It’s almost Valentine’s Day, people! Are you ready? Well you better get ready, because it’s coming! According to your local Target’s seasonal aisles, it’s been coming since December 26th. So you’re behind! You better make some plans. Preferably some romantic plans with the one you love. I’m here to help. I have 10 cruise ideas for you. Use them on Valentine’s Day or to make up for Valentine’s Day, it doesn’t matter! Here are 10 ideas for romance on a Disney cruise.
1. Pop the Question – At first it may appear that number one is just a shameless excuse to use my now favorite-photo-of-all-time in my blog post! In that vein, I present said photo of my son proposing to his girlfriend on the Disney Fantasy a few weeks ago! Perfect, right? But that’s not why this suggestion is number one! That’s just a very (very) happy bonus. Insert all the smiley emoticons in the world. But seriously. If you are ready to take the next step with the one you love, there aren’t many prettier places to do it! Find a quiet deck at sunset, pick a beautiful island, or drop down on one knee in the atrium craziness before dinner if you want what will probably be a wildly enthusiastic audience! There are a lot of great opportunities to propose onboard. It may be the perfect place for you!
2. Leave the Children at Home – Disney cruises are not just for families with children! I’ve done several adult-only cruises, two with just my husband and a few with groups of friends–and I’ve loved every one. If you want the ultimate romantic Disney cruise, leave your children at home, and get away by yourselves. You won’t regret it! Think about quiet mornings on the verandah sipping coffee together. Blissfully alone! Don’t forget to request a table for two in the main dining rooms!
3. Upgrade – One romantic surprise for your significant other is a secret upgrade! Upgrade from inside to a verandah and don’t tell them! Upgrade from a verandah to an amazing concierge room and keep it a secret. Or how about a limo pulls up when you are waiting for the Disney transfer bus? That would make someone awfully happy! I’ll admit, it’s not going to be the easiest thing to keep some of those a secret, but the fact that it’s a surprise isn’t the most important part! It’s that it’s happening!
4. Stateroom Gifts – Disney has some in-stateroom gifts with romance in mind. One’s even called “Romance for 2”! There are alcoholic and non-alcoholic versions. They include Disney Cruise Line robes, a box of chocolates, a red rose, and a bottle of Prosecco or sparkling cider. The “Touch of Romance” is a little less expensive with only one robe and no rose. Sounds romantic, right?
5. Couples Massage – Disney has several options for a couples massage in the award winning Senses Spa! There are Swedish massages onboard and Swedish massages on Castaway Cay. There’s a “Couples Choice” with a spa treatment of your choice, a “Romantic Hideaway” with upgraded treatment options, and an “Ultimate Indulgence” with a facial and massage for couples. Most of these are designed with romance in mind. This may be the time for you to indulge!
6. Watch the Sunset – What’s more romantic than a sunset? The Personal Navigator helps you out here, and lists the sunset time each day. Plan to be outside at that time with that special someone. Take a stroll on deck 4, relax on your verandah, or head to the top deck and enjoy the gorgeous view!
7. Dress Up On Formal Night – Some people hate dressing up, some people love it. I highly recommend it every once in a while! It’s hard not to feel good about yourself, and the one you’re with, when you’ve put some effort into your appearance and are dressed to the nines! Or whatever your version of the nines is.
8. Remy/Palo – Now that you are dressed up, how about a special dinner in a perfect restaurant? Palo and Remy are without a doubt some of the most romantic places onboard. Dinner at Remy is a formal experience complete with servers in tuxes, multiple courses with silver dome covered plates, and single stemmed roses for the ladies. It’s the perfect place for a quiet, exquisite dinner with your loved one. Palo is also a beautiful dining experience. While Remy serves French cuisine, Palo serves northern Italian, which generally works better for picky eaters. If that special someone in your life has a limited palate, Palo should be your choice for a romantic meal. Take another couple or go alone, but either way leave the children in the kids’ clubs and go spend some quality time with some quality food. And each other of course!
9. Nightcap in a Lounge – Disney has some beautiful lounges onboard their ships, and it’s not hard to find a quiet corner to get away and spend time with each other. Skyline, which can be found on both the Fantasy and Dream, is one of my favorite places in the evenings. We are teetotalers, but we still love to sit and enjoy our Shirley Temples while we watch the skylines change. Ooh La La on the Fantasy is also a gorgeous place to get away. On the Magic I’d pick Keys in the evenings, and on the Wonder it would be the Cadillac Lounge. If your idea of romance is nighttime adult only shows and dancing, that will usually be in the Tube on the Fantasy, Evolution on the Dream, Azure on the Wonder, and Fathoms on the Magic. There’s something for everyone!
10. Get Married/Renew Your Vows – As the ultimate follow up to number 1, did you know you can also get married or renew your vows on a Disney cruise? Well you can! We personally saw one couple get married on the no-longer-around-secret-aft-deck-7 on the Disney Wonder. We were sailing up the inside passage on an Alaska cruise, and on my goodness, it was gorgeous with mountains immediately to port and starboard and a spectacular blue sky overhead. I even know of one sweet couple who got married in the atrium of the Disney Dream with a few hundred of their fellow passengers lining all the railings to watch! (but that’s a story for another time because you aren’t normally allowed to get married there…) Weddings and vow renewals are both booked through Disney’s Fairytale Weddings and Honeymoons. There are a few places the ceremony can take place onboard, or you could do an island wedding and get married on Castaway Cay! That’s an amazing destination wedding! Do it alone, invite your friends and family, whatever works best for you! And if you need an extra guest or two, I volunteer as tribute!!!!
Do you have any other romantic ideas for a Disney Cruise? Share them with us!