Problem Solving for Virtual Queue Glitches for Rise of the Resistance

We have several users expressing frustration with the My Disney Experience app when trying to get a Boarding Group for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance at Hollywood Studios. When joining a Boarding Group, the app may falsely state that not everyone in the group is in the park. Typically this problem resolves itself a few minutes after tapping into the park. However, when the problem does not resolve itself, this error throws a wrench into guests’ plans.

For example, Rick wrote to us:

We went on Friday, December 27th and arrived and were past security by 5 am. Then into the park at 5:40 am. Then we waited until 6 am. And then the day went south. And it happened for hundreds of folks. Saw kids crying. Around me, folks were getting boarding passes for group 30. We had nothing. Very dark and hard to find the customer service folks. We did finally find a customer service area and the line was very long — took 23 minutes. By then we got boarding group 118. Not enough customer service folks to fix the glitch quickly.

The current process for getting a Boarding Group for Rise of the Resistance is exacerbating the problem with the app. Currently, Disney allows thousands of guests into Hollywood Studios prior to park opening. Everyone is waiting on Hollywood Boulevard with their phones out, ready to join a Boarding Group when the park opening time arrives. Even if only a small percentage of people are having a problem, they all have the problem at the same time, and the Cast Members who can assist are quickly overwhelmed. Plus, if you’re in a mob of thousands of guests, it is not clear where to go for help.

Before the Park Opens

Make sure everyone in your party is linked to your My Disney Experience app. Be aware of Disney cast members with iPads. If you station yourself right next to a cast member at park opening, that can’t hurt your chances for getting served quickly. If you can get to a cast member quickly, they may be able to get your Boarding Group faster than using the app.

Tips for Resolving App Problems

• Turn off Wi-Fi and use your phone’s mobile data
  • Restart My Disney Experience app
  • Reduce the number of people in Boarding Group

If you get the error “Is Everyone in the Park” remove the problem people and just get Boarding Groups for everyone else. If you can get most of your party a Boarding Group, you can likely talk your way onto the ride.

If you need help, find a “Guest Experience” team member. At Hollywood Studios Guest Experience Team wear blue shirts with the Tower of Terror logo. They and Guest Service cast members will be on the sidewalks of Hollywood Boulevard holding iPads, as well as at these locations:

1. Toy Story Land
  2. Grand Avenue
  3. Hollywood Boulevard
  4. Sunset Boulevard

You might be better off finding the Guest Experience Team away from Hollywood Boulevard, where most guests are gathered.

Guest Experience Team – Grand Avenue
Guest Experience Team – Grand Avenue

Most people do not go to Sunset Boulevard at park opening. It will likely have the shortest wait to get help. While waiting for the Guest Experience Team, keep trying to get Boarding Groups for each person in your party. Hopefully, by the time you get to the Cast Member, they will be able to fix the problem and add the person to your Boarding Group.

How have the Boarding Groups worked for you? Have you run into any challenges? Let us know in the comments.

Steve Bloom

By helping TouringPlans.com continue to reach the most accurate crowd level predictions, Steve finally found a way to meld his training in statistical analysis with a lifelong passion for Disney. He first visited the Magic Kingdom in 1972, just a few months after it opened. Now he enjoys frequent trips with his two kids. At age four his son insisted on wearing cowboy boots to reach the height requirement for Test Track, and his daughter believes that a smoked turkey leg and Dole Whip make a perfectly balanced meal. Even though she doesn't quite get it, Steve's wife is supportive of his Disney activities.

32 thoughts on “Problem Solving for Virtual Queue Glitches for Rise of the Resistance

• January 1, 2020 at 9:28 am

Went on Sunday Dec 29. Followed all recommendations you had been posting (turn off Wifi, make sure app was not open, in the park before 6am open time) and we got group 62! Probably could have gotten lower, but we had a member of our party appear twice in the app and I had to kick the extra out of the group before it would let me get the boarding group #. We went on the ride around noon. It was amazing! The good news that day was that the ride must have been working very well and they got to boarding groups in the 190s (started at 13). Once again Touring Plans did not disappoint in planning our Disney vaca!

• January 1, 2020 at 9:38 am

hi Kelly L,
    What time did you have to arrive at the park?

• January 1, 2020 at 10:54 am

We went 5 mornings between Dec 26 and 31. We were able to get groups 8, 17, 22, 24, and 78, The day we got group 78 there was heavy rain and heavier crowds than other days. I ultimately had to keep hitting “my status” from the ROTR info page before I got it to open up. The days we got 22 and 24 it opened up as should on my phone. On days we got 8 and 17 my wife got them but the option never opened on my phone. They definitely have glitches in the app.

Oh, we were using cellular as you suggested.

• January 1, 2020 at 11:47 am

I want to +1 the advice about joining a boarding group with as many people as the app will allow, even if the app is falsely claiming that others in your party are not inside DHS. Then you can find a Guest Experience Team CM and have that CM add the wrongly excluded people to your boarding group. Do NOT give up when you see the app’s false message and wait for the CM to do everything. Join a boarding group ASAP and *then* have the correction done by a CM.

