I’ve got some interesting news notes for today, including new animals at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, MagicBand info, and Downtown Disney news. Let’s dive right in to the fun.
- For those who will be attending the Frozen Summer Fun Live event at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, beginning September 2 guests have the option to choose the “For The First Time In Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration” as a tier 2 FastPass+ option. I have no clue if this means that the paper tickets that were being handed out will still be issued; however, I would guess not with the addition of guests being able to make FastPass+ reservations ahead of time.
- One of the things I’ve heard people mention is how they would like to buy additional MagicBands, especially as gifts for family and friends, but were unable to. Well, that has now changed; MagicBands can now be purchased without being linked with tickets at the time of the sale. Guests can purchase the solid color MagicBands at the four theme parks, Downtown Disney, Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Disney’s Pop Century Resort, Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, and Port Orleans Resorts without linking tickets to the bands. Guests will be limited to only purchasing 5 MagicBands at a time. More purchase locations may potentially be added in the future. The only caveat is that guests cannot purchase the specialty bands; those must still be linked with tickets at the time of purchase. (For example, guests must link the special Frozen MagicBands with park tickets at time of purchase.)
- The Sunrise Safari at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, which was available to DVC members, will be ending on December 28.
- Disney released new renderings of the upcoming Disney Springs via video recently. What was fascinating was to see the 3D walk-through of what we can expect to see when the transformation to Disney Springs is complete. The video talked heavily about the story of the re-imagined district, which is that Disney Springs was an early waterfront town built around a natural spring. Over time, the area slowly grew into a full-size town, much like how many Florida towns sprouted up. When all is said and done, Disney Springs will have double the shopping, dining, and entertainment options than there are now, and there will be four different districts: Town Center, The Landing, The Marketplace, and The West Side. The existing timetable currently stands: the first parking garage is slated to open in Fall 2014, The first section of Disney Springs will open in Spring 2015 with the debut of The Landing, and the rest will open in 2016. Things are happening all the time at Downtown Disney in relation to this re-imagination of the area. As a matter of fact, just yesterday the new Marketplace Boat Dock and Saratoga Bridge opened, giving people easier access to the district.
- A few animals have been added to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. A new baby gorilla was born at the beginning of the month. Currently he has no name but can potentially be seen at the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail. Also, a Sumatran tiger was added to the Maharajah Jungle Trek. Previously there was only one species of tiger on the trail.
That’s it for this edition! What are your thoughts?