Epcot Leave a Legacy Monoliths Are Being Removed

The day has finally come. The Leave a Legacy monoliths are now being removed from the Epcot entrance, to make way for a new, cleaner entrance area. The Leave a Legacy stones started as part of Walt Disney World’s Millennium Celebration, which ran from October 1, 1999, to January 1, 2001. From that time until June 2007, when sales ended, guest could purchase small messages and photos that would be etched in metal and displayed on large stones at the Epcot entrance.

Much reviled for their resemblance to tombstones, the Leave a Legacy monoliths did have their fans, particularly those tens of thousands of guests whose images lived inside Epcot for a decade or more.

Construction walls have been put up around the monoliths, but you can watch the removal progress from the monorail.

In addition to the Epcot monolith removal, progress is continuing at the Transportation and Ticket Center with the removal of the Walk Around the World stones there.

TTC stone demolition from above

How do you feel about the removal of the legacy monoliths and paving stones? Will you miss them or glad to see them go? Let us know in the comments.

Photos: Christina Harrison

Erin Foster

Erin Foster is an original member of the Walt Disney World Moms Panel at DisneyWorldMoms.com, a regular contributor to TouringPlans.com, and co-author of The Unofficial Guide to Disney Cruise Line. She's been to WDW, DL, DL Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland, Aulani, DVC Vero Beach, and DVC Hilton Head. She's a Platinum DCL cruiser and veteran of 10 Adventures by Disney trips. Erin lives near New York City, where she can often be found indulging in her other obsession - Broadway theater. Erin can be reached on Twitter @MsErinFoster.

14 thoughts on “Epcot Leave a Legacy Monoliths Are Being Removed

• May 20, 2019 at 12:21 pm

I have mixed feelings about this. I don’t have a Leave a Legacy, but if I did I probably would feel I’d been cheated or betrayed a bit. On the other hand, I can understand WDW wanting to streamline the entrance. At least they’re not completely eliminating them like the bricks at the entrance of Magic Kingdom. And I have to admit, I always did find them a little bit creepy… 😉

• May 20, 2019 at 1:52 pm

Good riddance. They obstructed safe traffic flow and the sightlines crucial to what guests were meant to see upon entering Epcot Center. Huge, ugly tombstones. Looking forward to seeing them in the Saturday Six graveyard!

• May 20, 2019 at 3:47 pm

Sad to see the Leave a Legacy tiles gone – We used them as a measuring stick for the kids every trip – Son just celebrated his 21st bday last week and was able to take a pic of himself beside his 3yr old self before the demolition started.

• May 21, 2019 at 12:33 pm

While I agree they looked creepy, I hope they move them (or just the pictures and messages) to somewhere else in Epcot. People paid good money thinking they would be there long after they were gone. The name alone shows that people want to be a permanent part of that park.

• May 21, 2019 at 4:13 pm

The legacy plaques are being moved to a, currently unspecified, new location.

• May 21, 2019 at 1:24 pm

What happens to the pictures people paid for. This doesnt seem fair

• May 21, 2019 at 4:14 pm

The pictures are being moved. We don’t know the new location yet.

The paving stones are being destroyed. When they were sold, Disney guaranteed display for a particular time period, which they honored.

• May 21, 2019 at 4:53 pm

As someone who bought one of the Leave a Legacy tiles, I want to say we were told that they would be guaranteed to be displayed at Epcot for a minimum of 10 years. I think sales for them stopped around 2007 or 2008, so that means that everyone did get what they paid for at the time. When we bought ours, we had the option to buy an etched stone version of it for something like $25 more to take home with us, which we did. I have no idea how many people took up that offer, but that was one way they could have one of their own for forever. Truth told, since I’m sure the digital files are kept somewhere, I’m surprised that Disney hasn’t opened that up for sales again.

• May 22, 2019 at 12:28 am

Our family enjoyed finding our tile each year that we visited. I agree that the stones were unsightly but the tiles will hopefully find a new home on property. At minimum- it would be great for Disney to contact the families that contributed and offer to ship the tiles to their owners. Personally, I won’t be buying any legacy sale items any time soon. They don’t seem to last.

• June 30, 2019 at 10:58 am

I’m very sad about this my brother and I would always race to find our parents picture and now it’s gone it’s just a terrible feeling I wish they would just leave it because it’s perfect the way it is

• August 8, 2019 at 6:34 pm

My husband and I would race to find our pic too. He died last year and it made me feel good to know his pic was always there in his favorite park. I would still race to find it alone. If they don’t move them somewhere else I would pay to get ours back. It’s means a lot to me

• July 8, 2019 at 10:47 am

I did have a leave a legacy from our honeymoon in 2002. Kinda wish they would have let those know who had one what they were planning on doing before having to see a post about it. And I would have liked it if they sent you your stamp that they were removing. Yes it would be work on their part to do that but to completely just get rid of it I think is wrong.

• August 13, 2019 at 8:50 am

So sad these are finally really leaving. We have many fond memories of forcing our kids to pose for pictures by their tile before we would let them run to an attraction. Bright sun in squinty, angry eyes. Love those pictures! I hope we can at least view them digitally in the future.

• August 16, 2019 at 9:05 am

If the stone monoliths took up too much space, these images should be transferred to a more modern display of life and joy that these Disney experiences represent. It would also be a great gesture on the part of WDW to send the stainless steel plaques to the families.

Chuck