• January 1, 2020 at 11:51 am

We got to HS at 5:45am on 12/22 and 12/24. Park/boarding groups opened at 7am. Turned wifi off and attempted 10 minutes before 7am and just kept refreshing. A cast member told us to do this…seemed to work on the first day because right at 7am I got boarding group 6. On Christmas Eve my connection was slow and it was more crowded. The app didn’t show the boarding group open for us until 7:03. We got boarding group 82. Still rode RoR around 1pm. It was well worth it for us, this attraction is amazing.

• January 1, 2020 at 11:56 am

How do you refresh the app? Are you closing it and reopening?

• January 1, 2020 at 4:00 pm

Virtual queue will not open until 7am. There is no need to arrive at park earlier than 6:30am. As long as you and every one in the party are admitted into the park, open the page in the app, when clock turns 7, keep refreshing. Preparation is key. I don’t understand what people were complaining about.

• January 1, 2020 at 4:14 pm

I think the glitch lies in if you have been on the ride in last couple of days. My son and I had the issue and my wife did not, but my son and I went on the ride 2 days before. Just a hypothetical answer.

• January 1, 2020 at 5:45 pm

We had a party of 7 one of the problems we had came across was making sure all bands were scanned into the park as soon as that was all done. We were number 151 and we were on stand by not assured that we would get on the ride cause it would cut off by group number 122. So we were unsure when to use our fast passes due to we were on call. But there were a lot of place to keep track on the group numbers being called. But since we were new to this experience, we tried to make ourselves available. So we did one fast pass. Finally my phone gets a ring for our turn around 9pm saying that 10:30 was the wait time. We got to the line as quick as we can, then the staff was asking for numbers. Group number 152 was last group alot of others groups below that number was furious, and the line was still crazy people were not stopping almost trampolining over my kids to pass us as we make sure all our kids were the right height. Then standing in line with rude people who think we cut in front of them knowing we were just measuring our kiddo. The staff members really need to just stop the line if they are going to pull people aside like that. The ride was very amazing but was it worth all that trouble? It was scary to encounter just rude people and having my kids in such a reckless environment cause grown adults just have no sense that children is around and there safety comes first. I made sure that other people children were safe around me and my family. It’s just sad. We went to a guest relations to see if we could redeem the fast passes that we didn’t get to use and she talked to me as if I knew what I was doing. I informed her that we as in all of us and staff didn’t know what time our group was to get in line and how was we suppose to plan accordingly if we are on stand by? But in the end she gave us one multi pass for what ever ride the next day Christmas at Magic Kingdom and that was Crazy but I’ll save that for another time.

• January 2, 2020 at 5:37 am

Posted opening times are 8am for Disney’s Hollywood Studios, yet I had heard they often open before this i.e. between 6 and 6:30 am regardless of the official park opening time. Would arriving early be an advantage in the hope HS opens early?

• January 2, 2020 at 10:33 am

This was true the first weeks Rise of the Resistance was opened. To prevent people from arriving early and early Disney is opening security 1 hour before the park opens. They are allowing guests into the park 30-60 minutes before the park opens, but they are being held on Hollywood Boulevard. People arriving at 6:00 or 7:30 will have the same chance at the Boarding Groups as long as they are in the park.

• January 2, 2020 at 7:04 pm

So, I am the “planner” in my family of 5. Should everyone have the app downloaded and be trying, or just one of us? I can’t figure out if multiple phones pulling same guests is part of the problem.

• January 3, 2020 at 7:28 am

Arrived at 0530 today. In the park at 6:10 and virtual que didn’t open til 7.
    Our two phones didn’t load that it was open so we couldn’t join while others around us were joining. Closed out of app still didn’t load. Finally signed out of Disney app and signed in again to get backup group 155 at 07:04AM. Hoping for the best. It’s super frustrating though. People around us who had access at 7:00 had newer versions of iPhone…not sure if that was the difference.

• January 3, 2020 at 7:45 am

@Erin — we noticed the same thing last week. I have an XS Max and my wife an 11. It was opening for her before me. The first couple of days I got 22 and then 24. The third day was 78. Those 3 were from my phone. The last 2 days it never opened for me and she got 17 and 8.

