Animal Kingdom Observations: September 21, 2013

When I first started with Touring Plans I was surprised to hear the least popular park on the blog is Disney’s Animal Kingdom.  I say that because any given day if you ask me what my favorite park is I will either answer Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom depending on my mood.  I find that Animal Kingdom is consistently different and I have the opportunity to take beautiful photos, making it a park I visit quite frequently!  The below photos were all taken this morning.  (Believe me – it would look way better if I was pulling out old photos!! :))  Let’s get on with our visit to Animal Kingdom!The Adventure Begins!

It was beautiful this morning.  When I parked my car at 8:30am the thermometer said it was only 72 degrees outside.  With the 90+ degree weather we’ve had for the last few months this felt amazing!  As I walked in I noticed that the large bus sign had been removed and replaced with sandwich board signs advertising the new Downtown Disney bus route.IMG_3340

Continuing on to bag check you can see the first sign that crowds were low and it was going to be a great day:

IMG_3342

After this we made our way up to the turnstiles and waited for the park opening at 8:45am.  It opened at 8:45am right on the dot and we headed towards the Kilimanjaro Safari, of course stopping for the obligatory Tree Of Life photo.

IMG_3353

Along our route to the Safari we checked in on the progress of the new Festival of the Lion King theater.  It is coming along:

IMG_3355

I can’t wait to see this new theater open!  Before riding the Safari we, of course, stopped to pick up fastpasses since we knew we would want to ride again.  We had decided early this wasn’t going to be a roller coaster day so using fastpasses for an extra safari was an easy choice.

IMG_3358

And then we were off for the standby line of what I think is my favorite ride in all of Walt Disney World!  Here are the animals that I was able to get great photos of while on the ride.  We saw many more than are actually featured here:

Bongo
Bongo
Black Rhino
Black Rhino
Giraffes (look at the baby!!)
Giraffes (look at the baby!!)
Bull Elephant
Bull Elephant
IMG_3416
White Rhino
IMG_3423
lioness
IMG_3428
Zebra
IMG_3445
Addax

This is why we always head straight for the Safari in the morning!  The animals are all wake and roaming.  Going even an hour later during the warmer months can mean that you miss lots of them.  After the ride we had some time to kill before our fastpass window opened so we headed over to the Pangani Forest Trail.  Again here are the animals that were feeling photogenic!

Colobus Monkey
Colobus Monkey
IMG_3480
Okapi
IMG_3491
Bird
IMG_3499
Bird
IMG_3515
Meerkat
IMG_3519
Male Gorilla

Notes on these photos – that is the laziest Meerkat I’ve ever seen.  While it was still performing its “lookout duties” it was doing so from the equivalent of a La-Z-Boy.  Also, apparently Gorillas eat off of frisbees?  When we reached the end of the trail it was 10am and time to cash in our fastpasses.  I noticed it had gotten warmer and had a feeling this one wouldn’t be as good as our first ride.  Taking a look at the photos below you can see I was right.

IMG_3528
A bloat of hippos
IMG_3532
Ankole Cattle that had been blocking the road
IMG_3567
Male Lion
IMG_3569
Hot, Tired White Rhinos

I included the photo of the Rhinos because I found this is what most of the animals were doing by 10:30am!  Our earlier safari was much better but I didn’t want to give up just yet so we headed over to the Maharajah Jungle Trek hoping to catch a few animals before they escaped the heat.  As you can see from the photo below this didn’t quite work out as I had hoped!

IMG_3587

The only animals I found that were still out were the birds:

IMG_3594

At this point we decided that if it was too hot for the animals it was too hot for us!  We took the the log way out and hopped on Dinosaur once with a 10 minute wait.  As we headed toward the exit I snapped a quick photo of the wait times.  At 11am the longest line was 20 minutes:

IMG_3600   IMG_3603

One last note on our way out was that there are no longer turnstiles to exit Animal Kingdom!  There was just a big gate manned by a single cast member.  I stopped to ask if this was permanent and it sounds like they will be fully converted to Magic Bands very soon and no longer require a turnstile to exit.

