Daisy Lauren’s Best Week Ever: February 12, 2015

101Hi, Everyone! Welcome to the Best Week Ever here at Walt Disney World. This week we’ll be stopping by Beach Club Resort and Epcot for dinner. Then we’re checking out what’s new at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and spending a little time at the Magic Kingdom for an epic view of the Festival of Fantasy Parade. I have so much to share with you, let’s get going! 🙂

On Friday night when we decided we needed a Disney style dinner we’d originally set out for Beaches & Cream Soda Shop. This is an awesome spot for a casual hamburger, but unfortunately it was packed when we got there and reservations weren’t available. With the My Disney Experience App we were able to find a table available at Tokyo Dining over at Epcot. We spent a little time strolling through the Beach Club on our way there. Wow, it’s beautiful! I haven’t stayed at this hotel since I was a kid. Look at it now!

102 103

So who wants to visit Tokyo Dining with me? Click here to read more!

Tokyo Dining is on the short list of our favorite places to eat around the World Showcase. While the food is to die for, I’ve often heard people rave about the fireworks view from this dining spot. As you can see from my photo on the below right, not so much. Even when seated right up against the windows you still miss a great deal of the show. Of course, there is a beautiful walkway that wraps around the outside of the restaurant. However, you don’t have to eat dinner here to enjoy that view. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t stop by on your next trip! Let me tell you about our awesome dinner here!

104 105

For starters, the service is impeccable in Japan. Everyone is so, so friendly and efficient. Our courses came out quickly and were cooked to perfection. This has been the case each and every time we’ve enjoyed a meal in Japan. Pictured below left is the Tuna Steak, which goes for $29.95. Pictured below right is the Panko Chicken, which goes for $26.95. The tuna was large enough to split and I took home a good size doggie bag. That also makes this spot an even better deal if you’re on the dining plan.

106 107

A little bit out of order, pictured below left is our appetizer of Karaage. It was $8.95 and a good value since there was about twice as much as pictured. It was so delicious I forgot that I should be taking photos for you! Karaage is crispy chicken in onion sauce and a great way to start the meal! Pictured below right is the Chocolate Ginger Cake and Nigori Genshu (or cloudy sake). They were priced at $6.95 and $11.00 respectively. There are certainly better desserts around the world showcase, but this wasn’t bad by any stretch. I might suggest that you skip this in favor of a crounut, though. 😉 Do you consider Tokyo Dining to be one of your favorite restaurants? What do you like to get there? Let us know in the comments below.

108 109

Moving over to Disney’s Hollywood Studios, I was finally able to take a look inside the new Starbucks! I think this one is my favorite and the cast member greeting out front even agreed it’s the nicest one on property. Of course, there were gobs of the “you are here” mugs for the park. I would include barcode information but I’ve heard from several different people that they aren’t available to order over the phone. It’s a shame because this one is really pretty!

111 112

The hat is looking rather steampunk these days as it continues to be dismantled. So why was such a large group gathered in front of this eyesore, you ask? There was actually a great streetmosphere show going on! If this is a sign of things to come I wish they would have taken the hat down ages ago! I only caught the tail end or I would have recorded it for you. This group is so funny and talented!

114

Also newish at the Studios is the arrival of Cinderella’s coach from the film being released next month. My hubby has committed to take me and I can’t wait to check this one out. It seems to be slowly taking over the Studios with signage and the movie preview being offered. Is Cinderella the new Elsa? You be the judge! 😉

115 116

Speaking of Elsa I found a couple goodies that looked new to me while I was shopping at the Studios. On the below left is a new ornament barcode: 400008 983594 that retails for $17.95. I also hadn’t see the frame below right before. You can order it with barcode: 400008 910910 and it retails for $19.95. The frames were going fast, though. If you’d like one you’d better call quick!

117 118

Before we know it Easter will be here, and Disney has released the plush to prove it. Each of this dolls retail for $16.95 and you can order them with 400008 919609 for Mickey and 400008 919616 for Minnie. I really like the trend of Mickey holding Duffy for these seasonal plush! On the below right is a hat I really need your opinion on! I immediately liked it, but when I picked it up I liked it even more because it’s a rain hat! It’s a little pricey at $29.95, but I think I might need it! So the question is: cute or tacky? Let me know in the comments below! Oh, and if you’d like your own the barcode is: 400007 974395.

