First Details on Epcot’s Newest Attraction Frozen Ever After

©Disney
©Disney

Today, the Wall Street Journal gave us a first glimpse at what we can expect with the upcoming Frozen attraction, called Frozen Ever After, slated to hit Epcot’s Norway Pavilion sometime next year.

The goal of the attraction is to “try to take you back to the movie, without retelling the story,” said Imagineering Creative Executive, Kathy Mangum.

The attraction is set to take place during the Winter Festival (which takes place in the summer), when the residents of Arendelle celebrate their favorite time of the year.

Here is what guests will experience in the upcoming attraction:

First, the Maelstrom attraction building has been gutted to make way for Frozen Ever After; however, the ride path will remain the same.

As far as the attraction goes, the queue will have guests walk past Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post. Guests may even catch a glimpse of him, and you can bet you may hear Yoo-hoo a few times!

From there, guests will board Viking ships, which remain from Maelstrom. Guests will then float through the first scene, which features Olaf and Sven setting up for the Festival. The second scene will feature Troll Valley, where Grandpappy Troll shares the story of how Anna and Kristoff met.

The vehicle will then make its way up a ramp where guests come across Olaf singing and ice skating. This scene will also feature Anna, Kristoff, and Sven.

After that, you’ll finally get to the most famous scene from the movie. Here, Elsa will be seen singing “Let It Go” in her ice castle. Also, Elsa may be causing it to snow!

In the next section, we’ll get to visit Marshmallow, as well as the snowgies featured in Frozen Fever. Oh, and even Marshmallow can’t “Let It Go”.

To get through the final scene, you’ll go through a mist cloud. The finale will feature a farewell from Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven, and yes, fireworks are going to be involved.

A few additional notes to keep in mind about the new attraction:

• The ride itself will be four minutes long.
  • While new songs won’t be added, there will be some new lyrics to existing songs.
  • The Audio Animatronics featured in the attraction will be state of the art, with projected faces similar to the Seven Dwarfs in Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

In addition, the meet and greet with Anna and Elsa will be called the Royal Sommerhus and will feature a design that will reflect the culture of Norway.

While there has been no official opening date announced for the attraction, it is expected to open in the Spring of 2016.

Rikki Niblett

I am a co-host of the Be Our Guest Podcast and do lots of other fun Disney stuff all around the interwebs! You can follow me on Twitter or Instagram at @RikkiNibs or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/rikkinibs

13 thoughts on “First Details on Epcot’s Newest Attraction Frozen Ever After

• June 9, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Well, blah. When I heard about the Frozen make-over to Norway, I had hoped that the characters would be guiding us through the history or culture of Norway. This really disappoints me.

• June 9, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Erin, totally agree. This makes it feel way less like an epcot world showcase attraction. I hope they add some type of cultural aspect to the attraction at least at the end where the film was shown.

• June 9, 2015 at 6:12 pm

From my understanding, where the film was shown is actually slated to be part of the queue now. So…I think we are all out of luck, as I wished, but knew it wouldn’t happen, that there would be some sort of cultural integrity that remained with the new Frozen attraction.

• June 9, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Agree that a tour of Norway fits Epcot better, but I’m honestly still excited for this! I think it could be beautiful.

• June 9, 2015 at 6:27 pm

We rode on Maelstrom once in 2008 when our son was 11 and we liked it but we weren’t too upset with the Frozen announcement. We are excited for the new tech in the ride. If the standby wait times are over 15 minutes then we’ll probably pass.

And yes I agree that Arendelle isn’t Norway. I wonder what would be happening now if they opted for something other than a ride to be put in Norway pavilion in 1988?

• June 9, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Uh, standby wait times will probably be insane for at least a the foreseeable future, especially with the Frozen sequel due out “sometime” in the next few years.

Look at 7 Dwarfs Mine Train which opened just over a year ago. It is still consistently the longest wait in Magic Kingdom….and Snow White has been around for nearly a century.

This will blow the wait times at Soarin’ and Test Track out of the water. I wonder how they will classify the Fast Pass+ for this…tier 1 or tier 2. Will they perhaps move either Soarin’ or Test Track to a tier 2? Imagine the standby lines if all three are tier 1!

• June 9, 2015 at 8:56 pm

I get why people are disappointed. But this new ride is going to be awesome! And I think we all have to face that Epcot is never going to be as intended. After all, Walt wanted it to be a city that people actually lived in. Epcot needs new life, and Frozen has brought that. More people will come just for this attraction (as they did just to see the sisters), and a good portion of those same people will see and appreciate the other aspects of the Norway pavilion that they may never have seen otherwise. Maelstrom really was a terrible ride and a poor way to show off Norway, anyhow.

• June 9, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Eventually, this park will simply be called “Magic Kingdom 2” and will be nearly indistinguishable from a castle park. Sigh.

• June 9, 2015 at 9:57 pm

EPCOT Center had aspirations: See new technology, learn about other cultures, be inspired to build the world of tomorrow.

Now it may as well have this slogan: Epcot — don’t worry, you won’t learn anything.

• June 10, 2015 at 3:07 am

This is really disappointing. I had hoped that it would be more of a Norway/Frozen ride, rather than just Frozen. I had hoped that they would replace or at the very least extend the existing ride system. I had hoped for a longer ride (Maelstrom is one of the shortest rides). The capacity on this thing will not be remotely sufficient and lines will be ridiculous. Looks like they are phoning this one in. No criticism of the imagineers – I’m sure they are doing their best with the budget and constraints that they have been given – it’s a criticism of management.

OK so Maelstrom wasn’t the best ride in the World but we always enjoyed it. This change now makes Epcot slightly less attractive to me.

• June 10, 2015 at 1:21 pm

I have a mixed bag of feelings about this. I like that there is a Maelstorm tribute via re-using the boats. I like that they are not simply re-telling the story of the movie (like so many dark rides tend to do). I wish that they were incorporating more of the culture via a tour of the country with the characters, but deep down I knew that wasn’t going to happen (and really it would be too much of a mirror of the ride in the pavilion next door). Part of me was hoping for a new ride system, but with the turn around time, I think we all knew they were going to keep the existing track. I am still excited to ride what I’m sure will be a beautiful ride. It might have gone better (thematically speaking) in MK or Dland, but I’m also not up in arms about it’s placement here.

• June 10, 2015 at 2:06 pm

There is no country’s culture to incorporate when the story takes place in an imaginary land.
    I think it will be a fun reminder for those who enjoyed the film; not everything at WDW has to appeal to my particular tastes.
    I’m curious about what will happen to the terribly outdated film and space that followed the original attraction.

• June 11, 2015 at 9:47 am

I can’t wait to ride Frozen ever after at EPCOT next year! I love Frozen! Awesome work Disney!