Walt Disney World Newsworthy Notes – 7/7/15

Happy Tuesday! I’m here with some more little nuggets that will help make your next Walt Disney World vacation that much better. (Well, hopefully.) Who’s ready to jump right in to the fun?

• The Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party at the Magic Kingdom has officially been replaced by the Wishes Dessert Party. The new version is relatively similar to the previous version, with a few additional desserts, and a higher cost–$49.00 per adult (ages 10 and up) and $29.00 per child (ages 3-9).
  • Also at the Magic Kingdom, as a reminder, Liberty Tree Tavern is now closed for refurbishment as they work on the kitchen area.
  • There has also been a character meet and greet location change. Now guests can meet some of your favorite characters from The Princess and the Frog at Heritage House in Liberty Square. The location was previously a FastPass+ Kiosk Station and prior to that, the location sold merchandise.
  • The Move It! Shake It! Dance & Play It! Street Party will be presented at only 12:30 p.m. and 5:40 p.m. on the following dates:  July 10, July 14, July 15, July 21, and July 22.

• The Walt Disney World Railroad will be closed for refurbishment from September 28 through November 5.
  • A new test will be taking place at Disney’s Animal Kingdom for how park opening will work.  On non-Extra Magic Hour days, guests will be able to enter The Oasis up to 30 minutes prior to the park’s official open. Guests entering early will be able to set up FastPass+ selections, rent wheelchairs, and speak with Cast Members. No attractions will be open at this time.  This test is expected to last until the end of July.
  • For those looking to meet Pocahontas, you can now do so at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at the Discovery Island Character Landing location
  • Captain EO will be returning to the Magic Eye Theater at Epcot on July 19.
  • Guests can now take a break from the heat and charge their personal devices in comfort at Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios in the brand new relaxation lounges. With new seating and additional charging areas, the new Guest relaxation area also offers two food & beverage carts. The one at Epcot is located in the corridor behind Character Spot and Club Cool and the one at Disney’s Hollywood Studios can be found where The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow was.
  • Doc McStuffins is now meeting guests visiting Disney’s Hollywood Studios in a setting inspired by her playhouse clinic. The meet and greet can be found nearby Disney Junior – Live on Stage.
  • Speaking of Disney Junior, kids can splash into summer with the new Disney Junior Pool Party at all of the Walt Disney World Resort hotel pools throughout the day. Youngsters can compete in poolside games like Sofia Says, Doc McStuffins trivia, and sing and dance to favorite hit songs from the popular Disney Channel and Disney Junior.
  • The Pirate Rooms at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort are being re-imagined in Trinidad South. The rooms will now include details collected from Captains Jack Sparrow’s adventures including Aztec coins, sword handles, a Jolly Roger, custom lanterns, pirate map-themed carpets and the vanity that is themed to look like a captain’s desk.
  • New hand and foot treatments are now available at the Zahanati Massage & Fitness Center, located at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. They include a 45 miute manicure for $35, a 50 minute pedicure for $55, and a 15 minute polis change for $12. To schedule one of these appointments, call 407-WDW-SPAS.

That’s it for this edition…any thoughts?

Rikki Niblett

I am a co-host of the Be Our Guest Podcast and do lots of other fun Disney stuff all around the interwebs! You can follow me on Twitter or Instagram at @RikkiNibs or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/rikkinibs

7 thoughts on “Walt Disney World Newsworthy Notes – 7/7/15

• July 7, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Are you planning to have anyone from the Touring Plans staff to review the “new” Wishes dessert party? I tentatively have a reservation for Dec. 20, but I will possibly cancel. The price is just really high! However, it is my son’s 7th birthday *and* it is likely that it will be mega crowded at MK that day. So maybe it will help us see fireworks and such without trouble? I dunno. It might be better to just stake out our spots early. Your thoughts? Because yah, $150ish for my family. EEWWW

• July 7, 2015 at 1:33 pm

We did the dessert party last August and were sorely disappointed. If you make the reservation thinking that you will have a lovely and relaxing view of the fireworks, you will be disappointed as well. You can’t see the fireworks from the vast majority of the tables. Everyone huddles together in the viewing areas much like they do elsewhere in the park. The lines for the dessert tables are very long and in the Florida heat the chilled desserts are lukewarm by the time you’re able to eat them. Going back for seconds was all but impossible in the time alloted because of the lines. I would not pay for it again based on my first experience unless the party I was with insisted on going. But with the price increase, oh my. I definitely wouldn’t. Absolutely not worth that price (and we are not frugal people).

• July 7, 2015 at 1:44 pm

This is helpful, Faith. Thank you. The thing is, I *would* be willing to pay a steep surcharge if it meant for sure it would be a guaranteed amazing view for all, amazing food, and etc.

I wish I did this before the price increase, because now it is just ridiculous.

We haven’t yet seen nighttime entertainment in the parks (on our first trip last year, we were all just too wiped out). Hopefully this trip we will make it! and yeah I do think I need to let this reservation go and get my refund.

• July 7, 2015 at 3:17 pm

There are a very few number of tables where you can see the fireworks from your table and even then your view is blocked by people who have to stand. Most of the tables are well under the roof of the terrace and you can’t see anything at all. And the lines are really quite long. I can’t stress that enough. They did have plenty of each dessert but you absolutely won’t eat anywhere near your money’s worth. Not even close. We were very disappointed by how warm the desserts were, too. They were not appetizing at that temp. At all. We both left there feeling like we had just thrown our money away. Completely wasted. It didn’t ruin our evening—don’t get me wrong: we are huge Disney World fans and very little, if anything, could have ruined our evening—but I would absolutely caution against it if you are expecting a great view that you can’t get elsewhere and a plethora of delicious, chilled desserts.

• July 7, 2015 at 3:33 pm

I wonder if the new dessert party addresses any of these issues? Better seating, better desserts, etc.?

• July 7, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Maybe! Hopefully, for sure! I would assume that the food and the location of the buffet tables would be improved upon, at the very least. But as far as seating goes, I don’t see how it is possible to resolve that issue because of the way in which the terrace was built. It should also be noted that the tables are assigned before your arrival and they will not allow you to move to a different table. Maybe you will be one of the lucky few who gets the coveted tables up front. I just know that at double the cost that it was a year ago, I would hope that there are major changes in store. It wasn’t worth the cost of $25.99, really.

• July 7, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Oh boy! Now we can all stop complaining about them closing things and not opening anything new to replace it at Studios. We are getting a lounge!! Oooohhh… Aaahhh… Joy. 🙁