Disneyland Tested FastPass+ Style Self Scanning at Space Mountain Today

IMG_7673

If today was any indication, rubber RFID bracelet enthusiasts may soon have another theme park to enjoy them in. Disneyland conducted a test at Space Mountain using scanners similar to the ones used for FastPass+ at Walt Disney World. The scanners used during today’s test didn’t feature RFID technology; they simply scanned the barcode at the bottom of the FASTPASS ticket. After the FASTPASS ticket was scanned, a light turned green if the ticket was accepted. The Space Mountain FASTPASS tickets distributed today looked exactly the same as they usually do, which makes sense if you believe the rumors that say MagicBands may not be a part of Disneyland’s final system (barcodes on tickets, annual passes, and cell phones would be used instead). Is this an early step in FastPass+ and MyMagic+ being implemented at Disneyland? We’re going to say yes, but Disney hasn’t confirmed anything yet. It’s also worth noting that cast members stationed at the scanners were unable to answer any questions about the test.

On our Disneyland Resort FASTPASS page we’ve had the following text at the top for a couple of years now: “Although it is expected to make its way to Disneyland in the future, Walt Disney World’s FastPass+ (which allows ride reservations to be made days or months in advance) is not currently available in California.” Maybe soon we’ll finally be able to update that! Tell us what you think about the possibility of FastPass+ at Disneyland. What are your are your expectations or fears for the system. Let us know in the comments below.

Guy Selga Jr.

Hi, I'm Guy Selga. Researcher and blogger for TouringPlans.com. Disneyland local and appreciator of Disney theme park history. I proudly represent TouringPlans on the west coast. Twitter: @guyselga

12 thoughts on “Disneyland Tested FastPass+ Style Self Scanning at Space Mountain Today

• October 19, 2015 at 8:20 pm

I would rather not have the Fastpass+ at Disneyland. I wouldn’t be a huge fan of having to make Fastpass reservations up to 6 months in advance. I would rather do it the day of when I get to the park. Plus, I usually don’t have trips planned out that far in advance!

• October 19, 2015 at 11:20 pm

I highly doubt 6 months would be the benchmark at which they open FPP availability for DL. The planning Mecca that is WDW only does a 60 day availability and with DLR in general barely releasing their schedule at the 60 day mark (and lately even less!) I think something around the lines of 45-30 days would make more sense. But I would be sad to see having to schedule more in advance, especially since DLR had always been more relaxed in terms of planning.

• October 19, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Fast passes should be gotten on the day of your visit. It ruins the spur of the moment trip by not having planned to go to this special place by having to wait in line. The current system gives all visitors a chance to get a fast pass on that day and enjoy the magic

• October 20, 2015 at 12:27 am

I hope they don’t do that at Disneyland. I am a crazy planner,and I am excited to try it out at Disney World next month, but Disneyland is different. I like being able to be more spontaneous there.

• October 20, 2015 at 7:57 am

No, no, no! Due to the nightmare that is DHS and the horrific standby waits that FP+ has created, I’m ditching WDW for DLR in 2016. I wouldn’t mind Magic Bands (I actually kinda enjoy going to the park with nothing but my band), but leave the traditional FP alone!

• October 20, 2015 at 9:40 am

Even after the incredible mess that FP+ has created, lengthening standby lines for rides, they still want FP+ at DL? Ugh.

Let’s just hope that this test was simply an automatic scanning of FP to determine validity, and nothing else.

• October 20, 2015 at 11:05 am

It is not spur of the moment or spontaneous when you have to wait in line 30+ minutes to just get a fastpass the day of… We are WDW vets and found our DL trip 2 weeks ago interesting… It is a different mindset there. It is a slower pace and people stand in lines for everything. People wait in lines for 45 minutes to get in lounges. They start standing in the fastpass line during Magic mornings (early entry days) to wait for Radiator Springs Racers fastpasses to be distributed at regular park opening. Dining reservations were not needed except for the extremely popular places. Our reservations I had made were like dining fastpasses. Instead of the 30-45 minute walkup wait we were seated in 5 minutes. The majority of guests just don’t plan there. Of course I would have loved the My Magic at Disneyland with my fastpasses picked before I left IL, but I am a planner. It is a different park with a different touring style.

• October 20, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Nooooooooooooo!!! Leave FastPass the way it is at Disneyland!!

• October 20, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Oh, please….we ditched WDW this year for DL in Dec and the stupid fp+ was just one reason….so many attractions closed, the value for us just is no longer there. I hate the fp+ system and dearly hope that DL will not be using it. I don’t think most locals in Cali would like it as it works now at WDW. The fastpass system, as it is, works fine…..please do not screw up DL….

• October 21, 2015 at 12:53 pm

The best part of the Disney World Fastpass system is not having to go to the attraction to get a Fastpass, and also being able to choose your return window, so I hope to see those aspects at Disneyland. I personally like planning in advance too, but I don’t think this work well at Disneyland

• October 21, 2015 at 2:35 pm

We also plan to go to ditch Florida for California because we dislike FastPass+ so much.

• October 21, 2015 at 4:19 pm