Last week, Disneyland Resort bid farewell to the Christmas season and sailed into 2013 with festivities, fireworks, and fierce crowds. The end of the holidays brings a brigade of closures and refurbishments, but also arriving are a wave of limited-time events and merchandise to welcome the new year.
Quietest Day: Wednesday 1/2 was a 6 out of 10 at the resort, with 5.1 at Disneyland, and 5.1 at DCA.
Busiest Day: Monday 12/31 was a 10 out of 10 at the resort, with a 10.0 at Disneyland, and 10.0 at DCA.
- New Year's Eve was celebrated on 12/31 with special entertainment, fireworks, and massive crowds. Disneyland's Holiday season concluded on 1/6/2013.
- A Cars Land themed float was a highlight of the 124th Tournament of Roses parade on New Years Day.
- New 2013 themed souvenirs are now on sale throughout the Disneyland resort, and new limited-edition pins featuring fragments from Disneyland attractions will be released throughout the new year.
- Disney announced that Mickey and the Magical Map will debut in the refurbished Fantasyland Theatre this summer. The new stage show will feature “a fantastic adventure through worlds of music, color and beloved characters” as Mickey explores the sorcerer Yen Sid's enchanted map.
- Disneyland celebrated the Hispanic holiday Three Kings Day (Día de los Reyes Magos) with special food and entertainment at Big Thunder Ranch on 1/4-6.
- As part of the 2013 Limited Time Magic promotion, a tribute to the classic Golden Horseshoe Revue will be performed Thursdays through Mondays from January 10 to February 4. Details were released on how guests can request same-day tickets to the show, or purchase Annual Passholder dinner packages.
- 5 new “couture” ear hats (including a steampunk style one) are now on sale around the resort. As part of the Year of the Ear, Disney will introduce new ear hats for sale each month.
- Beginning 1/5, Disneyland Annual Passholders receive one hour early entry into both parks on Saturdays and Sundays through April 14, 2013 (except 1/19, 1/20, & 2/3). Advanced registration is not necessary, and the benefit may be used more than once.
- Artist showcase events were announced for each weekend in January from 1-4 p.m., beginning January 12 at WonderGround Gallery.
- A modest “holiday village” of merchandise and snack vendors continued operating near the ice skating rink in Downtown Disney through 1/6.
- Disneyland Resort is still checking photo IDs for all guests holding multi-day tickets. This results in slow entry procedures; be prepared to arrive extra early (at least 45 minutes pre-opening) to be one of the first people into the park.
- Disney recently confirmed that the Market House on Main Street USA will close later this year for conversion into a Starbucks. No word yet if the tradition of free coffee refills will remain.
Exclusive viewing areas for Glow With The Show hat holders have been established for Disneyland fireworks, Fantasmic!, and World of Color performances. Originally intended for the holiday season, they seem to be sticking around until further notice.
Openings, Closings, and Refurbishments
- Construction continues through Summer 2013 on the new Princess Fantasy Faire and Fantasyland Theatre.
- MuppetVision 4D was temporarily replaced with the Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice 3-D short film for the holiday season. The Muppets returned after 1/6.
- Big Thunder Mountain is closed 1/7 through 10/30 for a major refurbishment of the track and scenery.
- Big Thunder Ranch is closed 1/7 through 1/17 for holiday decor removal.
- Haunted Mansion is closed 1/7 though 1/17 for holiday decor removal.
- Fantasmic! will not be performed 1/7 through 2/14.
- The Mark Twain Riverboat is closed 1/7 through 3/28 for refurbishment.
- Grizzly River Run is closed 1/7 through 2/28 for refurbishment.
- Silly Symphony Swings are closed 1/7 through 2/17 for refurbishment.