Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

Description And Comments

Across the Anacostia River at 1411 W St SE sits the Frederick Douglass National Historic Site. Douglass was an escaped slave who became an impressive speaker against slavery even inspiring Lincoln to use the Civil War as a chance to improve the country. He continued his fight for civil rights until his death. This house was built between 1855 and 1859, although Frederick Douglass didn’t purchase it until 1877. Between 1877 and 1893 Douglass made several additions and the house has been restored to the way it appeared around 1895. The hill that the house sits on supplies sweeping views including the Washington Monument and the Capitol dome in the distance.

All tours of the Frederick Douglass house are guided with maximum of 10 people, therefore reservations are encouraged. They can be made at recreation.gov or by calling (877) 444-6777 for $1.50 fee. Tours are at 9:00 am, 12:15 pm, 1:15 pm, 3:00 pm, 3:30 pm (cannot reserve, walk-in only), and 4:00 pm (April through October only). While the Frederick Douglass house is within walking distance of the Anacostia Metro station (Green), the surrounding neighborhood is not one of Washington D.C.’s best. There is a parking lot available for those driving.


1411 W St SE
Washington, D.C.
Southwest & Southeast D.C.

Tours at 9:00 am, 12:15 pm, 1:15 pm, 3:00 pm, 3:30 pm (walk-in only), and 4:00 pm (April through October only)

Free, advance tickets are $1.50