The tourist hordes are having their last gasp at Disneyland, as the summer season rapidly draws to a close. But wait, there’s more! Like a horror movie villain, huge crowds are expected to crop up again as Disneyland’s low-end annual passes lift their black-out dates, allowing thousands of locals to experience Cars Land for their first time.
Quietest Day: Friday 8/17 was slower than anticipated at a 7 out of 10 at the resort, with DCA crowds at 8.3 and Disneyland Park at only 4.1.
Busiest Day: Sunday 8/12 was a 9 out of 10 at the resort, with DCA crowds at 9.5 and Disneyland Park at 7.6.
- The Glow With The Show mouse ears introduced this summer at DCA’s World of Color show will interact with Disneyland’s Fantasmic! starting August 28. A free private late-night viewing of Fantasmic! will be held that night for annual Passholders who register in person at any Disneyland ticket booth between now and August 23. Note that complimentary hats will not be provided at this event.
- Preliminary information was released about this year’s Candlelight Processional. The popular Christmas event will greatly expand to 40 performances over 20 nights, begining December 1st. Shows on December 1 and 2 will be invitation-only; the remainder will be available to annual Passholders and guests purchasing special dining packages. Information on pricing, booking, and location is not yet available, though there is speculation that the show will move from Town Square to the Fantasyland Theatre.
- A product launch event was announced for this coming Saturday (8/25) at Downtown Disney’s D Street store to celebrate the release of new Star Wars-themed Vinylmation collectibles.
- In celebrity-spotting news, singer Cheryl Crow and actors John Krasinski and Emily Blunt visited Cars Land last week.
- Disney released new YouTube videos featuring the shop interiors and interactive characters found along DCA’s Buena Vista Street.
- Chef Christine Weissman, formerly of Walt Disney World and the Disney Cruise Line, has been appointed the new Executive Chef of both Disneyland Resort theme parks.
- Who wants candy? Check out this video tour of the newly remodeled Candy Kitchen on Disneyland’s Main Street USA.
- The Orange County Register reported impressive increases in Anaheim hotel occupancy rates and room rates, thanks to the popularity of Cars Land.
- A warm-up meet-up inside Cars Land for 30 lucky runners in the upcoming Disneyland Half-Marathon was announced, and quickly filled to capacity.
Openings, Closures, and Refurbishments
- The Princess Fantasy Faire has closed, and the Fantasyland Theatre is being turned back into an entertainment venue. A new Fantasy Faire is being constructed near the hub at the former Carnation Plaza Gardens, schedule to open in 2013. In the meantime, the Princess Royal Walk meet & greets have been relocated to the elevated mall outside it’s a small world.
- In an effort to improve loading times and guest saftey, the colorful beach balls have been removed from Luigi’s Flying Tires. Weight is also being removed from the vehicles in an effort to increase their speed. The ride remains in operation.
- Construction continues on Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney, with the former newsstand out front now demolished.