Rules for Additional FastPass+ Selection

Can you get same-day FastPass+ for a second top-tier attraction without first using at least two lower-tier FastPass+? People often ask us whether the following plan will work: enter the park with exactly one FastPass+ for a popular attraction at an early time, use that, and then immediately book FastPass+ for a another top-tier attraction.

First, let’s look at the rules. From the Walt Disney World website:

You can make multiple FastPass+ selections in advance each day for attractions, entertainment and Character Greetings. For most days, you will be able to select up to 3 FastPass+ experiences at a single theme park. However, the specific number depends on availability.

With valid park admission, choose your FastPass+ experiences up to 30 days in advance of each day of your theme park visit. If you are also staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel, you can start making your FastPass+ selections as early as 60 days―plus the number of days of your stay―prior to your check-in date.

Once you redeem your initial set of FastPass+ selections (or the last arrival window has passed), you can make another FastPass+ selection for the same day at an in-park kiosk or using your mobile device, up to park closing. After you redeem the additional FastPass+ pick, you can make more selections (one at a time).

If your ticket includes a Park Hopper Option, after you use your initial FastPass+ selections at the first park, you’ll be able to make additional FastPass+ selections (one at a time) at a kiosk or using the mobile app at the second park you visit that day, up to park closing.

At Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom, there is tiering of attractions. This means that of the initial FastPass+ selections, only one can come from “Group A,” where Group A has the most popular experiences.

Reading the Disney text, it sounds like you can definitely book another FastPass+ after using your initial set of “up to 3” FastPass+ selections. But it is not clear what (if any) tiering restrictions apply for the “additional FastPass+ selections (one at a time)” you can make.

With this uncertainty I mind, I entered Disney’s Hollywood Studios on August 30, 2019, with only a single FastPass+ selection reserved.

Below is the current FastPass+ tiering at Hollywood Studios.

ATTRACTION GROUP
Alien Swirling Saucers A
Beauty and the Beast – Live on Stage B
Disney Junior Dance Party! B
Fantasmic! B
For the First Time In Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration B
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! B
Muppet*Vision 3D B
Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith A
Slinky Dog Dash A
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue B
Toy Story Mania! A
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror A
Voyage of the Little Mermaid B

My single FastPass was for Toy Story Mania! (a Group A attraction) from 8:00-9:00 a.m. After tapping-in at the attraction, I opened the My Disney Experience app to make a second FastPass+ selection.

As you can see, the app gave me the warning “You already chose an experience from this list” and presented me only with options for Group B attractions. Even though there was availability, I could not book FastPass+ for a Group A ride like Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster.

However, I discovered that I could make a Group A selection at a different park. Below, see that I could reserve FastPass+ for Soarin’ Around the World.

To get a Disney employee’s opinion on the matter, I asked a Guest Experience Cast Member in Hollywood Studios whether I could get a second Group A experience after using only my one initial FastPass+ selection. He told me that would not work; I would have to do two Group B FastPass+ experiences (in addition to my initial Group A attraction) before getting FastPass+ for a second Group A attraction.” This matches what I saw in the park (although he did not address what would happen if I was looking at a different park for my second Group A FastPass+).

Based on my experience last week, people who say they booked a second top-tier FastPass+ after only using a single top-tier FastPass+ likely experienced a pleasant glitch, or they were looking at a Group A attraction in a second park as their second top-tier FastPass+.

In summary, based on my test, do not plan on getting a second Group A FastPass+ experience in the same park until after you have used your initial Group A FastPass+ and two Group B FastPass+ selections in that park.

Steve Bloom

By helping TouringPlans.com continue to reach the most accurate crowd level predictions, Steve finally found a way to meld his training in statistical analysis with a lifelong passion for Disney. He first visited the Magic Kingdom in 1972, just a few months after it opened. Now he enjoys frequent trips with his two kids. At age four his son insisted on wearing cowboy boots to reach the height requirement for Test Track, and his daughter believes that a smoked turkey leg and Dole Whip make a perfectly balanced meal. Even though she doesn't quite get it, Steve's wife is supportive of his Disney activities.

25 thoughts on “Rules for Additional FastPass+ Selection

• September 5, 2019 at 12:47 pm

Thanks for testing this out, Steve! To elaborate on your findings, you might not have to actually “use” those two Group B passes, right? I would hypothesize that merely having the Group B time windows pass by would do the trick as well.

That is, if you start the DHS day with a 9am FP for MuppetVision, a 10am for Mermaid, and an 11am for Slinky Dog, I think you would be able to grab another DHS Group A pass as soon as you tap into Slinky Dog, *whether or not* you actually went to see MuppetVision and Mermaid.

Perhaps another test is warranted… 🙂

• September 5, 2019 at 1:02 pm

Agree.would love an update to this.

What happens if you instead book your Group A, use it, and then don’t time in for either of your two group B attractions? Would you still see the experience a Group B attraction first message or would it allow you to book a Group A attraction because you timed out of the other attractions? I would imagine they want you to scan your magic band at those attractions, no matter if you ride them or not.

• September 5, 2019 at 1:25 pm

If you do not tap in, you have to let the FastPass+ reservation expire. You can tap in, without experiencing the attraction. What I like about Andy’s scenario, you don’t have to worry about wasting time going to an attraction you are not going to ride.