119 120

With my shopping done I headed for the Magic Kingdom. I wanted to caution you that if you have FOB (Fear of Birds), then it might be tough for you to visit the park these days! I’ve never seen so many seagulls hanging around the seven seas lagoon! They were actually riding along on the ferry boat. I can’t imagine Disney won’t do something about that, but it was kind of neat to see them all. The boat landing with the maroon roof seems to really attract them. All the green roofs were vacant but that maroon one was just covered with birds!

121 122

For the fourth weekend in a row the weather was glorious! (Remind me of that when the bone melting heat of the summer comes!) Since I was on my own I decided to ride something that nobody will ever ride with me and take you along. Please enjoy your spin on the Mad Tea Party:

Over at The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh I was able to use my FastPass+ without any trouble. I was also lucky enough that the ride hard stopped right in front of the scene below. The other people in my hunny pot were obviously not pleased that this happened, but it’s a photographers dream! 🙂 It seemed the audio had gotten out of sync with the animatronics so some kind of reset was required. In just a couple of minutes the ride moved along with greatly improved sound.

123

Over at Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover you could really appreciate how beautiful the weather was this weekend! I’m guilty of editing photos and making the sky a little too blue or making colors pop to perfection, but this is straight out of the camera. This is exactly what you would have seen on a grand circle tour of Tomorrowland on Sunday. I wish you all could have been there, it was the prettiest day!

124

Over at The Barnstormer, I started having trouble with FastPass+ reservations. I had the app pulled up and ready to show but on the third scan of my band it somehow worked. It’s very hit or miss if my FastPass+ works. I was finally able to get a possible answer on why this might be happening. I was told that the system is only designed for people to have ONE Magicband. As a passholder I currently have three that Disney has sent me and all are showing active. This creates “phantom” accounts. I’ve deactivated all but one band and will keep everyone updated on how that pans out. In the meantime, enjoy a ride on the Barnstormer! 🙂

I strolled by Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid and was very sad to see construction walls.  I’m excited for our version to possibly get the black light treatment from California, but I’m really missing it. I don’t think I realized how much I like this ride until the walls went up. I’m counting the days until it reopens! Can’t wait to get video for you guys of the changes!

126

The park was getting pretty crowded, but I had a little time to kill before my FastPass+ for the parade. I decided to stop by Country Bear Jamboree, because that is always a good idea! Maybe I’m just used to sneaking around the crowds, but I couldn’t believe how full the theater was. Even better, the crowd was really into it. This show is so much better when the crowd claps and sings along.

127

Back on Main Street heading toward the parade viewing, the hub hasn’t changed much since my last photos there. The decorative scrims are also still up while they do a little more cleanup. I also wonder if there is a Pandora sign under there waiting to be revealed this weekend! I’ll be sure to let you know if it does. 🙂

128

At the FastPass+ viewing for the Festival of Fantasy parade my Magicband failed me again. 🙁 The cast member was not going to let me in and obviously didn’t believe me. It wasn’t until I showed on my phone that I had the FastPass+ that they let me in. It’s so uncomfortable being treated like a liar because this technology doesn’t work. I really hope deleting my other magicbands will fix it!

Of course, it was all worth it because check out these photos! 🙂 I took hundreds but here are some of my favorites. Please feel free to click on any photo to see a larger version. The parade was the perfect fix after the FP+ fiasco and the perfect end to my Disney day.

129 130

131 132

133 134

That’s everything for this week. Now let’s see what you can expect if you’re visiting next week.

135Crowd Calendar: Crowds will be picking up this weekend. Be sure to have your TouringPlans ready!

Weather: It will be a little chilly this weekend. Be sure to pack for it especially if you’ll be outdoors at night.

Remember: The Pandora store is rumored to open this weekend on Main Street! If you’re in town be sure to check it out!

Here’s my top tip for this week: It’s a good idea to have screen shots of your FP+ reservations saved on your phone as the app sometimes fails you when you need it. It took me several minutes to get my parade FP+ pulled up on the app and in that time I lost the prime viewing spot I’d gotten there early and waited for. Next time I’ll be prepared!

Do you have any news I missed or any requests for coverage next week? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below, and thanks so much for reading! I’m wishing all of you the Best Week Ever, until next time!

Daisy Lauren

I'm just about the biggest Touring Plans fan ever and still pinching myself that they let me be part of the team! I love sharing all things Disney with you and always appreciate your ideas and feedback at: daisylauren@touringplans.com or @dizdaisylauren on twitter Above everything else THANK YOU for reading and commenting!

