011 at 8:38 pm

This really confirms the value of tickets-in-hand that don’t expire. My wife and I went to WDW this past February with a couple of paper tickets that were close to 10 years old. The face value was just over 50 bucks each, but they went right into the entry scanners and got us in just as well a our key to the world cards (for one additional day after burning our 2-day base tickets.)