Epcot Leave a Legacy Monoliths Are Being Removed

The day has finally come. The Leave a Legacy monoliths are now being removed from the Epcot entrance, to make way for a new, cleaner entrance area. The Leave a Legacy stones started as part of Walt Disney World’s Millennium Celebration, which ran from October 1, 1999, to January 1, 2001. From that time until June 2007, when sales ended, guest could purchase small messages and photos that would be etched in metal and displayed on large stones at the Epcot entrance.

Much reviled for their resemblance to tombstones, the Leave a Legacy monoliths did have their fans, particularly those tens of thousands of guests whose images lived inside Epcot for a decade or more.

Construction walls have been put up around the monoliths, but you can watch the removal progress from the monorail.

In addition to the Epcot monolith removal, progress is continuing at the Transportation and Ticket Center with the removal of the Walk Around the World stones there.

TTC stone demolition from above

How do you feel about the removal of the legacy monoliths and paving stones? Will you miss them or glad to see them go? Let us know in the comments.

Photos: Christina Harrison

Erin Foster

Erin Foster is an original member of the Walt Disney World Moms Panel at DisneyWorldMoms.com, a regular contributor to TouringPlans.com, and co-author of The Unofficial Guide to Disney Cruise Line. She's been to WDW, DL, DL Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland, Aulani, DVC Vero Beach, and DVC Hilton Head. She's a Platinum DCL cruiser and veteran of 10 Adventures by Disney trips. Erin lives near New York City, where she can often be found indulging in her other obsession - Broadway theater. Erin can be reached on Twitter @MsErinFoster.

47 thoughts on “Epcot Leave a Legacy Monoliths Are Being Removed

• May 20, 2019 at 12:21 pm

I have mixed feelings about this. I don’t have a Leave a Legacy, but if I did I probably would feel I’d been cheated or betrayed a bit. On the other hand, I can understand WDW wanting to streamline the entrance. At least they’re not completely eliminating them like the bricks at the entrance of Magic Kingdom. And I have to admit, I always did find them a little bit creepy… 😉

• May 20, 2019 at 1:52 pm

Good riddance. They obstructed safe traffic flow and the sightlines crucial to what guests were meant to see upon entering Epcot Center. Huge, ugly tombstones. Looking forward to seeing them in the Saturday Six graveyard!

• May 20, 2019 at 3:47 pm

Sad to see the Leave a Legacy tiles gone – We used them as a measuring stick for the kids every trip – Son just celebrated his 21st bday last week and was able to take a pic of himself beside his 3yr old self before the demolition started.

• May 21, 2019 at 12:33 pm

While I agree they looked creepy, I hope they move them (or just the pictures and messages) to somewhere else in Epcot. People paid good money thinking they would be there long after they were gone. The name alone shows that people want to be a permanent part of that park.

• May 21, 2019 at 4:13 pm

The legacy plaques are being moved to a, currently unspecified, new location.

• September 8, 2019 at 12:06 am

Hopefully being put out in the parking lot as a traffic barrier.

• May 21, 2019 at 1:24 pm

What happens to the pictures people paid for. This doesnt seem fair

• May 21, 2019 at 4:14 pm

The pictures are being moved. We don’t know the new location yet.

The paving stones are being destroyed. When they were sold, Disney guaranteed display for a particular time period, which they honored.

• May 21, 2019 at 4:53 pm

As someone who bought one of the Leave a Legacy tiles, I want to say we were told that they would be guaranteed to be displayed at Epcot for a minimum of 10 years. I think sales for them stopped around 2007 or 2008, so that means that everyone did get what they paid for at the time. When we bought ours, we had the option to buy an etched stone version of it for something like $25 more to take home with us, which we did. I have no idea how many people took up that offer, but that was one way they could have one of their own for forever. Truth told, since I’m sure the digital files are kept somewhere, I’m surprised that Disney hasn’t opened that up for sales again.

• September 11, 2019 at 9:13 am

The digital files are definitely kept, you could view them upon request behind the counter in the shop underneath spaceship earth when I went 3 years ago.

• May 22, 2019 at 12:28 am

Our family enjoyed finding our tile each year that we visited. I agree that the stones were unsightly but the tiles will hopefully find a new home on property. At minimum- it would be great for Disney to contact the families that contributed and offer to ship the tiles to their owners. Personally, I won’t be buying any legacy sale items any time soon. They don’t seem to last.

