It’s the weekend before Easter and one of the busiest times of the year for Walt Disney World, so you knew I would have some little things that would help to make your trip more successful, plus a few other things thrown in to share with you! Are you ready to find out the latest in Newsworthy Notes? Ok! Let’s go!
- A couple of special dining options are open in the Magic Kingdom during this extremely busy week. The first is Aunt Polly’s on Tom Sawyer Island. (Wait…say what?! Aunt Polly’s is offering food again?!) Yep, the snack spot is offering both turkey sandwiches and peanut butter and jelly Uncrustables. In addition, you can pick up a few different kinds of lemonade. While it isn’t much, it is nice to see this kiosk open again.
- Also open temporarily is The Diamond Horseshoe in Liberty Square. The restaurant is offering quick service lunch offerings. Items include Barbecued Turkey Sandwich, Hand-carved Pork Brisket Sandwich, Portobello Sandwich, Hand-carved Turkey Sandwich, and Tuna Salad with Croissant. The cost is $9.49 for each meal. Lunch is offered from 11:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Dinner will be a table service meal that’s pretty much identical to what you’d get at Liberty Tree Tavern. Menu items include Roasted Turkey Breast, Carved Beef, and Sliced Pork with Mashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables, Herb Bread Stuffing, and Macaroni & Cheese. Desert will include White Cake filled with Apples and Craisins Dried Cranberries, topped with Ice Cream. Dinner costs $34.07 for adults (ages 10 and up), and $17.03 (ages 3-9). Both The Diamond Horseshoe and Aunt Polly’s will be open until April 11.
- Parking is being restricted at select resorts during the busy week. Until April 11, only guests with a dining or recreation reservation or guests staying at the resort may park at these resorts. The resorts are:
- Many of you may have seen news stating that Disney may be testing the option of getting a fourth FastPass+ option; however, this is actually inaccurate. The truth is that those of you who are visiting this week and seeing an extra FastPass+ option are actually just receiving a “Bonus FastPass” kind of like when you would go to the old FastPass machines at say Peter Pan’s Flight and it would give you a “Bonus FastPass” for Mickey’s PhilharMagic. This “Bonus FastPass” is currently only available for guests visiting the Magic Kingdom, for guests making FastPass+ reservations up to two days prior to their day in the park. The “Bonus FastPass” reservation is for a pre-selected attraction. The bonus entitlements can actually be modified by guests though, so if you get a “Bonus FastPass” for something you don’t want to do, you can change it to a different attraction, based on availability. Guests are eligible for additional FastPass+ selections (more than four) only after they have redeemed the FastPass+ reservations they have made and the bonus, or after the arrival windows for all unredeemed selections have passed. The “Bonus FastPass” will only be available until April 12. After that, it may return but likely only during extremely busy periods at the parks.
- There is another new corporate sponsor for both Walt Disney World and Disneland–SMS Audio, which is now the Official Headphone for both resorts. SMS Audio will be the new sponsor for Star Tours – The Adventures Continue at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, as well as the Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend and Star Wars Marathon Weekend at Disneyland Resort in California. The company currently offers a Star Wars First Edition SMS Audio headphones, and this spring the Second Edition Star Wars SMS Audio collection will be released featuring Tie Fighter, Chewbacca, R2-D2, and Darth Vader. Guests will be able to pick up SMS Audio headphones during Star Wars Weekends.
- New Frozen treats will be available beginning April 8 at select Walt Disney World dining locations, for a limited time. They include:
Olaf’s Perfect Sundae Day – Ice cream topped with hot fudge, and marshmallows. Sold at Hollywood Scoops, Plaza Ice Cream Parlor, Beaches and Cream Soda Shop. Cost is $5.59. ($6.49 at Beaches and Cream.)Anna’s Cupcake – Cupcake topped with marshmallows and spring flowers. Sold at Main Street Bakery, Gaston’s Tavern, Sunshine Seasons, Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe, Starring Rolls Cafe, Landscape of Flavors, The Mara, Beach Club Marketplace, BoardWalk Bakery, Contempo Cafe, and Gasparilla Island Grill. Cost is $5.49.
- Recently the United World Soccer Shop in Downtown Disney’s West Side closed. (Which truthfully lasted longer than I thought it would, because it was always supposed to be temporary, tying in with the World Cup last year.) Well, word is that Super Hero Headquarters will be opening in May and will sell superhero-themed merchandise. (Hmm….sounds like the perfect place to sell Marvel stuff.)
- Richard Petty’s Driving Experience will now be closing on August 9. The original closing date was set for June.
That’s it for today! Thoughts?