The time has finally come. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, the immersive Star Wars land, is opening at Disneyland on May 31, 2019. TOMORROW! (East coast folks will have to wait until August 29 for Galaxy’s Edge to open at Walt Disney World.)
TouringPlans has a big team at Disneyland right now, ready to cover every aspect of the opening. In preparation for the news to come, let’s look back at everything we know so far. For each area, here’s a brief summary and links to our previous in-depth coverage.
The First News
The creation of a “Star Wars Land” was first announced by Disney CEO Bog Iger at the D23 Convention in August 2015. Here we got our very first look at concept art and the news that there would be a Star Wars Land at both Disneyland and at Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World. In February 2016, we saw more substantial concept art and learned that there would be two attractions, a restaurant, and a cantina. Not until July 2017, did we learned the official name of the new land – Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
- Star Wars Land is announced
- TouringPlans writer Derek Burgan’s first reaction to Star Wars Land
- TouringPlans writer Savannah Sanders speculates what the Star Wars Land planet would be. Spoiler Alert: We got it wrong.
- Disneyland’s Rivers of America is downsized to make room for Star Wars Land
- More Star Wars Land concept art is released
- We learn the name of the planet for Star Wars Land
After the initial announcement about Star Wars Land, we began to get real solid information about names and dates. Batuu. Galaxy’s Edge. Summer 2019. News!
- Star Wars Land name is announced
- Disney confirms opening season for both Galaxy’s Edge locations
- Galaxy’s Edge opening dates announced
- We have the first look at the Galaxy’s Edge map
- Disney Parks announces that the Galaxy’s Edge dedication will be live streamed
- Overview of what to expect at Galaxy’s Edge
- Aerial views of Galaxy’s Edge
- Len talks with Carlye Wisel of Travel + Leisure about what she’s seen behind the scenes at Galaxy’s Edge
- Update on Galaxy’s Edge construction at WDW
- We get a glimpse of the Chess Room in the Millennium Falcon
- More aerial shots of Disneyland Galaxy’s Edge
We know the names of the two Galaxy’s Edge attractions, but not all the details. One big piece of news is that only one of the two attractions will be running when Galaxy’s Edge initially opens.
- Disney releases the names of the two Galaxy’s Edge attractions
- A Bluetooth notification for Disneyland guests hints at interactive elements of the Galaxy’s Edge attractions
- How to use the Play Parks app in Galaxy’s Edge
- Angela and Brian talked to Alex Robinson of Star Wars Minute on the TouringPlans podcast
Food and Beverage
Space travelers gotta eat (and drink), and Galaxy’s Edge has that covered. There will be snacks and real meals, kid foods and adult drinks, and it’s all impeccably themed to Star Wars. We can’t wait!
- Galaxy’s Edge will include a cantina!
- Comprehensive overview of lunch and dinner options at Galaxy’s Edge
- A look at beverage options in Galaxy’s Edge
- Disney releases news about Galaxy’s Edge breakfast options
- We learn how much blue milk will cost
- Allergy-friendly offerings for Docking Bay 7
- Guests will be able to use Mobile Order at Galaxy’s Edge quick service venues
Exit through the gift shop! Plush items, clothing, throwaway gifts, and multi-thousand-dollar collectors’ items, Galaxy’s Edge will have it all.
- The build-your-own lightsabers will be available in four themes.
- Personalized Galaxy’s Edge tee shirts are available on shopDisney.com
- A hot souvenir from Galaxy’s Edge may be a free drink coaster
- Derek takes a look at Galaxy’s Edge comic books
- Guy has a video review of DJ Rex, a droid toy from Galaxy’s Edge
- Guy shows us the first food-based merchandise item, a Meals Ready to Eat kit
- Guy has a video preview of some Galaxy’s Edge merchandise
- Comprehensive overview of all merchandise categories
- Details about the wares at Droid Depot
- Procedures for buying opening day merchandise
- The popcorn stand will have collectable sipper cups and popcorn buckets
- Savi’s Workshop is an interactive experience plus merchandise sales location
One of the hottest areas of speculation has been about crowd control issues related to what is sure to be the Disney theme parks’ largest draws ever. Disney is instituting different rules for crowds at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
- Here’s how the Virtual Queue will work at Disneyland
- Galaxy’s Edge capacity rules will be enforced
- Walt Disney World will offer extra Extra Magic Hours to help with Galaxy’s Edge crowds
- Steve looked at possible methods for Galaxy’s Edge crowd control
- We’re tweaking the Crowd Calendar as we learn more about Galaxy’s Edge
- How Galaxy’s Edge will impact the TouringPlans crowd calendar
We Had Fun Getting Ready
To get in the Galaxy’s Edge spirit, Brian and Angela did a full rewatch of all the Star Wars movies and discussed the films with viewers on our YouTube channel.
- The Last Jedi
- The Force Awakens
- Return of the Jedi
- Empire Strikes Back
- A New Hope
- Rogue One
- Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Revenge of the Sith
- Attack of the Clones
- The Phantom Menace
Are you as excited as we are for Galaxy’s Edge? Do you have specific questions you want our team to research when they’re at the opening this weekend? Do you have a trip planned? Or are you planning to avoid the whole thing? Let us know in the comments.
Save time! Save money! Have fun! For complete access to all of our great vacation-planning tools like the Crowd Calendar, customizable Touring Plans, Cheapest Ticket Calculator, Dining Reservation Finder, Hotel Room Request automator, and MORE, subscribe to TouringPlans.com.