Disney announced their military tickets for the rest of 2021 today! They released tickets for part of 2021 and room rates for 2021 earlier, but this announcement brings tickets through the end of 2021: December 17 to be exact! Here are some things you should know.
1. Who is Eligible? – Any active duty or retired Service Member, National Guardsman, Reservist, or Coast Guardsman is eligible. Foreign military assigned to US military bases (with a US ID card) in the United States are eligible, as are 100% disabled members with an ID card that says “DAV/PRIM”. Retired and active members of the Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service (PHS) and the Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) are also eligible. If the eligible member is not present, their spouse (or un-remarried widow) is eligible. Even within these rules there are complicated situations, so call Disney (or ask in the comments section below) if you still have questions.
2. What are the Dates? – The 2021 promotion runs through December 17, 2021. All tickets that were purchased in 2020, will not expire until September 26, 2021! The 2021 tickets that will expire on December 17, will be available for purchase on February 15. It’s important to know that these tickets are not like typical Disney tickets in that they do not expire 14 days after the first use. You can use 2 days in May and 2 days a month later if you like.
3. How Many Tickets Can I Buy? – Each eligible member can buy 6 tickets at Disney World during the entire promotion’s time period, including the short extension that began in December of 2020. In other words, any tickets purchased after December 19,2020, count towards the total. If the member’s immediate family is larger than 6, Disney will allow them to buy more. Immediate family includes the spouse and dependent children. Not nieces, nephews, grandparents, etc. The tickets for the extra family members must be purchased in person at Disney.
4. How Much are the Disney World Tickets? – Beginning on February 15, 2021, there are 4-day and 5-day tickets available. You can choose Park Hopper, or Park Hopper Plus tickets. Park Hopper tickets allow guests to visit different theme parks on the same day without using another day of admission. Park Hopper Plus tickets allow guests to both Park Hop and visit Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Wide World of Sports, play nine holes at Disney’s Oak Trail, or play miniature golf before 4 p.m. at Disney’s Fantasia Gardens Miniature Golf Course or Disney’s Winter Summerland Miniature Golf Course. The discount is significant; they’re a little under half price of a similar full-price ticket. The 4-day Park Hopper ticket is $296 and the 4-day Park Hopper Plus ticket is $326. The 5-day Park Hopper ticket is $315 and the 5-day Park Hopper Plus ticket is $345. The prices do not include tax, which you will pay if you purchase them in person at Walt Disney World.
5. Is Disneyland Participating in 2021? – No information has been released on extending the promotion for Disneyland yet!
6. Where Can I Buy Tickets? – The first place I would suggest buying tickets is your local ITT (Information, Tickets and Tours) on base. As a caution, many bases do not keep the tickets in stock, and they must be ordered. I’d recommend ordering them a month before you need them. If you aren’t able to get to a base to purchase them and really want to save sales tax, Shades of Green at Disney World is another option. Shades of Green will let you order the tickets by phone, fax or email. A third option is to find a base that will let you order them online or by phone. There are a few, like Camp Pendleton, that have allowed this in the past. If you don’t buy your tickets on base, the most convenient option is to buy the tickets at Disney. You can get them at Guest Services in Disney Springs, or at any ticket window at Disney World.
7. How Do I Activate the Tickets? – If you purchase the tickets on base, they must still be activated once you arrive at the parks. Disney will gather information about everyone that will be using the tickets, and a valid ID card must be shown at time of activation. If you buy them at Disney, they are activated at time of purchase. You do not have to use them the day they are activated. To save yourself long lines in the morning, you may want to activate them the night before you use them. You can activate tickets at any park ticket window, the TTC, or Guest Services at any park or Disney Springs. If you purchase them from Shades of Green, they are activated at time of purchase.
8. Do Park Reservation Systems Work with Military Tickets? – Absolutely! Military tickets will link the same as any other tickets. As soon as you purchase your ticket, link them to your My Disney Experience account. They will still need activating if you purchased them on base, but they will work for making park reservations.
9. Are There Any Room Discounts Available? – Yes, there are! The 2021 military room discounts at Disney World go through December 17, 2021. There must be an eligible member in one of the rooms, and the number of rooms that are offered is limited. The discounts range from 30-40%. Availability goes quickly at popular times, so I’d recommend booking as soon as possible! There are a few blocked out resorts and room types, but most Disney resorts are included. When and if the Disney Dining Plan returns, it can be added to the room discount as well if you like. It is not discounted beyond the normal Disney price.
10. Are There Any Disney Cruise Discounts? – There are not any standard cruise discounts included with the Armed Forces Salute, but Disney does offer military discounts for cruises regularly. Scott Sanders posts a good list of them, weekly on The Disney Cruise Line Blog. They are offered on sailings that aren’t filling up and are usually announced around 60 days before sail dates, although they can be announced much earlier. The eligible group for these discounts is expanded to include Department of Defense civilian personnel. The offers are valid for one stateroom per military member (or spouse) per sailing
*Bonus – The Memory Maker discount for military has also been extended through December! It’s $98, which is a great price! Memory Maker must be purchased in person at Walt Disney World, at one of the Guest Relations windows.
Do you have any questions about the Armed Forces Salute? Ask them here!
Tammy Whiting is the owner of Storybook Destinations. Did you know Storybook Destinations offers a complimentary subscription to TouringPlans with qualified Disney and Universal bookings? Click here for a no-obligation quote on your next vacation!