A brand new perk is currently rolling out for Walt Disney World Guests to participate in–eligible Guests staying at a Walt Disney World Resort Hotel will have the option to go directly to their hotel room, bypassing the hotel’s front desk.
In order to take advantage of this new perk, once a Guest has customized, ordered, and had their MagicBands shipped to their home, they will receive an email, letting them know that Direct-to-Room Check-In is available to them. Keep in mind that the MagicBands must be in the Guest’s possession at the time of arrival at the hotel. (If you’ll remember, MagicBands are used as room keys now. If you don’t have your MagicBand on you, you won’t be able to enter your room.)
In addition, in order to be eligible, Guests must have also paid their reservation in full. Finally, in order to participate, Guests must have completed the Online Check-In process, which includes providing a credit card and PIN number, which allows Guests to easily use their MagicBand for charging privileges once they arrive, as well as providing at least one method of communications, either phone number or email. If a Guest has completed all eligibility steps, they will receive a message via email and/or text prior to their arrival notifying them of their room number and that they have the option of going directly to their room.
Guests do not have to participate in Direct-to-Room Check-In. Upon arrival at the hotel, Guests will be greeted by a Cast Member and will have the option to choose to partake in the traditional check-in process or they will have the ability to go directly to their room.
This new process is slowly being implemented to all the Walt Disney World Resort Hotels. The schedule is, as follows:
Currently Available at:
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge (including Jambo House, Kidani Village)
- Disney’s Art of Animation Resort
- Disney’s Contemporary Resort (including Bay Lake Tower)
- Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
- Disney’s Pop Century Resort
- Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside
- Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter
February 25, 2015
- Disney’s BoardWalk Inn (including Boardwalk Villas)
- Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa (including Grand Floridian Villas)
- Disney’s Wilderness Lodge (including Wilderness Lodge Villas)
- Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resorts (including Beach Club Villas)
March 10, 2015
- Disney’s All-Star Sports Resort
- Disney’s All-Star Music Resort
- Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort
- Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
- Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
- Disney’s Old Key West Resort
- Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground implementation is still to be determined.
Keep in mind that not every type of reservation is eligible to participate in Direct-to-Room Check-In. There are a few restrictions, most commonly when a special offer stipulates that an ID is required to be presented at check-in.
As I mentioned before, Direct-to-Room Check In is not something that all guests must participate in. It is just an option for those who prefer an expedited arrival experience. Personally, I’ll still head to the front desk. There’s just something about checking into your hotel and interacting with a front desk Cast Member that makes me finally feel like I’m on vacation.