Walt Disney World Anniversary: 50 Favorite Ways to “Plus” Your Trip
In honor of the upcoming 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World, which opened on October 1, 1971, we are highlighting the top 50 of some of our favorite things about the most magical place on earth! This week, we take a look at some of the best ways to “plus” your Disney vacation, both inside and outside the parks.
Disney offers so many world-class attractions that they tend to be what most people focus on when planning their trip. But there are tons of other ways beyond experiencing all the attractions that you can really enhance, or “plus”, your visit. And while some are quite expensive, others are low-cost or even free. Here are some of our favorite ways to add that extra pixie dust!
Please Note: Not everything is currently operating due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- Meet Mickey – everyone’s favorite mouse
- Get a photo with your favorite character – for a treasured memory and keepsake
- Take a tour – go behind the scenes to learn how the resort operates
- Hunt for Hidden Mickeys – keep a sharp eye; they could be anywhere and everywhere!
- Become a Wilderness Explorer – by earning badges throughout Animal Kingdom
- Create your own scavenger hunt – come up with a list of things to look for to add some extra fun or friendly competition
- Watch a street performance – talented singers, dancers, acrobats, musicians, and more
- Learn how to draw – in a Disney animation class
- Build a lightsaber – a Jedi essential from Savi’s Workshop
- Assemble a droid – choose the parts for your new companion at Droid Depot
- Try Disneybounding – by adding subtle (or not-so-subtle) hints of your favorite character to your outfit
- Schedule a photo session – try a “Capture Your Moment” photo session for amazing family pictures
- Attend an after-hours event – such as Disney Very Merriest After Hours, Boo Bash, etc.
- See a parade/cavalcade – enjoy the music, floats, and characters
- Attend a fireworks dessert party – for prime viewing coupled with tasty treats
- Book a fireworks cruise – watch the show from the water in a private boat
- See the Electrical Water Pageant – can be viewed along the lagoon at the Magic Kingdom-area resorts
- Get a free celebration button – no matter what you’re celebrating!
- Buy some Mickey/Minnie ears – plenty of options to suit every style
- Purchase a ride photo – a priceless memory of a first or favorite ride
- Buy a Mickey balloon – a cute classic and great photo opp
- Try pin trading – buy them, swap them, wear them with pride
- Make some pressed pennies – fun to find and make, plus a cheap souvenir
- Get something personalized – you can add your name to many products like ornaments, glassware, Mickey ears, and more
- Wear matching trip shirts – makes for great photos and an easy way to spot your group
- Dine at a table service restaurant – amazing meals beyond standard theme park fare (and a chance to rest)
- Experience a character meal – a fun way to dine with a variety of always friendly, sometimes furry faces
- Dine with a view – try California Grill, Topolino’s Terrace, or Toledo
- Try a dinner show – check out Spirit of Aloha or the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue
- Eat/drink around the world – sample amazing cuisines throughout World Showcase
- Indulge in some ice cream – so many tasty treats to choose from!
- Enjoy a classic snack – like a Dole Whip, churro, turkey leg, Mickey ice cream bar or pretzel
- Ride the Skyliner – the newest mode of transportation offers stunning views
- Explore Disney Springs – for shopping and dining galore
- Visit a water park – Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon have tons of fun slides, pools, and rivers for a wet and wild day
- Stay onsite – if you normally stay off-property, give a Disney resort a try
- Stay at a Deluxe resort – if you normally stay Value or Moderate, try upgrading
- Decorate your room – bring supplies from home to create an in-room celebration
- Watch a movie under the stars – showing regularly at all Disney resorts
- Make s’mores – the most delicious combination invented, available at most Disney resorts during nightly campfires
- Rent a cabana – for the ultimate pool day
- Arrange for a Disney Floral & Gifts delivery – a wonderful present delivered straight to your room
- Visit a resort you’ve never been to – see the beautiful theming, or try a new restaurant
- Enjoy a spa treatment – relax with a massage, facial, or more
- Get a makeover – ages 3-103 can feel like royalty
- Go golfing – tee up at any of 3 world-class courses available onsite (or 2 mini-golf courses)
- Participate in a run Disney event – run through the parks and collect awesome medals
- Try a new sport – like archery, foot golf, surfing, and more
- Rent a boat – and spend a day cruising the Disney waterways
- Enjoy a carriage ride – a scenic ride through Fort Wilderness or Port Orleans Riverside resort
Just like the Imagineers continue to “plus” the parks, there are always fun ways to “plus” your vacation. To take your Walt Disney World trip to the next level, try adding a few of these elements to your next visit.
What are some of your favorite ways to “plus” your Disney vacation? Let us know in the comments!