Along with the new Genie system, there are changes, dare we say upgrades, to the DAS (Disability Access Service) policies. Last week we told you about DAS Advance and the new features, and this week my son, Ben, and I got to test it.
We had DAS Advance Selections because after waiting 6.5 hours for the live chat we were one of the lucky families to get through. Currently, DAS Advance Selections are only available for visits starting November 1, 2021.
Let me start by saying if you are not comfortable using the technology, you may still use the DAS in person.
For guests that would like to make return times using their smartphones instead of going all the way to the attraction or a blue umbrella, here is how it works.
- Before you come to the park, make sure your iOS system is current. (Check the night before because this update can take a long time.) Also, make sure you have a My Disney Experience account and your app is updated.
- If you have a current DAS (either because of pre-registering or yours is still current) after you enter a park, the more page on the My Disney Experience App will have an added box with the new DAS logo. (To find the more page push the 3 lines at the bottom of your screen.)
- When you click the DAS button, a list of all attractions with their current wait times will appear. Click your choice.
- The next screen will show a return time. If that works for you, click the button. If you also have the Genie+ you will see a return time and a LL button, click the DAS.
- Then a screen will confirm your party.
- Then you go to the attraction and typically tap in at the Lightning Lane and again at the second touchpoint. (The Jungle Cruise is an exception, head to the cast members with iPads near the handicapped sign.)
Questions and Answers
Q: I’m at home trying this and I don’t see the DAS button. What am I doing wrong?
The DAS button will not appear unless you are currently in the park AND have a current DAS.
Q: I made a DAS Advance Selection before our visit. Do I have to wait to use them before I can get a DAS return time in the park?
No, DAS Advance and DAS return times are two different things. You can have two DAS Advance Selections, a DAS Return Time, and a Lightning Lane all at the same time.
Q: I’m in the park for early resort times and it won’t let me make a DAS. Is this an error?
The park must be open to make a DAS–this was usually true with the in-person way too.
Q: I made a DAS Advance Selection but I didn’t know my sister would be joining us. She’s on our DAS party, can she join us anyway?
Unfortunately, only the pre-selected members can join. But they are welcome on any return times throughout the day.
Q: Can I use the DAS on attractions that have Individual Lightning Lanes such as Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Rise of the Resistance?
Yes, all attractions with a standby line are available with DAS.
Remy currently has a virtual queue and you need a boarding pass or Lightning Lane.
Q: Genie+ won’t let you use a Lightning Lane for the same attraction more than once a day. Can you ride a ride multiple times with DAS?
Yes, there is no limit on how often you can ride with DAS.
Q: Can I use Genie+ with the DAS?
Yes, Genie+ and the DAS system work together. For guests that use DAS and are more comfortable with structure, Genie+ will be a struggle. Obviously, there is no need to spend on the Individual Lightning Lane attractions.
Q: Genie + has a defined return time. Does the DAS have a strict return time?
The DAS Advance Selection has a one-hour time period. Be careful with that when you are chatting with the cast member and setting those up.
A DAS return time has no end time.
Q: Can anyone in the DAS party schedule a return time?
Yes, anyone in the party will have the DAS button on the more page.
Q: Can I make a DAS for another park if we are park hopping?
No, you must be in the park to make a DAS.
Q: My sister is about to join us, but isn’t in the park yet, can I make a DAS for her?
Yes, we were able to make a return time for my daughter before she arrived. We were not able to do that with a Genie+ Lightning Lane.
Overall I’m very happy that you can request a return time on your phone instead of running all over the parks to get one in person. There were a couple of glitches opening day that I understand were resolved and if all is running as it was designed it’s great.
The DAS Advance Registration times need to be MUCH shorter, but the concept is great. I love that you can avoid a line at guest services. It’s wonderful that you can answer what can be delicate questions about why you need a DAS in the privacy of your home instead of in front of a line of grumpy people. I also think DAS Advance Selections are a fair and unexpected answer to the loss of the schedule and routine that FastPass+ provided.
I think the changes to DAS are definitely an upgrade!
Do you have any thoughts or questions about the new DAS procedures? Let us know in the comments.