Walt Disney World Newsworthy Notes – August 4, 2015

Hello again all!ย  This edition of Newsworthy Notes should have just been called “Refurbishment List for Walt Disney World Updated” because holy cow are there a lot of refurbishments that I am here to let you know about. Get ready, because some of these will impact your trips for both this fall, as well as some refurbishments that are slated for 2016 as well. (So make sure you look at the dates, because yes, some will say 2016 and some of those that say 2016 are extremely lengthy.)

[Ed:ย The below information was found on Disney’s Travel Agent site. Disney has since reverted the site back to the old refurbishment list, but we think this was a case of them giving away info that they didn’t mean to give away, so we’re sticking with it. You should be aware, however, that this means the refurbishments far in the future may fluctuate even more than usual.]

Magic Kingdom:ย

Disney’s Animal Kingdom:

• Primeval Whirl will be closed from August 17 through November 12, 2015.
  • Pizzafari will be closed from August 24 through October 19, 2015.

Typhoon Lagoon:

• Its annual refurbishment will take place from January 3 through March 12, 2016.

Blizzard Beach:

• Its annual refurbishment will take place from October 25, 2015 through January 2, 2016.

Restaurants:

• Flying Fish Restaurant at Disney’s BoardWalk Inn will be closed for an almost 8 month refurbishment, February 1 through September 30, 2016.

Resorts:

• Ol’ Man Island Pool at Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort will be closed from January 11 through February 2, 2016.

This is the latest update that I have seen according to Disney. Do keep in mind that refurbishments can and do change without notice and at any time. To keep updated with the latest refurbishments, make sure to check out our Walt Disney World Refurbishment Schedule.

Rikki Niblett

I am a co-host of the Be Our Guest Podcast and do lots of other fun Disney stuff all around the interwebs! You can follow me on Twitter or Instagram at @RikkiNibs or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/rikkinibs

20 thoughts on “Walt Disney World Newsworthy Notes – August 4, 2015

• August 4, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Is it common that these schedules change? There a few on here that are very close to when we visit.

• August 4, 2015 at 7:56 pm

It depends honesty. The further out they are, the more likely they are to change. The sooner they are to happening, the more likely it is to remain the same. I’ll make sure to keep you all posted if and when things majorly change.

• August 4, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Is it weird that I’m super bummed about the peoplemover? It’s closed for exactly our trip. Exactly. How does that happen? Lol. But, I’m actually pretty happy that will be the only ride down that I can tell so that’s not too bad. ๐Ÿ™‚

• August 5, 2015 at 10:55 am

Not at all…I would be very very disappointed …that’s too bad..

• August 5, 2015 at 1:05 pm

I agree, I would be super-upset if the Peoplemover were down when I was visiting. It’s one of my favorite things to do as my last attraction at Magic Kingdom.

• August 4, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Any news about the WDW Railroad closing this fall? There are a few reports out there that it will close for refurbishment but with different dates.

• August 5, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Yes. The Walt Disney World Railroad will be closed from October 12 through November 20, 2015. I didn’t include it in this because it had been announce previously. This was just all stuff that hadn’t been announced.

• August 5, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Thanks. I found it was posted on another site with these dates “Walt Disney World Railroad- closed 9/28/2015- 11/5/2015” and I saw this site’s “October 12 through November 20, 2015”. I am hoping for the first set of dates as we will be there Nov 10-18. We like to use the train to get around the park with less walking for our 5 year old. Thanks for the updates

• August 5, 2015 at 7:19 pm

My dates are from Disney. I think maybe the dates have changed and the other site didn’t change theirs.

• August 5, 2015 at 7:19 am

My favorite ride is Space Mountain, closed Jan 11-15th. My birthday trip is Jan 11-15th! Guess I’ll just have to plan another trip!

• August 5, 2015 at 8:34 am

I note that Hollywood Studios is not on the list. I guess that’s because the only things left there are sidewalks and tumbleweeds.

๐Ÿ˜›

• August 5, 2015 at 8:40 am

That’s so sad that I didn’t even notice they didn’t include the Studios! But, according to their schedule after a search, it looks like Little Mermaid is the only thing scheduled to be down. Hopefully that stays the case because I love HS ๐Ÿ™‚

• August 5, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Maybe some good news is that Pirate of the Caribbean should be re-opening in September.

• August 5, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Not for us. Pirates reopens the day we fly out of Orlando. I have very fond memories of the one time I’ve been on it.

• August 6, 2015 at 9:31 pm

A bunch of times I’ve found rides open a few days early before the posted dates, you might get lucky, I’d keep on eye out if you’re in the MK the last few days of your trip.

• August 5, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Hopefully BTMRR won’t start on time for some unknown reason, or will go really really fast (neither seem realistic but a guy can dream), my trip is smack in the middle of 3 month refurb and it’s probably my favorite.

• August 5, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Due to how far away it is on the schedule, keep hope, because things like that can and do often change. I don’t know if it will, but there’s a possibility.

• August 5, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Flying Fish Cafe…. Waaaaaaaaaaa that’s our absolute favourite.

• August 6, 2015 at 8:38 am

its a small world is closed when we have booked to go – my husband is delighted(!) but its a tradition which we will have to break. Another tradition is having our photo taken in the middle of the square in the United Kingdom – so we can still do that. In fact, come to think about it, we have lots of traditions when we go so maybe just losing one isn’t that bad! However, it would have been better if they had been refurbishing Stitch instead – LOL.

• August 6, 2015 at 9:07 am

Thank you for the update. I’ve been waiting to see what’s going down in Jan 2016. I’ll be pretty psyched if the Splash Mnt refurb is really just for a few days. We haven’t ridden it in years as it is has been down for weeks at a time each January for several years running. Ditto with Blizzard Beach. Looking forward to being able to enjoy both!
    Bummed about Buzz though! I was going to use the tips I learned on TP Blog about holding down the button and finally getting a super high score!