Description And Comments
Totally enclosed in a mammoth futuristic structure, Space Mountain has always been the Magic Kingdom's most popular attraction. The theme is a space flight through dark recesses of the galaxy. Effects are superb, and the ride is the fastest and wildest in the Magic Kingdom. As a roller coaster, Space Mountain is much zippier than Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, but much tamer than the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Disney's Hollywood Studios or Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
As a headliner attraction, Space Mountain goes through regular refurbishments to add effects and maintain ride quality. Past improvements include new lighting and effects, an improved sound system and soundtrack, and interactive games in the queue to help pass the time in line. Roller-coaster aficionados will tell you (correctly) that Space Mountain is a designer version of the Wild Mouse, a midway ride that’s been around for almost 60 years. There are no long drops or swooping hills as there are on a traditional roller coaster—only quick, unexpected turns and small drops. Disney’s contribution essentially was to add a space theme to the Wild Mouse and put it in the dark. And this does indeed make the Mouse seem wilder.
A family of five from Laramie, Wyoming, has this to say:
The refurbished Space Mountain is fantastic! The cars are much more comfortable, and they've added video-game entertainment near the end of the tunnel portion of the wait.
A Texas mother of two advises working up to Space Mountain:
You might want to start all children off on Goofy's Barnstormer, then work up to Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain. We tried Space Mountain first because there was no line, and it ruined the boys for the rest of the trip.
And an Elburn, Illinois, reader recommends special equipment:
They should require you to wear a neck brace on Space Mountain. That ride is painful.
- This attraction offers FastPass+.
- Open for Morning Extra Magic Hour.
- Open for Evening Extra Magic Hours.
People who can handle a fairly wild roller-coaster ride will take Space Mountain in stride. What sets Space Mountain apart is that cars plummet through darkness, with only occasional lighting. Half the fun of Space Mountain is not knowing where the car will go next.
Space Mountain is the favorite attraction of many Magic Kingdom visitors ages 7-60. Each morning before opening, particularly during summer and holiday periods, several hundred Space Mountain "junkies" crowd the rope barriers at the Central Plaza, awaiting the signal to head to the ride's entrance. To get ahead of the competition, be one of the first in the park. Proceed to the end of Main Street and wait at the entrance to Tomorrowland.
Seats are one behind another, as opposed to side by side. Parents whose children meet the height and age requirements for Space Mountain can't sit next to their kids.
If you don't catch Space Mountain first in the morning, use FastPass+ or try again during the hour before closing. Often, would-be riders are held in line outside the entrance until all those previously in line have ridden, thus emptying the attraction. The appearance from the outside is that the line is enormous when, in fact, the only people waiting are those visible. This crowd-control technique, known as "stacking," discourages visitors from getting in line. Stacking is used at several Disney rides and attractions during the hour before closing to ensure that the ride will be able to close on schedule. It is also used to keep the number of people who are waiting inside from overwhelming the air-conditioning. Despite the apparently long line, the wait is usually no longer than if you had been allowed to queue inside.
This chart shows you roughly how long you'll wait for Space Mountain when you visit on a day with a given Magic Kingdom Crowd Level. The blue bars represent the average "peak" wait time (that is, how long the line will at its busiest). The bottom and top black lines represent the range of peak wait times to expect (for you fellow nerds out there: it's the 5th percentile and 95th percentile of peak wait times). Please note that these are estimates, and for a better forecast for your travel dates, see Space Mountain Wait Times.
- We rate this attraction as Not To Be Missed.
- This attraction has a minimum-height requirement of 44 inches.
- This attraction offers rider swap.
Great fun and action; much wilder than Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. 44" minimum height requirement; children younger than age 7 must be accompanied by an adult. Switching-off option provided.
- Physical Considerations
- Must Transfer To Standard Wheelchair, And Then To Ride Vehicle
- No Service Animals
Other Attractions in Tomorrowland
- A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas Show
- Astro Orbiter
- Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
- Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
- Stitch's Great Escape!
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover
- Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
Touring Plans with Space Mountain
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide Adult One-Day Touring Plan
- Magic Kingdom Happy Family One-Day Touring Plan
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Touring Plan for Tweens and Their Parents
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide Selective One-Day Touring Plan for Adults
- Magic Kingdom Happy Family Two-Day Touring Plan - Day 2
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Younger and Older Children
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide Two-Day Touring Plan - Day 2
- Magic Kingdom Touring Plan for Families with Pre-Teens
- Magic Kingdom Late Arrival One-Day Touring Plan for Adults
- Magic Kingdom Adult Plan-One Afternoon and One Full Day - Afternoon
- Magic Kingdom Touring Plan for Junior Pirates and Explorers Ages 4-8
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Not-A-Touring-Plan Plan for Adults
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Not-A-Touring-Plan Plan for Parents and Adults
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Touring Plan for Junior Pirates and Adventurers Ages 4 to 8 - Day 2
- Magic Kingdom Afternoon and Full-Day Not-A-Touring-Plan Plan for Parents and Adults
- Magic Kingdom Evening EMH Plan for Adults
- Magic Kingdom Evening EMH Plan for Adults - Tomorrowland and Fantasyland
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party for Adults
- Magic Kingdom Christmas Party Touring Plan for Adults
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Touring Plan for Disney Cruise Guests
- Magic Kingdom Adult One-Day Holiday Touring Plan
- Ultimate Touring Plan: Magic Kingdom Standard Hours
- Ultimate Touring Plan: Magic Kingdom Morning Extra Magic Hours
- Magic Kingdom Adult Two-Day Late Arrival Touring Plan - Day 2
- See all Touring Plans...
As of 6:09am EST on 11/26/14
Party of 1
|Available for 8:05a, 9a, 9:50a, 10a, 10:30a, 11a, 11:35a, 12:05p, 12:40p, 1:20p, 1:50p, 2p, 3p, 4p, 4:50p, 5p, 5:55p, 6:25p, 6:30p, 7:10p, 7:40p, 8:10p, 8:40p, 9:20p, 9:40p, 10p, and 10:30p|
|Latest MK FP+ Availability|
|Wait per 100 people ahead||3 minutes|
|Assumes||Two tracks, one dedicated to FastPass+ riders, dispatching at 21-second intervals|
When to go
When the park opens, or use FastPass+
|Opening Date||January 15, 1975|
|Scope and scale||Super Headliner|
Let us know.