FastPass+ Availability at Walt Disney World – Update 3

Since the FastPass+ system was introduced in 2013, Disney has made big changes, such as moving attractions between tiers, and subtle changes. One subtle change that we’ve noticed this past year is that Disney has increased the number of day-of FastPasses available. That is, you’ll find FastPasses available for rides on the day you’re in the park now more than ever.

Giving out more day-of FastPasses benefits you and Disney. The benefit to you, obviously, is that you might get a FastPass that wasn’t available when you made your advance FastPass selections 30 or 60 days ago.

The benefit to Disney happens when a FastPass ride breaks down unexpectedly. Remember that when this happens, your FastPass selection for that ride can be transferred to almost any other ride. If a high-volume ride like Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down for several hours, the other FastPass attractions in the Magic Kingdom have to accept thousands of unplanned FastPasses. By increasing the number of day-of FastPasses, Disney has to replace fewer made-in-advance FastPasses, which puts less strain on the other rides to pick up the slack.

For easy reading, the charts below separate out out day-of FastPass+ reservations from advance FastPass+ reservations. The crowd levels shown are the same as in our Disney Crowd Calendar.

Day-Of FastPass+ Availability

The tables below show when you can expect FastPass+ reservations to run out. An empty cell means that there is no day-of availability. Attractions in yellow generally do not have day-of FastPasses available.

It is possible to get a FastPass+ reservation for any attraction on the day of your visit. It may be unlikely, but possible. Attraction availability and time slots change continuously. If you keep refreshing the My Disney Experience app it is possible that a FastPass+ reservation will appear.

Advance FastPass+ Reservation

As long as guests have park admission and a My Disney Experience account, they can make FastPass+ reservations 30 days in advance. Guests staying at a Disney Resort hotel can make FastPass+ reservations 60-days in advance. “Start” is important in the prior statement. Guest can make FastPass+ reservations for all days from check-in to check-out once they are 60-days from their check-in day. So if a guest has a 7-day reservation, they can actually make FastPass+ reservations up to 68 days in advance.

The charts below show the number of days prior to a park visit that FastPass+ reservations runs out.

At first, it may seem counter-intuitive that FastPass+ reservations run out faster on days with a lower crowd level. The explanation for this is that lower crowd days have shorter park hours. The shorter park hours means less FastPass+ time slots. This causes days with a low crowd level to have a smaller pool of FastPass+ reservations.

Take Away

Avatar Flight of Passage and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train FastPasses run out the fastest. Even at 60 days prior to your visit, the selection will be sparse. Getting FastPasses for these two attractions will be easier for days later in your vacation. Frozen Ever After and Na’vi River Journey FastPasses will be sparse for off-site guests.

Schedule your advanced FastPass+ reservations early in the day so you can get additional FastPasses.  Use the day-of run out times to prioritize which attractions you should reserve FastPasses in advance.

FastPass+ still works for people who do not want to plan 60-days in advance. It is possible to be spontaneous at Walt Disney World and be efficient in your touring.

Has your FastPass+ strategy changed with the evolution of the system? Let us know in the comments.

Steve Bloom

By helping TouringPlans.com continue to reach the most accurate crowd level predictions, Steve finally found a way to meld his training in statistical analysis with a lifelong passion for Disney. He first visited the Magic Kingdom in 1972, just a few months after it opened. Now he enjoys frequent trips with his two kids. At age four his son insisted on wearing cowboy boots to reach the height requirement for Test Track, and his daughter believes that a smoked turkey leg and Dole Whip make a perfectly balanced meal. Even though she doesn't quite get it, Steve's wife is supportive of his Disney activities.

19 thoughts on “FastPass+ Availability at Walt Disney World – Update 3

• April 18, 2018 at 9:36 am

Great stuff here. Bookmarking for my upcoming trip!

• April 18, 2018 at 10:18 am

This is one of the most useful articles I’ve encountered here, and that’s not a knock on your usual content. I’m a numbers guy and this illuminates so much on how best to plan for the opening of our FP+ window. Thanks!

