Walt Disney World Preview — Week of November 3, 2018

Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party is just around the corner, and filming for Disney’s Holiday Special begins this week. Read on for your Walt Disney World preview!

Special Events

• Here are your artists for this week’s Eat to the Beat Concert Series:
    • 11/3 – 11/4: Taylor Dayne
    • 11/5 – 11/7: Boyz II Men
    • 11/8 – 11/9: The Hooters
  • Speaking of Food & Wine, the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend, presented by MISFIT, “runs” through November 4. If you’ve signed up, which race are you doing?
  • Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party begins November 8! A new celebration add-on this year is Tony’s Most Merriest Town Square Party. Enjoy appetizers and drinks at Tony’s Town Square Restaurant before watching Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade in a reserved viewing area on Main Street U.S.A. The cost is $99 plus tax, and details can be found in Rikki’s post.
  • Holiday filming for Disney’s ABC Christmas Special begins November 7. While parade segments are filmed in Disneyland, many of the stage productions and spots in the parks are filmed at Walt Disney World.
    • How this will affect you: The major stage segments are filmed on the Castle Stage at Magic Kingdom park although these rarely impact anything in the park other than the schedules for other shows on that stage. Any filming throughout the parks will be seen, and may slightly impact walkways, but will not add to any wait times.
  • Sneak peeks of Ralph Breaks the Internet are being held at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Head to Walt Disney Presents, located in Animation Courtyard, to check out this preview of the film, coming to theaters November 21.

Weather

For the most current weather conditions, click here.

Crowd Levels

For more information about crowd levels, click here.

Park Hours

Attractions Closed For Refurbishments

Magic Kingdom:

• Liberty Square Riverboat
  • Tom Sawyer Island

Disney’s Hollywood Studios

• Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away
  • PizzeRizzo

Disney’s Animal Kingdom

• Wildlife Express Train: Africa Station
  • Wildlife Express Train: Rafiki’s Planet Watch Station

Blizzard Beach (Whole Park!)

Have you been in the parks while they’ve been filming? Let me know in the comments!

Angela Dahlgren

Angela is cohost of the TouringPlans Podcast and regular contributor to the TouringPlans YouTube channel. When she's not talking about the happiest place on earth, she spends her time entertaining her own little Minnie and Mickey Mouse. You can find her on twitter @AngelaDahlgren or via email - angela@touringplans.com

4 thoughts on “Walt Disney World Preview — Week of November 3, 2018

• November 1, 2018 at 8:32 pm

I found your blog about your MIL using an electric scooter several years ago. I am in a similar boat, in that I have fatigue and muscle weakness issues due to an auto immune issue. I have never used a scooter before but we will be visiting WDW to celebrate my daughter’s 3rd birthday in 2 weeks and I don’t want to miss anything, hold us back, or be in pain so I am swallowing my pride and looking at renting a scooter. I can walk and will want to do some degree of walking so I am thinking it would be best for treks between areas of the park. We aren’t park hopping. So, I am wondering if there are places I can leave the scooter (maybe to charge but not required) while I explore the area/ride rides/shop/eat/etc? Did you ever do a follow-up post or do you know of other WDW experts who use a scooter some or all of the time?
    Thanks!

• November 2, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Kaitie,

Having a mom with several autoimmune diseases, I completely understand why you would want to use an ECV at Walt Disney World. I called her specifically to answer this comment, and the reasons you gave for wanting to use a scooter were the exact same reasons she had for ordering one as well. She was hesitant at first but has never looked back since. So, here are some tips we put together for you:

– For eating, there will be an area in or outside the restaurant to park your ECV. For attractions, you will be able to drive your ECV almost right up to the ride. The Cast Members are great about directing you and making sure you’re taking as few steps as possible.

– If you want to walk around however, I’m sure you could park in a designated stroller parking area. I would double check with a Cast Member though. Just remember to bring your key with you.

– An important thing to remember: Your ECV cannot get wet. If you leave it for an extended period of time outside, you must cover it with something waterproof in case it rains. You can use a poncho or request a cover from the company you rent it from.

– At night, make sure the light/horn is working or put something that lights up on the scooter (like a light-up necklace). My mom has found that since she’s lower to the ground, it’s harder for people to see her so they almost walk into her a lot.

– As far as battery life, the scooters are meant to last all day. If it doesn’t, request a new scooter. My mom will turn her scooter off while in a ride queue to conserve battery life, but you don’t have to do that.

– Another time to request a new scooter is if the seats or armrests are torn up. Though it may not seem like a big deal initially, they can get terribly uncomfortable throughout your visit.

We’ve ordered from Apple Scooters several times (and one other company I don’t recall right now) and have had great service from them each time. They will drop off/pick up right to your hotel. My mom has only requested a new scooter once and she received it within 45 minutes. So easy!

I hope this information was helpful. Have a wonderful trip. Enjoy the memories with your daughter!

– Angela

• November 2, 2018 at 5:04 pm

Thank you for this through reply!

• November 3, 2018 at 12:19 am

Hi Katie, Have you heard of the Medical Medium books by Anthony William? My friend was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and found that following his advice she was able to heal. My frien used to be unable to pick up her son. Now he is about 6 years old and she feels that she is healed.
    I couldn’t read this and not post what helped her!

On the subject of ECVs my Dad used one years ago due to an injured knee and he loved it! We rented it at the park. He could walk a fair bit, so he only wanted an ECV at Epcot.