21 thoughts on “Daisy Lauren’s Best Week Ever: February 12, 2015

• February 12, 2015 at 9:29 am

Do you think CMs have started to require proof (instead of the honor system) because word has gotten around that due to the troubles you could just say you had a FP+ and get in, and people were taking advantage of it? Or is there another reason I might be missing?

• February 12, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Hi Jennie – it must be! And I know that people were abusing it too. I feel like the system was designed for folk on vacation (short term use) and not for people that live here and go all the time. But then, I guess I’m very much in the minority! 😉 I’m just glad it works for you guys! Thanks for commenting!

• February 12, 2015 at 10:17 am

I vote cute on the Mickey hat, I would totally buy and wear it! Thanks for the update, it was very enjoyable.

• February 12, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Hi Jillian! Thanks for the vote. Now I have a good excuse to get one. 🙂 I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I love doing this for you guys. I’m the luckiest girl in the world! Thank you for commenting and let me know anytime there is something you’d like to see next week.

• February 12, 2015 at 1:06 pm

I bought the hat last month…2 of them in fact. 🙂 They’re adorable and I really liked the fact it was a rain hat. It did start raining our last day there and that hat coupled with my raincoat was perfect…no need for an umbrella which left my hands free for shopping, lol! Am I the only one that has to feel everything I look at in a store? I ‘look’ more with my hands than my eyes, lol.
    Great blog post as always, I really enjoy them and the pictures are always great!

• February 12, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Thank you, Dawn! I’m so glad you shared, because I was wondering if they were really waterproof. And I agree, I touch everything. I’m so glad you appreciate the update – I really love doing it for you. And thank you extra for the compliments on the photos, I really try! 🙂 Let me know if there is ever anything you’d like to see here. I do it for you!

• February 12, 2015 at 2:00 pm

So sorry to hear about your FPP woes! I currently have 5 bands (soon to be 6) on MDE and I haven’t had the troubles that you have experienced. I wonder if it’s because yours is purely a AP (I have an AP as well) and you don’t book a resort stay?

Regarding your request for an opinion of the hat – LOVE IT!!! I vote for a picture with you wearing it! 🙂

• February 12, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Hey Belinda – are you using all 5 bands? Or always using the latest one? Disney sent me a new one but I’ve been using my old one and that might be what I’m doing wrong. It says online that you can have multiple bands active at once.. but I wonder if it’s a glitch. I really appreciate you sharing your experience.

Thanks for the feedback on the hat! 🙂 I don’t say it often, but I stay anonymous because of my day job. That’s why you never see photos of me. It isn’t that I don’t love you guys! <3

• February 13, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Hi Lauren,

My DD and I have about 4 bands each in a variety of colours. We bring them all and choose whichever one matches our outfits of the day. Sorry to hear yours is giving you so much grief. Great tip about the FP+ reservations. I might even use it as my screen saver each day!

• February 16, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Hey Catherine! Thanks for the info – I would so give up matching if the darn things would just work for me! 🙂 We didn’t have any trouble this last weekend so maybe it’s fixed! Good idea on the screen saver!!

• February 12, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Yes, I do use all of my bands – ha!!! Kinda embarrassed to say that I like to color coordinate my bands to the clothing choice for that day! ha!! I know – massive dork!

I tested this exact thing (using multiple bands on a single vacation) on our recent trip (January 17 – 31st 2015) and will do it again in May when I’m there for Flower and Garden 🙂 I just learned (on WDW Today Podcast) that MDE will only allow 8 bands on your account at one time – so when I get close to that I will start deactivating the oldest bands.

I totally understand the “no photo” policy 🙂

• February 12, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Same here–I’m just back from WDW, and had 4 of my 8 bands along. I’d heard about a limit on the number of bands you can have on one account back when the bands were first being used (I’m pretty sure I was told the limit was 6), but when I asked on this trip the Cast Member said there was no limit.

I’ll see in May, when thanks to a split stay I’m likely to get 2 more. I’d refuse that round, but my travel buddy still doesn’t have a complete set of all the colors (except pink which neither of us likes) and I don’t think there’s way to refuse the bands for only 1 of the party.

• February 16, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Hi Guys – that’s so weird! I wonder why the system hates me. I deleted all of my bands but one and it worked this past weekend. Fingers crossed that fixed it. I’ll just be jealous of you girls that get to match your outfits!! (Hmm.. if I’m jealous of the matching bands that makes me whatever is bigger than a massive dork, right?? LOL!)