IMG_3604

I hope you enjoyed this morning tour of Animal Kingdom!  In just a couple hours you can see so much at this very unique park.  I hope you will take some time to go wild at Animal Kingdom on your next visit.  It’s a jungle out there! 😀

Daisy Lauren

I'm just about the biggest Touring Plans fan ever and still pinching myself that they let me be part of the team! I love sharing all things Disney with you and always appreciate your ideas and feedback at: daisylauren@touringplans.com or @dizdaisylauren on twitter Above everything else THANK YOU for reading and commenting!

22 thoughts on “Animal Kingdom Observations: September 21, 2013

• September 23, 2013 at 3:00 pm

This reminds me:
    I have always thought that getting on the Safari ride first thing in the morning is best since the animals are more active.However, a friend mentioned to me that since we are going in January, that I may want to hit the safari a little later, since it will be warmer and the animals are less likely to be very active on a cool morning. Your thoughts?

• September 23, 2013 at 3:25 pm

We hit it first thing this past January and all of the animals were out and about.

• September 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm

It seems like first thing in the morning is always a good bet in my experience. I’m sure Disney has put out their morning meals and they will go to collect them no matter the weather. I got on the safari all the time and it seems like the animals really like the same weather we do with one exception. The BEST safari you will ever go on is in the rain (as long as it isn’t too cold). While other folks are running from the summer storms I grab my rain gear and head to AK. I’ve even caught the elephants bathing in their little lake!

• September 23, 2013 at 3:27 pm

We were there Saturday too! Did the safari first thing; a giraffe was extra close to our truck. We love AK!

• September 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm

We had to hold for several minutes because there was a rhino jam!! 😉 The white rhinos were extra active this last Saturday! You never know what you are going to get with AK – that is why I love it!

• September 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Thanks – you can spot me at the park with my 15lbs of camera gear, LOL!

• September 23, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I had heard the camera adds 10 pounds… 😉
        Thank you for an excellent blog and wonderful pictures, Daisy!

• September 23, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Fantastic Photos! I especially like the shot of the bongo. The birds are always the hardest things to identify, but i think that the bird with the brown body feathers, white neck, and black feathers on the top of its head is an African Jacana, here’s a photo from Flickr of one of the bird guides that helped me with that,

and the small bright bird near the woven nest is, appropriately enough, an African Weaver Bird or Golden Weaver (Ploceus subaureus) to compare:

• September 23, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Thanks, Brian!! I had the thought that I should have taken a photo of one of those guides. 🙂 Thanks also for the kind words! The Bongo shot is my fave too!

• September 23, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Awwww – I didn’t see this or I would have done one comment but I couldn’t not respond!! Look at that chubby bird! Everyone – click that link!! 🙂

• September 23, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Great post – I really love these observational posts. What a great time of year to visit if you can!

• September 23, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Thanks, Jenni!! I love bringing these posts to you. It is so fun to share. 🙂

• September 23, 2013 at 8:26 pm

This is awesome because I am going back and forth whether my family should purchase wdw park hoppers to hop from AK after motning animal viewing to epcot for lunch…thinking yes?

• September 25, 2013 at 8:12 am

Hey Rebecca – everyone is different but I would never miss a morning at AK if I had the choice. 🙂 I hope that helps. I know you’ll have a great trip!

• September 23, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Love that the lions are actually awake!! Seems every time I go on the ride, they are doing what they do best–sleeping!

• September 25, 2013 at 8:14 am

I’m not a complete expert – but it seems it depends on what “set” of lions they have on. I believe this is the youngest group and the most active. Looking at my photos I think this is the only group I’ve been able to catch awake!

• September 24, 2013 at 7:51 am

The same thing happened to us at Hollywood Studios on Saturday with the exit. There were no turnstiles any more and just a castmember watching the exit.

• September 25, 2013 at 8:14 am

Hey Chad! Oh we are getting ever so close to Magic Bands!! I don’t know if I’m excited about the system but I’m ready to try something new with an open mind! 🙂

• September 24, 2013 at 5:58 pm

This is great — nice pictures and good commentary! We’re going in early December (and haven’t been in 14 years!) and Animal Kingdom is definitely a must-do for us — it was barely open last time we were there. Can’t wait — thanks!!

• September 25, 2013 at 8:16 am

Thank you, Tonya! You will be very impressed. I remember when AK opened it was barely a half day park for us. (I think the parks go through life cycles. The Studios was that way when it opened too… and now it is back to a half day, LOL!) Take some time to just walk around and enjoy the park – it really has the best theming of them all!

Comments are closed.