Description And Comments
Only slightly scarier than a whoopee cushion, The Haunted Mansion serves up some of the Magic Kingdom’s best visual effects. “Doom Buggies” on a conveyor belt transport you through the house from parlor to attic, then through a graveyard. The effects change tone with the setting: Those found in the house are generally spooky, while the graveyard effects, such as a ghostly opera singer wearing a Viking helmet, are there for laughs. Some kids become anxious about what they think they’ll see; almost nobody actually gets scared.
Unofficial Guide writer Eve Zibart, a Haunted Mansion fan, says:
This is one of the best attractions in the Magic Kingdom. It's jam-packed with visual puns, special effects, hidden Mickeys, and really lovely Victorian-spooky sets. It's not scary, except in the sweetest of ways, but it will remind you of the days before ghost stories gave way to slasher flicks.
A Temple, Texas, mom isn't convinced:
You say the actual sights are not really frightening. What isn't frightening about a hanging corpse, a coffin escapee, and an axe-welding skeleton bride?
A mom from Victoria, British Columbia, wishes teens would shut their pieholes:
My 4-year-old daughter loved Space Mountain, but The Haunted Mansion really scared her. Our experience was that teenagers deliberately scream and pretend to be scared on this ride. This scares the crap out of the little ones.
Interactive elements in the left side of The Haunted Mansion’s outdoor queue ensure that guests have something to occupy them when lines are long. Features include a music-playing monument, an old-fashioned pipe organ, and a ship captain’s tomb that squirts water. Disneyphiles will recognize the names on many of these elements as tributes to the mansion’s designers.
Lines here ebb and flow more than those at most other Magic Kingdom hot spots because the Mansion is near The Hall of Presidents and the Liberty Belle Riverboat. These two attractions disgorge 700 and 450 people, respectively, when each show or ride ends, and many of these folks head straight for the Mansion. If you can't go before 11:30 a.m. or after 8 p.m., try to slip in between crowds.
If you're touring the Magic Kingdom in a single day, you'll find that FastPass+ saves more time at other attractions than it does here. On the other hand, you may find it useful if you're touring over two or more days.
This chart shows you roughly how long you'll wait for The Haunted Mansion when you visit on a day with a given Magic Kingdom Crowd Level. The blue bars represent the average "peak" wait time (that is, how long the line will at its busiest). The bottom and top black lines represent the range of peak wait times to expect (for you fellow nerds out there: it's the 5th percentile and 95th percentile of peak wait times). Please note that these are estimates, and for a better forecast for your travel dates, see The Haunted Mansion Wait Times.
- We rate this attraction as Not To Be Missed.
Frightens some very young children.
Disney Dish with Jim Hill
OLD-HAT IN A GOOD WAY
As part of Disneyland’s 60th anniversary celebration, the long-gone-but-not-forgotten Hatbox Ghost returned to that theme park’s Haunted Mansion. Walt Disney World’s 50th anniversary is coming up in 2021, and according to what Imagineering insiders have recently told me, Disney World may get a hatbox-shaped birthday present at that time. But probably not sooner.
Other Attractions in Liberty Square
Touring Plans with The Haunted Mansion
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Touring Plan for Active Seniors
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide Adult One-Day Touring Plan
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Touring Plan for Tweens and Their Parents
- Magic Kingdom Happy Family One-Day Touring Plan
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide Dumbo-or-Die-in-a-Day Touring Plan
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Holiday Touring Plan for Active Seniors
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide Selective One-Day Touring Plan for Adults
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Late Arrival Touring Plan for Seniors
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide Two-Day Touring Plan - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Younger and Older Children
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Touring Plan for Active Seniors - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Touring Plan for Families with Pre-Teens
- Magic Kingdom Late Arrival One-Day Touring Plan for Adults
- Magic Kingdom Adult Two-Day Late Arrival Touring Plan - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Adult Plan-One Afternoon and One Full Day - Afternoon
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Dumbo-or-Die Touring Plan - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Adult Plan-One Afternoon and One Full Day - Full Day
- Magic Kingdom Sunrise/Starlight Touring Plan for Adults - Sunset Plan
- Magic Kingdom Parents' Plan-One Afternoon and One Full Day - Full Day
- Magic Kingdom Touring Plan for Junior Pirates and Explorers Ages 4-8
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Not-A-Touring-Plan Plan for Adults
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Touring Plan for Junior Pirates and Adventurers Ages 4 to 8 - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Not-A-Touring-Plan Plan for Parents and Adults
- Magic Kingdom Afternoon and Full-Day Not-A-Touring-Plan Plan for Parents and Adults
- Magic Kingdom Evening EMH Plan for Adults - Fantasyland, Frontierland and Liberty Square
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Touring Plan for Disney Cruise Guests
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party for Parents with Small Children (Focus on Treats)
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party for Parents with Small Children (Focus on Attractions)
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party for Adults
- See all Touring Plans...
As of 3:09am EDT on 9/1/15
Party of 1
|Available for 9:05a, 9:40a, 10:20a, 10:30a, 11:10a, 11:45a, 12:20p, 12:50p, 1:05p, 1:55p, 2:25p, 2:35p, 3p, 3:40p, 4:05p, 4:45p, 5:10p, 5:50p, 6:10p, 6:35p, 7:15p, 7:40p, 8:25p, 8:55p, and 9p|
|Latest MK FP+ Availability|
|Wait per 100 people ahead||2.5 minutes|
|Assumes||Both "stretch rooms" operating|
When to go
Before 11:30 a.m. or after 8 p.m.
|Opening Date||October 1, 1971|
|Scope and scale||Major Attraction|
|Closures / Refurbishments|
Let us know.