Description And Comments
In response to Michael Jackson’s death in 2009, Disney brought back his 3-D space-themed musical film presentation Captain EO for a "limited" engagement in its theme parks; at Epcot, that engagement is still ongoing, having supplanted Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. Captain EO originally ran here 1986–1994.
Captain EO was the ultimate 1980s-era Michael Jackson music video. Directed by Francis Ford Coppola, this 3-D space fantasy is more than a film; it’s a happening. Action on the screen is augmented by lasers, fiber optics, cannons, and a host of other special effects in the theater. There’s not much of a story, but there’s plenty of music and dancing performed by some of the most unlikely creatures ever to shake a tail feather.
That said, Unofficial Guide readers rank Captain EO as the worst attraction in Epcot. We still think it’s worth seeing, if only for the nostalgia of Jackson’s long-form video work.
Shows usually begin on the hour and half hour. The sound level is earsplitting, frightening some young children. The show is to the left of Journey into Imagination; you don't have to ride to enter the theater. Avoid seats in the first several rows, if you sit too close to the screen, the 3-D images don't focus properly. There's no need to use Fastpass+ for Captain EO.
Adults shouldn't be put-off by the sci-fi theme or rock music.
Other Attractions in Future World
- Ellen's Energy Adventure
- Journey Into Imagination With Figment
- Living with the Land
- Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot
- Mission: SPACE Green
- Mission: SPACE Orange
- Spaceship Earth
- Sum of All Thrills
- Test Track Presented by Chevrolet
- The Circle of Life
- The Seas with Nemo & Friends
- Turtle Talk with Crush
Touring Plans with Captain EO
- Epcot One-Day Touring Plan for Active Seniors
- Epcot One-Day Touring Plan for Tweens and Their Parents
- Epcot Two-Day Touring Plan for Active Seniors - Day 1
- Epcot Late Arrival One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Epcot Late Arrival Selective One-Day Touring Plan for Adults
- Epcot Two-Day Late Arrival Touring Plan for Adults - Day 2
- Ultimate Touring Plan: Epcot
- Epcot One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Epcot Early Riser Two-Day Touring Plan - Day 1
- Parent's Epcot Plan:1 Afternoon and 1 Full Day (Full Day)
- See all Touring Plans...
|Shows every||20 minutes|
|Average wait||5 minutes|
|At 9:08am EDT · Party of 1|
9:20a, 9:30a, 10a, 10:30a, 11:05a, 11:55a, 12:25p, 12:30p, 1:25p, 1:30p, 2:05p, 2:45p, 3:10p, 3:45p, 4:20p, 4:50p, 5:15p, 5:50p, and 6p
Latest EP FP+ Availability
|Opening Date||July 2, 2010|
|Scope and scale||Headliner|
Let us know.