Visitor Toll Pass – A New Option for Visitors with Rental Cars

Travelers renting a car in Orlando are familiar with the tollways leading to Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando, I-Drive, and Fort Lauderdale. Previously, guests would need to carry spare change or purchase a toll program from the rental car companies. Now visitors can partake in a trial Visitor Toll Pass starting May 1 and running through August 1, 2019. The new pass promises to save money for those who pay cash or purchase a toll pass through a rental car company.

How Does It Work?

Visitors register online for their Visitor Toll Pass prior to their trip and pick up their passes in the airport. Visitor Toll Pass are hung on the rear view mirror of their vehicle, granting entry through any E-Pass, SunPass, or LeeWay express lanes. Tolls are automatically paid for using an on file credit card.

Once your vacation is complete return the Visitor Toll Pass at a drop box located along the pedestrian walkways from the rental cars to the airport terminals. Any Visitor Toll Passes not returned will incur a $10 fee in addition to any tolls the vehicle passed through.

Why Use A Visitor Toll Pass?

There are two advantages to using a visitor toll pass: time and money. Travelers with a visitor toll pass can skip the staffed toll booths lines and use the express lanes to pay for tolls. Additionally the Visitor Toll Pass grants travelers a reduced electronic toll rate, 23% off the listed toll (a $2 toll would reduce to $1.54).

How Much Does It Cost?

The Visitor Toll Pass is free, you just have to pay for the tolls you pass through. If a Visitor Toll Pass is not returned at the end of a trip a $10 fee is applied to the credit card.

How and Where Do I Get One?

Register online prior to the trip with the name, address, trip information, and a credit card of the guest using the pass. Once at the Orlando International Airport proceed to the Visitor Toll Pass counter on Level 1 of Terminal A or B between 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. to pick up the pass.

For additional questions visit the Visitor Toll Pass FAQ site or call 1-407-690-5300.

The Visitor Toll Pass is a trial program running May 1 through August 1 for guests traveling through Orlando International Airport and renting a car.

Does the Visitor Toll Pass sound like something that would be a must-do for your visit to save time and money? Let us know in the comments.

Joseph Matt

Avid amusement park and video game fan. Enjoys picking up rare beers at breweries, exploring cities, cooking, and leading the young men of his fraternity.

7 thoughts on “Visitor Toll Pass – A New Option for Visitors with Rental Cars

• May 10, 2019 at 10:12 am

Going to try it in June

• May 10, 2019 at 10:22 am

I already purchased a portable Sunpass transponder a few years ago. Since there are few tolls between the airport and WDW, there were no money savings for me, just convenience. I have used it in several rental cars and at least a couple of times, it got me past a LONG lineup at the cash-only toll booths. This newer option sounds like a better deal. There is no initial purchase fee, unlike the “normal” Sunpass, and there’s no need to remember it and pack it in luggage for the trip.

Also, if you review the various toll payment options offered by the rental car companies, some of them are REALLY expensive. They charge for every day of the rental, whether or not you actually drive anywhere on that day. I would not be surprised if the companies lobby against this trial program just to protect their revenue in that regard.

• May 10, 2019 at 10:24 am

I looked into the rental car toll options and couldn’t find any online pricing, I think they do that on purpose.

• May 10, 2019 at 10:36 am

I’m driving from the northeast in June. I’ll take 95 to I-4. Would I benefit from this?

• May 10, 2019 at 11:05 am

Unfortunately the only place to pick up this pass is at the Orlando International Airport. I’d look and see if any local toll passes work in Florida.

• May 10, 2019 at 3:50 pm

If you’re an EZpass customer, I believe EZ pass works in central florida now.

• May 11, 2019 at 11:43 am

I was all excited until I saw it ended August 1! I hate that the car companies charge you a fee for every day if you use it once – like the time an unmanned booth didn’t record all of my exact change (the very last of it) and I paid a fee for the whole week.

Can you use your own Sunpass with a rental car?