TouringPlans is pleased to welcome guest author Amy Crockett.
Ahh, summer. A time for sunshine, swimming, and Mickey Mouse. We all know Florida summers get horrendously hot. But for many people, especially families with school-aged kids, summer is the best (or only) time you can get away for vacation. You can have a great time at Walt Disney World in any season, but during those exceptionally warm months it will help to bring along these summertime essentials.
You likely already have some of these items, but if not, I recommend buying them before you leave home. While most of these things can be purchased once you get to Disney, you will pay much more than you would elsewhere. You can beat the heat and save a lot of money by stocking up ahead of time and packing these essentials for your summertime trip.
- Sunscreen. Apply often. Then apply even more.
- Sunglasses. Protect your eyes from that bright Florida sun.
- Hat. Shielding your face can provide some relief.
- Bug spray. Although Michigan mosquitos love me, I’ve never had a problem with bugs in Florida. But if you’re worried about it, bring some.
- Lip balm. With SPF to protect your lips.
- Hair ties. Keep your hair off your neck on hot days.
- Light clothing. Shorts, tank tops, moisture-wicking items, and light colors can all help.
At the Theme Parks
- Fan/sprayer. Don’t forget extra batteries.
- Reusable water bottle. You will be walking several miles per day. Keep refilling!
- Poncho. Florida summers also mean sudden storms.
- Quick-drying shoes. Useful for both the water rides and the rainstorms.
- Stroller shade. To attach to your personal stroller or rental stroller, if necessary.
- Small cooler. Make sure you read Disney’s cooler policies.
- Cooling towels. A useful invention.
- Non-melting snacks. Avoid things like chocolate and fruit snacks that will get messy and sticky.
- Multiple masks. With a combination of heat, humidity, sweat, and sunscreen, your face mask will get gross pretty quickly. Consider bringing an extra one with you each day so you can swap them out.
At the Pool/Water Parks
- Bathing suit. If you plan to swim every day, you may want to bring a few. Make sure they meet Disney’s dress code policy.
- Cover up. To wear around your resort on the way to/from the pool.
- Swim shirt. Provides protection from the sun that won’t wash off like sunscreen.
- Sandals. For resort days.
- Water shoes. For the water parks.
- Goggles. To help kids (or kids-at-heart) see underwater.
- Life jacket/floaties. For new/struggling swimmers. Complementary life jacket rental is available at Disney resort pools and the water parks on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Swim diapers. Required for un-potty-trained youngsters.
- Beach bag. Carry all your essentials to the pool.
- Beach towel. Towels are readily available at resort pools, but have to be rented for a small fee at the water parks.
- Book. Relax and enjoy a nice beach read!
- Tumbler. Useful for keeping your drinks cold.
- Underwater camera. Get some fun photos from a unique perspective.
- Pool toys. Some small toys are allowed, while others are not.
Will you still be hot during your Disney summer vacation? Yes. That’s just unavoidable. But will these items help protect you, provide some relief from the sun, and ensure you are ready to have a great time regardless of the temperature? Absolutely. Armed with these summertime essentials, we say: bring it on Florida.
What essentials do you make sure to bring along for your summertime trips?
Amy Crockett is a native Michigander who works at a library by day and dreams of Disney by night. Planning Disney trips is her favorite thing in the entire world to do (apart from the trip itself)! In addition to all things Disney, she loves reading, musical theatre, playing tennis, traveling, and cheering on the Detroit Tigers.