• January 4, 2020 at 8:27 pm

We ended up with a 152 number on January 3. We (husband, 4 kids, and me) were at the park by 4:45 am. I had my brand new iPhone 11 ready to go. I had gone into the app several times yesterday morning checking everything out. At one point I was able to start the process of joining a boarding group way before 7:00. The app let me choose my guests and when I went to the next screen the app told me I couldn’t join yet – which is what I was expecting. At 6:50 I closed out of the Disney app and reopened it and was using my Att cellular service. I started going in and out of the app at 6:55. At 7:01 I realized everyone had gotten in but me. I quickly got out of line to take care of the problem. Went to guest services but my husband had the actual tickets so I had to go run and catch up with him to try and get the tickets. In the meantime I restarted my phone and was able to get the backup group of 152 which obviously didn’t get called. It was heartbreaking to tell my family – as they returned from slinky dog dash (first ones on BTW) – that we didn’t get a guaranteed spot. Especially since we had been at the park so early. We were probably 15th in our line to scan our tickets to enter the park – so we were there earlier than many people. We thought about extending our vacation and trying again today, but that’s expensive and apparently it’s all a gamble now to get a boarding pass, and we aren’t gamblers:)

• January 5, 2020 at 7:27 am

Just wanted to express our thanks for the information on this site regarding ROTR. We went on Jan 3rd with a party of 8. Goal was to get a BG and rope drop SDD. Thanks to this blog it worked according to plan. Lined up at gate at about 6:00 with a good many folks in front of us but by 6:35 we scanned in and we had lined up in the crowd leading to TSL. Crowds were a little intimidating for the 5 kids (ages 5-13) in tow. Be prepared. Able to do SDD with about a 25-30 min wait. As for BG strategy, my husband had the latest iPhone so we made sure that he had the MDE app and all of us connected. My sister and I also had the app (3 phones trying). We avoided WiFi as directed and used “my status”. My husbands iPhone was the clear winner and got us BG51 faster than my sister’s phone could even get the Join BG. We were tapping the app in the 2 min before 7:00 but I am not sure that mattered. No one around us had a BG earlier than 7 am. 2 young girls next to us got BG 21. We were even more thankful because the ride shut down at least once (while we were in line) and when we left the park at 9:00 pm the app showed BG 94. Clearly not a great day for Dis. When our ride shut down CM’s came around with water and snacks and took anyone needing to go to a bathroom. Then Chewbacca came around for photo ops. Was searching for stats for the day we were there but I cannot find the links??

• January 5, 2020 at 10:16 am

Is there anyway If my boarding group is called at the same time as a dinner reservation or fast pass reservation that we can still attend both?

• January 6, 2020 at 5:17 am

there is a 2hr window after your boarding pass is called so plenty of time to do both

• January 6, 2020 at 5:24 am

I was there last month and rode four times without issue
    What worked for us (party of two) was for one of us to wait by a Customer Service member and the other use the app, at 7am one of us was able to get a boarding group.
    The fourth time was the easiest as the ride broke the third time so we were given a fastpass for another go!
    Got Boarding groups 54,52 and 11 so I think your OK if you are in the park (whenever they open the queue) and use cellular if you can rather than WiFi. If you dont have cellular make sure your near a Customer services Bod with an iPad.

• January 6, 2020 at 10:51 am

Anyone know why the boarding groups start on a random number? – never seems to be 1!!

• January 6, 2020 at 11:27 am

I cannot see a pattern in the fist Boarding Group number. In the past 30 days, there have been 2 days with a Boarding Group 1.
      First Boarding Group Number Distribution

• January 7, 2020 at 6:38 pm

We were able to do both Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run and rise of the resistance and my family enjoyed smugglers run much more with it being interactive and more of a ride. ROTR was more of a theatrical ride. So if you miss the boarding I wouldn’t be too upset, head over to the other.

• January 12, 2020 at 9:19 am

My family and I will be at Disney the beginning of June. We have an early breakfast at Hollywood and Vine (before the official opening of the park). Does this mean that when the park officially opens, I could try for a boarding pass for RofR while eating breakfast in the park?

• January 14, 2020 at 11:48 am

Yes. After you have tapped into the park you can be anywhere (even miles away) to claim a boarding group.

Ask your server if the restaurant has its own wi-fi. You will likely have better service than the people waiting on Hollywood Boulevard. Before the park opening check and see if you have good data from your cell provider and use that if it is good.

• January 13, 2020 at 6:02 pm

I’m there with an 8am park opening. Does that mean I should be there at 7:30?

• January 14, 2020 at 11:43 am

Don’t be surprised if the park opening time changes to 7am. On low-moderate crowd level days being at security 30-minutes before the park opens will be sufficient to get a boarding group. If you want to be at the front of the rope drop pack to be the first on an attraction you will need to arrive earlier.

• January 18, 2020 at 3:26 pm

Does it matter if we are coming from the resort buses. For entrance location?

• January 28, 2020 at 10:02 am

Great blog and comments. The week of Feb. 23rd the times just recently changed from opening from 9 AM to 8 AM. I wonder if there is a chance they’ll change again to 7 AM.

@Bb, I think resort buses bring you to the one and only main entrance, there is only one entrance at HS. Epcot is the only one with two entrances as far as I know, not including some special VIP tour.

• February 23, 2020 at 11:04 pm

A question about Disneyland. We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel and typically board via the monorail, after going through the turn styles there. Has anyone had any luck from that part of the park getting a boarding pass. The park is scheduled to open at 8am, if we are in the monorail station can we get a boarding pass? Thanks for any help.