New Touring Plans Hotel Page Format

TouringPlans readers may have noticed that we’ve been tinkering with the format of some of our Walt Disney World hotel pages. We’re streamlining the information to make it easier to skim quickly, while providing links to new pages giving deep dives into subject-specific information.

So far, the Boardwalk Inn page has undergone the largest overhaul. For comparison, the Contemporary Resort page is largely untouched.

We’d love it if you could take a second to do a compare/contrast on those two pages and let us know what you think. Leave us comments on what you like, or don’t like, about the new version. Thanks for your time!

Erin Foster

Erin Foster is an original member of the Walt Disney World Moms Panel at DisneyWorldMoms.com, a regular contributor to TouringPlans.com, and co-author of The Unofficial Guide to Disney Cruise Line. She's been to WDW, DL, DL Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland, Aulani, DVC Vero Beach, and DVC Hilton Head. She's a Platinum DCL cruiser and veteran of 10 Adventures by Disney trips. Erin lives near New York City, where she can often be found indulging in her other obsession - Broadway theater. Erin can be reached on Twitter @MsErinFoster.

8 thoughts on “New Touring Plans Hotel Page Format

• August 22, 2018 at 9:15 am

I like the new format a lot, in particular that the room pictures/description are at the top (which is what’s most important to me) and the restaurants are at the top too. Between them, though, I would love to see pictures/description of the pool because after the room, that’s the next most important thing on my list.

I also like how the reader comments are easy to notice in the new format.

• August 22, 2018 at 11:27 am

I really like the “How Disney’s Contemporary Resort Compares to Other Disney Deluxe Resorts” section close to the top of the Contemporary page; it would be nice to have something similar about the Boardwalk, with brief comparisons to Yacht/Beach/Swan/Dolphin. Otherwise, I prefer the Boardwalk format, especially the little links that make navigation easier.

2 suggestions for Boardwalk:
    1. Include another picture of the main pool. That would be important to our family. And I thought it was a Disney blog rule that any review of Boardwalk had to include a picture of the clown mouth slide.
    2. Put the travel times to the parks in the section that discusses travel to the parks, and clarify and review for consistency. Readers shouldn’t see this: “Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios can also be accessed on foot or by boat from the dock near on the BoardWalk” and then have to scroll all the way down to the bottom and read through Strengths and Weaknesses to find walk times and then guess that the resort transportation commute time chart refers to boats for Epcot and DHS. And then wonder how to square the recommendation of “Walk or take the boat to Disney’s Hollywood Studios” with “15-minute walk to Disney’s Hollywood Studios” in Strengths and “26 minutes” to DHS in the commuting times chart.

• August 22, 2018 at 1:21 pm

I like the new format – it feels cleaner and easier to find what you are looking for. I think it’s good to have just a brief snippet of the dining locations rather than the full paragraphs, as then you can click on more info if you are interested. Some of the photos are a bit on the small side.

• August 22, 2018 at 11:54 pm

I like the new format. It’s easier to find the information you want quickly, but the pool needs it’s own section with some pictures. I think the pools are an important feature for most of the guests.

• August 23, 2018 at 8:14 am

I really like the new touring plans hotel page format and map feature of the custom plans. It lets you visually see how much walking you’ll be doing between rides – especially useful if you aren’t familiar with the layout of the parks.

I’ve picked walking speed “very relaxed” and it still didn’t seem like enough time between rides. They need to have a “I’m a window shopper, damn it” option.

• August 23, 2018 at 11:36 am

I really like the new format. I think the biggest and most critical change is not any reordering of the sections, but the inclusion of the hotlinked section list at the top. Not only does it give a quick overview of the kinds of information you’ll find on the page — that you may not know when arriving at the page otherwise unless you have already read quite a few of them — but it also enables you to find the section you are looking for quickly if you are just coming to check something specific. It really improves the usability of the page as a resource to be visited multiple times.

• August 23, 2018 at 8:16 pm

I like the quick links near the top of the page (under “Get to Know…”).
    One thing I like from the previous format are the direct links to the restaurant menus vs. the link to the restaurant page. It just saves clicks if I really want to compare places based on a certain meal, ie breakfast, dinner, etc.

• August 27, 2018 at 10:55 pm

The updated format is a great step forward! Much easier to consume information!

One issue that I think should be addressed is regarding the photos. In particular, the photos shown should be timestamped; in the past two years it seems that Disney is upgrading many of its rooms through comprehensive refurbs, but also lightening up a bit on theming. I’d really like to know when the photos were taken to understand if these are before or after refurbs, for example.

Related, I was so excited to get my print version of the 2019 guide – and though you quite laud the updates to Pop Century, the room rating remains the same as previously, and lower than the All-Star resorts that get somewhat panned; that’s confusing. It’d be worthwhile for ratings to match the text descriptions.