• February 12, 2015 at 11:55 pm

Ugh. The Magic Bands. I think I have over 15. It is a HUGE disaster. I have spent hours and hours trying to get this fixed. I deactivate them. I mark them as “lost”. Something I learned this past summer when none of our bands would work is that Cast can see a Red/Yellow/Green of our bands. Even when we mark them as “deactivated” they aren’t truly. They are still in the system. You may have to go and get them removed by Guest Relations. This helps–but is a quick fix. The system isn’t prepared for people to have multiple Magic Bands.

We’re DVC, and we do split stays all the time. It’s not unusual for a trip to have 3 Magic Bands. Plus, our AP Band. Make that 4 or 5 trips per year for a year and a half now, and we have too many bands.

It is a huge headache. I’d love to see the creator of My Magic stand at the concierge desk for 3 hours with his huge ziplock bag of Magic Bands almost in tears because 3 hours later you still can’t get it to WORK!!!

Just 2 weeks ago when we had this whole problem happen again, they did mention that soon we will be able to “opt out” of getting new Magic Bands. Please and THANK YOU!

Good luck getting your account fixed!

• February 16, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Oh, Heather – I want to give you a big ol’ virtual hug. I can hear it in your voice. You’ve been through what I’ve been through!! While I’m sad it’s happened to you, I’m happy I’m not alone. Thank you for sharing in my frustration and best of luck getting your bands working!

• February 13, 2015 at 10:29 pm

I can’t believe all the troubles you have with your magicbands! I am VERY thankful that I haven’t ever had any problems, with the sole exception of it not letting me into my room when I was staying at one of the resorts upon check in… which was fixed with a simple call to the front desk (I didn’t want to walk allllll the way back, dragging my stuff).

I can’t imagine it really has something to do with multiple magicbands… I have 10 (literally 10… I might stay at the resorts too frequently) and I use all of them completely interchangeably. I pick which one I use based solely on matching my outfit, or matching the season.

The one headache that ever happened with them wasn’t really even with my magicbands, but with my mother’s. She also is annual passholder, and my father was attempting to help out with linking them with me as a friend to plan fastpasses together, and somehow he assigned her ticket to me… meaning I then inherited all her magicbands as well (she had maybe 4). Even though Disney tells you that they can’t be reassigned after activation, they were, and they couldn’t move them back, because they can’t. The cast member never got that, either… she just kept telling me it was impossible, even though we had my magicbands marked with my my name and my mother’s marked with hers; it was a waste of over an hour. I still am mad they didn’t seem to care; they just told me it wasn’t possible, and I was mistaken. Ugh.

Anyway, I am so sorry your band isn’t the flawless thing it should be, because when it works, it’s great. I hope you’ll figure it out soon!

• February 16, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Katie – that’s so weird. When we called because our Magic Bands didn’t work on one of our two rooms last month they told us we HAD to go back to the desk. Thankfully, we had access to one room to leave all the stuff. I wonder if it varies by resort?

We had an issue when the system first came out where it decided I *WAS* my mother. It transferred everything to do with my mom to me and deleted me all together. Until I renewed my pass it still said my mom’s name whenever I used it. We spent hours in guest relations and they just couldn’t fix it. It’s really been a nightmare. I can deal with not having fastpasses… but when they delete tickets that you’ve paid for what do you do?

I agree – it’s great when it works but it’s been a mess! 🙁

• February 14, 2015 at 10:14 pm

Just got back from a point rental stay at Beach Club Villas today. First time there in forever myself. Sadly, the temps on Feb 13 were too cold for the kids to swim in the awesome sand bottom pool there. Regretfully we did not splurge on the kitchen sink at Beaches and Cream since we weren’t very hungry but it would have been fun for the novelty of it. Probably still my favorite Diseney resort.

• February 16, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Hi Jeff! How fun, I’m so glad you had a nice trip. It was really chilly while you were here. It normally isn’t so cold! Hope you had some fun! 🙂

• February 16, 2015 at 6:33 am

My friend and I each bought the hat on a rainy day in july. We got a lot of complements and questions from CMs wondering where we had purchsed them. One photopass photographer stopped us because he wanted a photo of the hats. They do get a little hot as they are waterproof and don’t breathe.

• February 16, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Hi Anne! Huh, those hats have been out a while. I wonder how I missed them? I normally have a radar for cuteness! 😉 I didn’t even think about them being hot in the summer. Thanks for sharing!