• June 30, 2019 at 10:58 am

I’m very sad about this my brother and I would always race to find our parents picture and now it’s gone it’s just a terrible feeling I wish they would just leave it because it’s perfect the way it is

• August 8, 2019 at 6:34 pm

My husband and I would race to find our pic too. He died last year and it made me feel good to know his pic was always there in his favorite park. I would still race to find it alone. If they don’t move them somewhere else I would pay to get ours back. It’s means a lot to me

• July 8, 2019 at 10:47 am

I did have a leave a legacy from our honeymoon in 2002. Kinda wish they would have let those know who had one what they were planning on doing before having to see a post about it. And I would have liked it if they sent you your stamp that they were removing. Yes it would be work on their part to do that but to completely just get rid of it I think is wrong.

• August 13, 2019 at 8:50 am

So sad these are finally really leaving. We have many fond memories of forcing our kids to pose for pictures by their tile before we would let them run to an attraction. Bright sun in squinty, angry eyes. Love those pictures! I hope we can at least view them digitally in the future.

• August 16, 2019 at 9:05 am

If the stone monoliths took up too much space, these images should be transferred to a more modern display of life and joy that these Disney experiences represent. It would also be a great gesture on the part of WDW to send the stainless steel plaques to the families.

Chuck
    Lancaster, PA

• September 11, 2019 at 2:31 pm

Legacy means forever. Forget about the legal 10 year stuff. I was told Quote. “ Leave your legacy at Epcot. “ Disney execs are smart enough to know this. They are hiding behind the legality. To get these out of the entrance, I don’t have an issue with, but put them someone else. Whether it’s one person or a million. These legacy stones mean a lot to the families. Many people who have pictures there have died and this is their Disney legacy to their sons daughters. Grandchildren. And Disney just takes it away. The execs who have decided to get rid of these should have to explain their reasoning, I don’t see that happening.

• September 18, 2019 at 11:59 pm

Had our kids pics taken on the legacy…our youngest first visit…every visit we would look for it and take their pics next to it. I thought I remember hearing they were going to cut the tiles up and offer them to purchase. Hope they show up somewhere close that we can continue the mad rush to find them like we have all these years when arriving at EPCOT! Worth every penny just to see their faces when they found it

• September 19, 2019 at 1:38 pm

I’m sad. My husband and myself are one of those stones and he is now passed. Would like to get the stone back.

• September 21, 2019 at 4:15 pm

To all the haters, shame on you. My wife and I spent our honeymoon at the Grand Floridian in 2003. At the time you got wishes to use for whatever you wanted(food, gifts, sports, etc) to use them for instead of a dining plan and so on. This was one of the keepsakes we had a choice of. We did do the extra option for the take home version and they send you the negatives. Before we were Florida residents we enjoyed seeing our tile every year. Now that we have kids they enjoy seeing us on there. My wife worked for Disney. They are being relocated that’s all. So, to the people with the rude comments, don’t hate. .

• September 26, 2019 at 7:59 am

I am very sad to hear about this. My kids were young when we purchased the tiles and we always looked forward to finding them on our family vacations to WDW. Our last trip together was when my youngest was 22. It was awesome to see it again after so many years. We even saw the original digital picture in one of the shops under spaceship earth. Will the walls be relocated somewhere else? Or will they just be destroyed?

• September 26, 2019 at 9:24 am

The monoliths have been destroyed, but we are told that the etching have been preserved and will be relocated to another area near Epcot. No word yet on when or where that might happen.

• September 27, 2019 at 6:19 am

I do feel cheated.
    We should get an offer of a mini version.

• September 27, 2019 at 8:07 am

Don’t know if it is still offered, but when we bought ours, we had the option to buy our image etched on stone to take home as a small (4×6) plaque. I think it was about $30 at the time. No idea if Disney is still offering this, or if they’d be able to send you a copy of the image so you could take it somewhere to have that done, but it was a great option for us. (We bought one for us and one for each of our parents to announce our engagement.)

• October 6, 2019 at 2:55 pm

As a mom that had my 2 children put on a tile there as a legacy for when they grow up and have children I am very disappointed and this was very misleading. What are they doing with them?

• November 22, 2019 at 3:44 pm

Any word of where these moved or will move to?

• December 1, 2019 at 4:58 pm

I purchased one for a deceased friend and would like a copy of the etching for her grave. Always went to see it when at Epcot. How do I get a copy. I have my number.

Thanks

• January 7, 2020 at 7:00 am

I am sad to see the tiles go. We and many others did our tile on 9/11. We had our tile pic taken shortly before the attacks and every year we visit it and pray for lives lost.

• January 7, 2020 at 10:18 am

I want my tile back if they are going to get rid of them. It’s of me and my deceased husband.

