Description And Comments
Entering through a re-creation of Hollywood's Chinese Theater, guests board vehicles for a fast-paced tour through soundstage sets from classic films including Casablanca, Tarzan, The Wizard of Oz, Alien, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Each set is populated with new-generation Disney audioanimatronic (robot) characters, as well as an occasional human, all augmented by sound and lighting effects. One of Disney's larger and more ambitious dark rides, The Great Movie Ride encompasses 95,000 square feet and showcases some of the most famous scenes in filmmaking. Life-sized audioanimatronic sculptures of stars, including Gene Kelly, John Wayne, James Cagney, and Julie Andrews, inhabit some of the largest sets ever constructed for a Disney ride.
A Tennessee family thinks the attraction needs some freshening up:
As someone who attended the grand opening of [DHS] in 1989, I think The Great Movie Ride seems stuck in the 1980s.
A teenage girl from Fanwood, New Jersey, agrees (with attitude):
A big suggestion for Disney: update The Great Movie Ride, for goodness' sake! Start by getting rid of scenes from movies no one remembers or knows--Footlight Parade? What?--and put in scenes from recent films that are sure to become tomorrow's classics: The Dark Knight, Slumdog Millionaire, Across the Universe... I could very easily go on.
It's rare to see a wait of more than 30 minutes at Great Movie Ride except during Christmas. Part of the reason is that it's an interval-loading, high-capacity attraction, and part of the reason is that the films shown are probably not relevant to anyone under age 40. For what it's worth, actual wait times usually run about one-third shorter than the time posted.
This chart shows you roughly how long you'll wait for The Great Movie Ride when you visit on a day with a given Disney's Hollywood Studios Crowd Level. The blue bars represent the average "peak" wait time (that is, how long the line will at its busiest). The bottom and top black lines represent the range of peak wait times to expect (for you fellow nerds out there: it's the 5th percentile and 95th percentile of peak wait times). Please note that these are estimates, and for a better forecast for your travel dates, see The Great Movie Ride Wait Times.
- This attraction may be frightening for children.
Elaborate, with several surprises.
- Handheld Captioning Available
- Assistive Listening Devices Available
- Audio Description Devices Available
- Must Transfer To Standard Wheelchair
Disney Dish with Jim Hill
WHO YOU GONNA CALL? THEY'RE NOT AVAILABLE? NEVERMIND
The Imagineers wanted an entire room in Great Movie Ride to recreate the Ghostbusters' memorable encounter with the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, but Universal beat them to the punch by acquiring the film’s rights. Universal’s unmemorable Ghostbusters Spooktacular ran from 1990 to 1996, and Disney went with a much smaller mummies scene to represent all of Hollywood's great horror films.
- Great Movie Ride (StudiosCentral.com)
Touring Plans with The Great Movie Ride
- Disney's Hollywood Studios One-Day Touring Plan for Tweens and Parents
- Disney's Hollywood Studios Happy Family One-Day Touring Plan
- Disney's Hollywood Studios Unofficial Guide Touring Plan
- Disney's Hollywood Studios One-Day Late Arrival Touring Plan for Adults
- Disney's Hollywood Studios One-Day Holiday Touring Plan for Adults
- Disney's Hollywood Studios One-Day Not-A-Touring-Plan Plan for Adults
- Disney's Hollywood Studios Afternoon Touring Plan
- Ultimate Touring Plan: Hollywood Studios Standard Hours
- Ultimate Touring Plan: Hollywood Studios Morning Extra Magic Hours
- See all Touring Plans...
|Wait per 100 people ahead||2 minutes|
|Assumes||All trains operating|
When to go
Before 11 a.m., during dinner, or after 8 p.m.
|Opening Date||May 1, 1989|
|Scope and scale||Headliner|
Let us know.