Description And Comments
In response to Michael Jackson's death in 2009, Disney brought back his 3-D space-themed musical film presentation, Captain EO, for a "limited engagement" in its theme parks; at Epcot, it has temporarily supplanted Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. Captain EO originally ran here from 1986 to 1994; there's no telling how long it'll last on its second run, but we've heard Disney will yank the film as soon as its audience numbers begin to drop. Both films share exceptionally loud soundtracks and a propensity to frighten young kids.
The ultimate music video. Starring the late Michael Jackson and directed by Francis Ford Coppola, this 3-D space fantasy is more than a film; it's a happening. Action on the screen is augmented by a host of special effects in the theater, as well as by some audience participation. There's not much of a story, but there's plenty of music and dancing performed by some of the most unlikely creatures ever to shake a tail feather.
- Open for Evening Extra Magic Hours.
Shows usually begin on the hour and half hour. The sound level is earsplitting, frightening some young children. Many adults report that the loud soundtrack is distracting, even uncomfortable.
Try to work either film into your touring before noon. The show is to the left of Journey into Imagination; you don't have to ride to enter the theater. Avoid seats in the first several rows, if you sit too close to the screen, the 3-D images don't focus properly.
- We rate this attraction as Not To Be Missed.
Adults shouldn't be put-off by the sci-fi theme of either film (or rock music, for Captain EO).
Disney Dish with Jim Hill
COULD EO'S EXIT SIGNAL DREAMFINDER'S RETURN?
Though the Imagination! Pavilionâ€™s 3-D theater saw a brief rise in attendance following the return of Captain EO in July 2010, the crowds have definitely thinned at this point. Now the imagineers are planning to shut down this Michael Jackson movie and do something that Disney theme park fans have been screaming for: bring back Dreamfinder and Figment in an all-new 4-D production rumored to be inspired by Disneyland Parisâ€™s CinÃ©Magique. When? As soon as Disney can find a corporate sponsor to underwrite the production costs. (no breath-holding, please.)
Other Attractions in Future World
- Ellen's Energy Adventure
- Epcot Character Spot
- Journey Into Imagination With Figment
- Living with the Land
- Mission: SPACE Green
- Mission: SPACE Orange
- Spaceship Earth
- Sum of All Thrills
- Test Track
- The Circle of Life
- The Seas with Nemo & Friends
- Turtle Talk with Crush
Touring Plans with Captain EO
- Epcot One-Day Touring Plan for Active Seniors
- Epcot One-Day Touring Plan for Tweens and Their Parents
- Epcot One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Epcot Two-Day Touring Plan for Active Seniors - Day 1
- Epcot One-Day Holiday Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Epcot Late Arrival One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Epcot Late Arrival Selective One-Day Touring Plan for Adults
- Epcot Two-Day Late Arrival Touring Plan for Adults - Day 2
- Epcot Unofficial Guide Two-Day Sunrise/Starlight Touring Plan - Sunrise
- Ultimate Touring Plan: Epcot
- Epcot Early Riser Two-Day Touring Plan - Day 1
- See all Touring Plans...