August arrived last week, and with it the last wave of summer tourists before the Disneyland Resort gets to catch its breath at the end of this month.
Quietest Day: Monday 7/30 was a 9 out of 10 at the resort, with DCA crowds at 7.6 and Disneyland Park at 8.9.
Busiest Day: Sunday 7/29 was a 9 out of 10 at the resort, with DCA crowds at 8.5 and Disneyland Park at 9.2.
- On July 30, lucky readers of the Disney Parks blog were invited to a showing of World of Color at DCA, and received free Glow with the Show ear hats. Later in the week, Disney released a video explaining the technology behind the interactive light-up hats.
- Images were released of the new Princess Fantasy Faire model, which will replace the Princess Royal Walk that closes August 12. A new show will open in the Fantasyland Theatre next year.
- New images by Celebrity photographer Annie Leibovitz, one featuring actor Russell Brand as Captain Hook, we're released online with behind-the-scenes videos of the photo shoots.
- A new collectible pin set inspired by the Cars Land artwork of designer Chip Foose went on sale in the resort on August 2.
Openings, Closings, and Refurbishments
- The Jungle Cruise returned from a brief unscheduled refurbishment with new safety features on the boat dock.
- An outpost of Walt Disney World's Pirate League makeover experience is temporarily coming to Disneyland's Court of Angels for Halloween (September 2 through October 31).
- Construction continues on the Princess Fantasy Faire in Disneyland, and Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney.
- Al Lutz reports on MiceAge.com that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will close for a major refurbishment in fall 2012 through 2013.