• April 18, 2018 at 10:54 am

I love this! Thank you so much for these charts. I have no doubt that this will be a great help in choosing and getting FP for my Sept. trip!

• April 18, 2018 at 11:45 am

Yeah, have to say this is amazing. Only ones I found hard to believe were the Toy Story Mania and RRC being able to be booked just a day in advance.

• April 18, 2018 at 12:15 pm

I suspect just because its available a day in advance doesn’t necessarily mean it’s at a decent time.

• April 18, 2018 at 12:14 pm

The parade at MK does not have FPP. That went away about the time Tony’s started doing parade viewing dining packages, June 7, 2016. Evidently the FPP charts in the book also need to be updated.

• April 18, 2018 at 1:52 pm

i am unable to get Toy Story Mania for June 18. Based on this info, I should be able to easily get it. I am wondering if they are not offering fast passes for it since it is so close to the launch of Toy Story Land? On a similar topic, any idea if a soft opening would be happening that early?

• April 18, 2018 at 2:11 pm

TSM has closed two of its three tracks because of reconfiguration related to the new Toy Story Land, and it was announced that there would be no FP+ available until 6/29, so it’s standby only until then. It is, of course, possible that FP+ may be available before that date, as Disney has been known to change its mind, but that’s the official word for now.

• April 18, 2018 at 2:12 pm

Thanks, joanne! I had not seen that info. I figured it had to due with the opening of the new land.

• April 18, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Good info, but I think you should emphasize more that it is very possible to get a FP+ for almost any attraction on the day of the visit, as long as one is willing to be diligent and persistent about refreshing the MDE app. We just got back from a week at WDW and had made FP+ for the first three days of our trip but hadn’t decided on an itinerary for the other three days. I was able to get any attraction I wanted on the same day – including 7DMT and FoP – by refreshing many times. The MDE app may keep telling you that there are no more FP+ available, but just keep refreshing. If a time comes up that you don’t want, take it anyway, and then try to modify that time to one you prefer. I can’t promise that this technique will always work for everyone all the time, but I can say that it has honestly never failed me. We went on every attraction we wanted to go on (sometimes multiple times) and got FP+ for all of them, often on the same day.

• April 18, 2018 at 7:14 pm

That’s great to hear, as we may be staying off-site for the first time on our next trip! Thanks for sharing your strategy and insight!

• April 22, 2018 at 10:07 am

How many people were in your party? I find this encouraging, but we’re a family of 4 and I’m guessing this would make day-of FP+ more difficult.

• April 18, 2018 at 3:16 pm

>At first, it may seem counter-intuitive that FastPass+ reservations run out faster on days with a lower crowd level. The explanation for this is that lower crowd days have shorter park hours.

Also, all those people who can’t get a 7DMT FP+ at 30 days out are going to pick something else.

• April 18, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Very useful info, Thank you. This will really help with my fastpass strategy.

• April 19, 2018 at 11:43 am

Really great article and I have watched all your videos. I am hoping these day off Fp times hold true. Our MK day I have our first three schedule 10:30,11:30,12:30 so we hope to snag some more while in the park. Thanks again!

• April 19, 2018 at 12:42 pm

My husband and I visited late February/early March. I checked every day and found that there were a lot of Flight of Passages fastpasses that suddenly became available a couple of weeks before the trip. And, thanks to constantly refreshing the app, I was able to get same Na’vi River fastpasses. The moral of the story is never give up – just keep checking!

• April 19, 2018 at 12:58 pm

This is why I love TouringPlans! Thanks so much for not only including easy-to-read tables with intelligent break-downs, but for explanations that are succinct and make sense. As someone who grew up at WDW but has spent the last 20 years as a DLR regular, I have felt on my more recent WDW visits that FP+ took away the spontaneity at WDW (which we still enjoy at DLR, especially with MaxPass). But after reading this article, I agree with your closing comment that you can still have a great day without so much advance planning. Looking forward to putting this to the test in June (a trip for which we did make our 60-day FP+ reservations, however)!