The year is almost over, and I’m back again with one more newsworthy update for 2014! There are quite a few things that guests should know about the Walt Disney World Resort for the beginning of the new year, so I’m here to share everything with you. Ready to get to it? Let’s go!
- Back a few months ago, (October to be exact), we found out that Island Supply shop would be closing in Adventureland for a new concept. Many in the Disney community were hopeful…would we be getting a shop featuring some of the great Adventureland-themed merchandise sold at the Marketplace Co-Op? Well, I have your answer, and the answer is, “No.” The shop will reopen on January 8 as Island Supply by Sunglass Hut. That means you can purchase high-end sunglasses and other products offered by this new operating participant. In addition, another store selling similar merchandise will open on January 4 at Typhoon Lagoon: Sal’s Shades by Sunglass Hut.
- Two of Epcot’s Innoventions exhibits will close in the beginning of January. The first is the THINK Exhibit by IBM. This exhibit in Innoventions East allowed guests to take part in three unique experiences that allowed them to engage in a conversation about how we can improve the way we live and work. This exhibit will close January 1. Also closing in Innoventions East is the Test the Limits Lab. Here guests can “test” products to make sure they are safe for consumers by shattering a TV screen, dropping a safe, and more. It will close on January 6. There is no word on whether anything will be replacing either of these two exhibits.
- Creature Comforts at Disney’s Animal Kingdom will close on January 5. The shop is expected to be converted into a new Starbucks location, though an official announcement has not yet been made. The location is scheduled to open late spring or early summer 2015.
- Also at Animal Kingdom, Kali River Rapids will see two refurbishments. One is the traditional winter refurbishment from January 20 through February 2, reopening on February 3. The second is just a three day refurbishment, from March 10 through 13, reopening March 14.
- Four refurbishments are taking place at the Magic Kingdom. The first is Dream Along With Mickey, which will be down from April 13 through May 20, with performances continuing on May 21. The second is Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, which will just see a brief refurbishment from March 4-7, reopening March 8. Third will be the Jungle Cruise which will see a refurbishment from April 13 through May 8, reopening May 9. The final is Liberty Tree Tavern, which will see a very lengthy refurbishment from July 6 through November 22, reopening November 23.
- The IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party returns in January and February on select Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday evenings at Epcot’s Showcase Plaza. There guests may enjoy sweets such as traditional Moroccan baklava, Italian tiramisu, French chocolate ganache tarts and more. The cost is $49 for adults and $29 for children ages 3-9. For reservations, call 407-WDW-DINE.
That’s it! What do you think?