Happy New Year, everyone! As we usher in 2020, we wanted to give you a quick overview of what to expect this month at Disneyland Resort!
- The biggest news this month is the Anaheim opening of Rise of the Resistance on January 17, which has received rave reviews since opening in Orlando in December. Expect the same virtual queue system with boarding groups to be utilized, and if Orlando is any guide (note: it might not be), you’ll want to get there early to lock in your boarding position at the earliest opportunity. You can check out our coverage of the Walt Disney World version for a preview on what to expect from this attraction.
- January kicks off the Chinese Lunar New Year festival at Disneyland! From January 17 through February 9, Disney’s California Adventure will honor the Lunar New Year in a celebration of Chinese, Vietnamese, and Korean culture. In addition to Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession (a parade of entertainers), keep your eyes open for festive decor, special menus featuring Asian cuisine, characters dressed in special costumes for the occasion, and other holiday fun. You can find more details here, and make sure you check out Disney’s site for the most up-to-date information.
- January 29 is the first Disneyland After Dark at Disneyland resort for 2020. This first installment is 80s night, featuring the “Flashback To Videopolis!” dance party, fireworks set to 80s music, characters from the 80s, and other 80s-inspired food, decor, and merchandise. This hard-ticket event will take place at Disneyland Park and costs $109. Advanced purchase is strongly recommended, as these events tend to sell out. You can find more details and purchase tickets on Disney’s site.
- The month as a whole should see modest crowds (with the caveat that crowds coming to experience Rise of the Resistance after it opens remains a wildcard), but we are anticipating higher crowds the weekend of January 17-20, as that marks both the opening weekend of Rise and Martin Luther King Jr. birthday weekend.
There are a couple of room-only discounts available at Disneyland Resort that are currently available.
Discount information is courtesy of Small World Vacations
- For stays of 4 days or longer, you can save 25% on your room at the Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel through April 16, 2020. Details can be found at Small World Vacations.
- For stays Sunday through Thursday, you can save up to 25% on your room at any of the three Disney hotels through April 16, 2020. Details can again be found at Small World Vacations.
Contact Small World Vacations to book any of these discounts today.
- it’s a small world will be offline from January 7-18.
- Snow White’s Scary Adventures also starts an extended refurbishment on January 7.
- Haunted Mansion will begin an extensive refurbishment on January 21, which is expected to continue through Spring of 2020.
- King Arthur Carousel will likewise be down starting January 21. It is currently unknown when it is planned to return.
Disney’s California Adventure
- Carthay Circle will be unavailable from January 6-31.
- Grizzly River Run will be undergoing its yearly winter refresh stating on January 20.
- Also on January 20, The Bakery Tour will be starting a brief refurbishment, lasting through February 2.
- Red Car Trolley remains offline until Spring 2020.
Are you excited to visit Disneyland this month? Let us know about it in the comments!