Description And Comments
A substantial part of the Studios was a film and TV-production facility, although very little actual production takes place these days. Nonetheless, visitors can take a backstage tour to learn about production methods and technologies.
The tour begins on the edge of the back lot with the special-effects walking segment, then continues with the tram segment. To reach the Studio Backlot Tour, turn right off Hollywood Boulevard through the Studio Arch into the Animation Courtyard. Bear left at the corner where Voyage of the Little Mermaid is situated. Follow the street until you see a red brick warehouse on your right. Go through the door and up the ramp.
The first stop is a special-effects water tank where technicians explain the mechanical and optical tricks that "turn the seemingly impossible into on-screen reality." Included are rain effects and a naval battle.
A prop room separates the special-effects tank and the tram tour. Trams depart about once every 4 minutes on busy days, winding among production and shop buildings before stopping at the wardrobe and crafts shops. Here, costumes, sets, and props are designed, created, and stored. Still seated on the tram, you look through large windows to see craftsmen at work.
The tour continues through the back lot, where western desert canyons exist side by side with New York City brownstones. The tour's highlight is Catastrophe Canyon, an elaborate special-effects movie set where a thunderstorm, earthquake, oil-field fire, and flash flood are simulated.
A reader from Cherry Hill, New Jersey, found the tour lacking:
I was extremely disappointed to discover how much the Studio Backlot Tour at Disney Hollywood Studios has been shortened. The tram ride is hardly worth the time, as most of the Backlot is now gone. Catastrophe Canyon is tired and in need of refurbishment. The years of fires have caused significant black scarring on the attraction, which detracts from the realism of the effects. And the special-effects/behind-the-scenes walking tour, which I thought was a great experience when I was a young teen, is also no more.
Because the Studio Backlot Tour is one of Disney's most efficient attractions, you will rarely wait more than 15 minutes (usually less than 10). Take the tour at your convenience, but preferably before 5 p.m., when the various workshops shut down for the day.
Use the restroom before getting in line.
- Handheld Captioning Available
- Video Captioning Available
- Audio Description Devices Available
- May Remain In Wheelchair/ECV
- Sign Language Interpretation Available
Disney Dish with Jim Hill
Nearer My Godzilla to Thee
Over the years, the Imagineers have come up with plenty of weird concepts for attractions at the Studios. But among the absolute weirdest had to be a proposed "Scream Actors Guild" attraction: a horror-themed spoof of award shows with an ending where the hosts present a lifetime achievement award...to Godzilla. After Big G had been invited to come on down and accept his award, dimensional sound and in-theater effects would have made it feel as if Godzilla were stomping through the Studios, heading for the theater. And the end gag was supposed to have the terrible lizard literally bring the house down, as a life-size Godzilla foot stomped through the roof and splintered the stage.
- Backlot Tour (StudiosCentral.com)
Other Attractions in Streets of America
- For the First Time In Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure
- Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
- Mulch, Sweat, & Shears
- Muppet*Vision 3D
Touring Plans with Studio Backlot Tour
- Disney's Hollywood Studios One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Disney's Hollywood Studios One-Day Touring Plan for Active Seniors
- Disney's Hollywood Studios Unofficial Guide Touring Plan
- Disney's Hollywood Studios One-Day Touring Plan for Tweens and Parents
- Disney's Hollywood Studios Happy Family One-Day Touring Plan
- Disney's Hollywood Studios One-Day Holiday Touring Plan for Active Seniors
- Disney's Hollywood Studios One-Day Late Arrival Touring Plan for Adults
- Disney's Hollywood Studios One-Day Holiday Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Disney's Hollywood Studios One-Day Holiday Touring Plan for Adults
- Disney's Hollywood Studios One-Day Late Arrival Touring Plan for Active Seniors
- Disney's Hollywood Studios One-Day Late-Arrival Not-A-Touring-Plan for Adults and Parents
- Star Wars Weekend Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Disney's Hollywood Studios Afternoon Touring Plan
- Star Wars Weekend Touring Plan for Adults - Focus on Celebrity Autographs
- Ultimate Touring Plan: Hollywood Studios Standard Hours
- Ultimate Touring Plan: Hollywood Studios Morning Extra Magic Hours
- See all Touring Plans...
|Location||Streets of America|
|Opening Date||May 1, 1989|
|Scope and scale||Headliner|
Let us know.