• September 5, 2019 at 1:18 pm

Correct. This is how I did it the past two weeks.

• September 5, 2019 at 1:21 pm

Missing a scheduled FastPass+ is as good as doing the FastPass+. So your scenario is legit. Doing one Tier 1, and skipping two Tier Two FastPasses would let you book another Group A FastPass+. By booking the two Group B FastPasses before the Group A FastPass+, you could make your 4th FastPass+ sooner.

In your scenario, you could tap into Slinky Dog at 10:55. While you are in line, you can book your 4th FastPass regardless of tiering or park.

• September 5, 2019 at 1:00 pm

It’s like you read my mind. I was just wondering about this! Thanks!

• September 5, 2019 at 2:00 pm

All this policy creates is guests booking Tier B attractions early with no intension of using them.

• September 5, 2019 at 2:08 pm

True, but it will have little impact on the guests. The Tier B attractions will have little or no standby wait times.

• September 5, 2019 at 2:08 pm

Thanks so much for clearing this up! There was a TP video posted maybe a month ago that suggested booking just a tier 1 for HS and then being able to immediately book a second tier 1 at HS – is that post going to be removed or amended to avoid confusion?

• September 5, 2019 at 2:22 pm

We’ve done this in the past several time: Book all three FastPasses (one Tier One and two Tier Two attractions). Go into the park. Use our Tier One and then CANCEL our two Tier Two attractions without using them and without waiting until our return time hits for those attractions. Then we were able to make additional Tier One FastPasses. As always, YMMV.

• September 5, 2019 at 2:34 pm

Are saying that if you have a 9am Tier 1, and two Tier 2, you can use the 9am FP and cancel the other 2 FP while you are in line for your Tier 1 attraction and make a 2nd Tier 1 FastPass+ reservation?

I’ll give this a try in 3-weeks when I’m back at Walt Disney World.

• September 6, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Yes, that worked for us on our last trip in December.

• September 5, 2019 at 2:58 pm

Well that’s even better than what I proposed.

• September 5, 2019 at 2:46 pm

This makes me wonder what happens if you start your day at Magic Kingdom. Since there are no tiers there, do you have to use 3 FP+ no matter what to then schedule a Tier-A at another park? Or if you only and one MK FP+ and you use it first thing in the a.m., can you then schedule Tier-A in other parks…?

• September 5, 2019 at 2:53 pm

You can book a Tier-A FastPass+ at another park regardless of what you have used at the current park. In my experiment, I was able to get Soarin’ at Epcot after using 1 FastPass+ at Hollywood Studios. It would work the same if the first FastPass+ was at the Magic Kingdom.

• September 5, 2019 at 4:52 pm

Thank you for this! We are arriving at WDW on 10/5, and expect to get to HS around 11am, with a FP+ for ST for 11:45 and TSM at 1:45. Based on this, I just booked a 9:20am Dance Party I have no intention (or ability) to use; that way I’ll be eligible to book additional Tier 1 rides after our TSM FP+ is used.

• September 5, 2019 at 6:43 pm

I have read that you at least have to be in the park for this to work? You have to be in the park during the first FPP window. Can anyone confirm?

• September 5, 2019 at 9:38 pm

Sometimes the system gets glitchy and won’t “clear” a fast pass after its window has passed before you get to the park. I have had this happen to me, but I have also had it clear with no problem. More often than not that FPP stays visible to you, but you can go ahead and schedule the 4th, top tier fast pass (schedule a 4th, do not modify the expired-still-visible one).

• September 5, 2019 at 6:19 pm

What worked for our group to get around this restriction in April 2018 is that we changed our third one (which was for a show later in the day) to a muppet vision one that we could use in 5 minutes.

While the rest of my group was eating lunch I gathered up everyone’s magic bands, walked over to muppet vision and asked a cast member before I systematically tapped the 8 bands at the fastpass checkpoint before walking away. I got some weird looks but no objections.
    That allowed us to book another tier 1.

• September 6, 2019 at 9:42 am

I have three FastPass+ selections for today. Theoretically at 11:16 I should be able to make another Group A FastPass+.

• September 6, 2019 at 10:39 am

With just my luck, Voyage of The Little Mermaid was down and the FastPass+ changed to an anytime FastPass+. If I was in the park it would be great and I could use it for most attractions at Hollywood Studios. For this test, it is bad. I still need to have 2 Group B experiences before making a second Group A experience.

• September 6, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Between 11:15 and 2:30 I made several attempts to make a new FastPass+ selection. Every time I try, I get the same message, “Daily FastPass+ Limit Reached.” I’ll try the same experiment in the park and see if it makes a difference.

• September 6, 2019 at 4:04 pm

Another thing that I KNOW would work for everyone is to do this. Book a Tier 1 FastPass for 9am and then two Tier 2 FastPasses for 10am and 11am. Use Tier 1 FastPass. Upon scanning into Tier 1, refresh the app over and over to move the 10am FastPass up to as soon as possible. Tap into that one (then actually ride or don’t), then repeat for your 11am FastPass. With this strategy, you could hypothetically finish all three of FastPasses within the first hour of park opening and be free to do another Tier 1.