“Frameable” Disney: Photography Tips for Your Next Disney Vacation

Let’s be honest: how many of us have come home from Walt Disney World and realized that you experienced 85% of your vacation through a camera lens? (You can’t see me, but I’m definitely raising my hand.) I usually get so caught up in capturing every detail while I’m on a Disney vacation that I don’t think much about exactly why I’m taking pictures in the first place.

As great as it is to look back on photos from every parade, show and character meet and greet, I’m willing to bet that you don’t want to print out a 12”x16” of Pluto prancing down Main Street, U.S.A. and frame it above your mantle (or maybe you do, and in that case carry on). But instead of going shutter happy during Wishes on your next Disney vacation, focus on snapping a few well-thought out photos that you would consider “frameable”. This can help you feel less stressed about capturing every moment and give you a few great souvenirs that cost much less than that Disney home decor you’ve been eyeing.

Lost as to where to begin in your hunt for “frameables”? Here are a few ideas to get you going!

Doors of Disney | Great for: framed posters, canvas collages

screen-shot-2016-09-24-at-3-48-20-pm
The idea that started it all! I spent an entire Disney vacation taking a picture of every door I could find and the collage turned out to be such a great momento of our vacation. If you print this one out as a collage and hang it in your house, it’s a great conversation starter and a way to subtly display a little Disney.
Photography Tip: When taking door photos, center the doors in every photograph and make sure they don’t fill the whole frame. Leave yourself some room to crop so your doors don’t turn out different sizes when collaging.

Playing with Patterns | Great for: wall art, canvases

screen-shot-2016-09-24-at-3-43-35-pm
If you’re a Disney parks regular that might want to take it a little slower in the parks, this one is for you. There are some incredible patterns hidden around Walt Disney World that you would completely miss if you were running around to make your FastPass+ reservations all day. Capture a few patterns that include color schemes already in your house, then blow up the picture for a fun piece of subtle Disney wall art to hang when you get home.
Photography Tip: If you have a macro lens, use that to capture the pattern from an angle. Depth makes the photos more interesting and perfect for canvas printing.

Your Loved Ones | Great for: mantle photos, smaller frames

This almost seems like a no-brainer, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve come back from a vacation and realized that I barely had any pictures of the people I was with. I look at it this way: I can Google pictures of Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party or Wishes any time I want, but what makes pictures really “frameable” is when people you love are in them. So the next time you’re tempted to snap another picture of a parade or show, turn the camera on a loved one to capture their priceless reaction.
Photography Tip: Focus the camera on the person, but try to get a bit of whatever they’re reacting to in the background. That way you can remember exactly what magical moment caused that big smile!

Do you have any great ideas for unique photography in the parks? Comment below! Or better yet, Tweet us some of your unique Disney Parks shots!

Jillian MacNulty

A former Disney Professional Intern and a forever People Mover fanatic, Jillian knows her way around Walt Disney World. When at Disney, you'll be sure to find her laying on the Hub Grass or being mistaken for Merida. When not at Disney World, you'll find her doing whatever she can to get back (and occasionally blogging over at QuarterLife | jillianmacnulty.wordpress.com) | Twitter: @jemacnulty | Instagram: @jillimac28

19 thoughts on ““Frameable” Disney: Photography Tips for Your Next Disney Vacation

• October 25, 2016 at 8:18 am

Like the Disney Door series, when I had the time and would visit Walt Disney World I would focus on Disney Lamp Posts. https://www.flickr.com/photos/envisionate/albums/72157625421668524 They make a great subject, so many are unique and it gives you something to focus on rather than randomly looking for items to photograph.

Disney is full of beautiful art.

• October 25, 2016 at 8:42 am

What a great idea! I love the one in Epcot with the monorail/Spaceship Earth in the background. Thanks for sharing!

• October 25, 2016 at 8:49 am

Sure thing! I always tried to get the globe of each lamp at the intersection of the center top third grid mark on my camera. Makes a great screensaver on appletv as the photos cycle through but the lamp post stays in the same location. Another thing I wanted to try in Magic Kingdom… photos of the same lamp post same position each season or festival with all of the different decorations around/behind it.

• October 29, 2016 at 11:04 am

I started taking photos of Disney World lighting a few years back. My favorite are the courtyard lanterns at Wilderness Lodge and the automotive bulbs used inside Test Track. It’s nice to know there are others out there doing this too!

• October 25, 2016 at 8:52 am

Love this idea. Would be especially interested in photographing Rivers of Light.

• October 25, 2016 at 10:46 am

GREAT idea!!! Your suggestions are always so helpful!

• October 25, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Thank you for this outstanding idea.

I’m redecorating my living room and still have way too much open wall space. Definitely will keep this in mind during our trip next week.

• October 26, 2016 at 8:07 am

Of course, Heather! I’m so excited that you have some room to include a little magic in your redecorated space 🙂 I order my canvases from Walmart Photo and they always turn out wonderfully (and the price is surprisingly cheap!)

• October 25, 2016 at 8:21 pm

What a fantastic idea. BTW – raising my hand too. I love the idea of picking a theme. I’ve never done that before.

• October 25, 2016 at 9:51 pm

We took photos of small architecture pieces. The circular part of the faux Pallazzo Ducale and a similar one at Cinderellas Royal Table. They are very neat and at a macro scale they are sort of hidden Mickeys for you to decorate with.

• October 26, 2016 at 8:08 am

Gorgeous! And what a great idea to make some of your own hidden Mickeys…love it!

• October 25, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Jillian I love your well thought out and applicable suggestions! They get me so excited to return to put them into action. Thanks for sharing!

• October 26, 2016 at 8:09 am

Thank you so much, Meg! How sweet of you to read and comment. Hope to see you soon!

• October 26, 2016 at 7:37 am

One year we did an “Around the World” tour in the World Showcase. In each country my kids found something that was OK to try on / pose with (sombreros in Mexico, play swords from the shop in Norway, etc.) and we snapped them posing with some good backdrop from the country we were in. It made a great collage, I still have it as the wallpaper on my desktop.

• October 26, 2016 at 8:09 am

Jennie, I LOVE the idea to create desktop wallpapers. What a perfect way to display a Disney photo collage!