• January 7, 2020 at 10:26 am

My mom and I got our photo etched and were given a guarantee of fifty years. They better be put on display someplace else in the park. I would be heartbroken if I couldn’t go see it on our next trip.

• January 11, 2020 at 4:51 pm

I was sad to hear of this news as I just happened upon the Leave a Legacy folders with photo negatives of me and each of my children taken in March of 2000. This folder has a plastic credit card sized card with info on how to access your photo online, but I have not had any luck. Is there a reason why this option is no longer available? The exact information on the card reads to access your photo online, visit http://www.Disney.com/LivingLegacy Powered online by MyFamily.com. Any help in how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

• January 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm

Kathryn, my wife and I are annual pass holders from NJ but live in Florida now. My wife worked for Disney and the word is they are going to be on the outside of the entrance of the part. Nothing has been said specific though. We bought ours on our honeymoon in 2003 and they told us 20 years. Hope this helps.

• January 16, 2020 at 12:15 am

My parents, 2 nephews & I had our picture plaque taken during a vacation trip & always enjoyed going to Epcot to view them. My father passed away in 2015, my mom now has Alzheimer’s, my nephew is married & has 3 boys & was looking forward to sharing with them this legacy. Can anyone advise where will they be placed? How can we contact Disney?

• January 19, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Ah so sad to read this took my 3 boys here from England and only my second oldest my Darren and myself had ours etched he passed away 7 years ago xx

• February 1, 2020 at 3:48 pm

This is the first I am hearing of the stones being removed. We were looking forward to share our etchings with our granddaughter this month. Her Mom was her age when we had them done.

• February 2, 2020 at 7:54 pm

I am very upset with Disney. When we purchased the tile we were told it would remain in the park forever. It may be moved to another area, but never taken out. Based on this info we decided to get it done. This year marks 20 years for us, and you are removing them? I’m so upset, I will probably never come back to Epcot again. What about people who’s family members are on that wall, but are no longer alive. Shame on you Disney, you lied to your fans. My daughters were going to bring their daughter to see it, but that dream will never happen. Thanks for taking our money, and lying to us. What is it you say? A dream is a wish your heart makes? You’ve just crushed a lot of people’s hearts.

• June 22, 2020 at 11:46 pm

Unbelievable we’ve paid good money for that we had such a good time in 2000.we were coming back in 2020, not now covid and the way our world is now we are lucky we can eat and afford the Bills.

• June 30, 2020 at 4:19 pm

I was extremely sad to learn of the removal of the tiles on the internet. My husband and I always rushed to find the stone/tile and now it is gone? We paid good money for this and LOVED Walt Disney world for this. And we had a brick which I heard is gone too. Now both of our contributions to WDW are gone. How terrible of them. My husband is now passed away and I KNOW that he would be very upset. Going there 13 years in a row. For what? I am Not going back.

• July 3, 2020 at 11:32 am

Sad to see it go. We’ve been going since my son was 3, he is now 26. We had it done twice. Hopefully DIsney will let us know the location our plaques have been moved to.

• July 3, 2020 at 12:23 pm

My wife is a former cast member and we have 2 there. Supposedly they will be out by the entrance to Epcot.

• July 7, 2020 at 10:26 am

I am very upset that they are removing Leave A Legacy. When my husband and I did this our dream was that our grandchildren would see it when they came and now that will not happen. They should have never have done this if this is what was going to happen.

• July 7, 2020 at 10:47 am

Cindy, Supposedly they will still be there. They are suppose to put them at the front of the park at the entrance.

• September 4, 2020 at 9:22 pm

I am upset over this. My late girlfriend & I had ours done in 2000. I am going back this year in December. I wanted to see it. I hope they place it somewhere else in the park. If not I wish I could buy out part of the tin.

• September 6, 2020 at 6:34 am

We had our childrens done in 2000 and planned to come back in 2020 with grandchildren. Now they will no longer be able to see their Mum and Dad at the same age they are now, so so sad. Hopefully they do get reerected at the front for our own Legacy …. honour your promise WDW as you say it’s ‘where dreams come true’ !!! Thank you

• October 15, 2020 at 11:25 am

How can myself and my family buy the stone peices that were on the monumental Epcot entrance way. We paid for them and would like to have them for our wonderful memories of visits 2-3 times a year to Walt Disney World. Please let us know how,we would be grateful.

• October 16, 2020 at 9:32 am

I would like to buy (which we shouldn’t have to since we did already buy them) my tile that was at the entrance of Epcot. It has my late husbands name and mine on it and since my visit to Disney this year was cancelled due to the virus and don’t know when I will be able to get there I would like to have my memory tile.