Around the Universe – Discounts and News for July 2020
After a short break Around the Universe returns! This week we look at changes in Volcano Bay, construction around CityWalk and Islands of Adventure, hotel dining credit offers, discounts, and attractions closed due to COVID-19.
News and Construction
The Bourne Stuntacular is now open! The show brings to life a Bourne movie with moving sets, live actors, and a 130-foot-long, high-tech screen. Shows run every 45 minutes from park opening until closing. For showtimes, visit the Universal Orlando website.
Punga Racers has reopened at Volcano Bay – now operating as a body slide, no longer needing mats. (h/t to @Parkscope) @UniversalORL pic.twitter.com/bA1AIprlCB
— Inside Universal (@insideuniversal) July 17, 2020
Volcano Bay’s Punga Racers reopened this week. Previously the slide was a mat slide into a splash-down. Shortly after opening the slide had its maximum weight reduced to 200 lbs and then to 150 lbs due to the designed splash down being too short. The new Punga Racers ditch the mat and are now a body slide with new splash downs. With the new design the weight limit goes up to 300 lbs.
The corner spot in CityWalk has been absolutely gutted. No word on a replacement yet. pic.twitter.com/hNBTX447FJ
— Inside Universal (@insideuniversal) June 22, 2020
Construction in CityWalk on the old Fossil, Piq, and Island Trading Company stores continues. The old store locations are gutted and work is progressing on the exteriors. Universal remains mum on what is coming but a leading rumor points to a relocated and expanded Universal Studios Store.
Aerial overview of the unannounced Jurassic Park roller coaster. pic.twitter.com/hv7rZlcEFO
— bioreconstruct (@bioreconstruct) July 9, 2020
Over in Islands of Adventure, the unannounced Jurassic Park coaster recently hit a milestone when the tallest point of the ride was completed. The topping off of the coaster occurred July 8 with the installation of the top hat element. Construction continues with the rest of the coaster, ride building, and outdoor theming with an expected opening in 2021.
Discounts and Deals
Was your hotel booking canceled during the COVID-19 shutdown (March 20 – May 31, 2020)? Are you looking to, or have you, rebooked for some time this year? Universal is offering a free $50 hotel dining credit for any 2+ night stay at a Universal if your reservation was canceled this spring. This credit can be combined with other offers including Annual Passholder room discounts. To redeem call 866-840-9900 with your canceled reservation confirmation number and your new confirmation number.
Here some other discounts and deals available:
- Buy one (1) two park, 2-Day Ticket, Receive Additional 2 Days Free – $234.99 per person plus tax (all guests)
- Receive three months free when purchasing an annual pass (all guests)
- Buy one night get one night free Halloween Horror Nights 30 ticket – $89.99 per person plus tax (all guests)
- Buy one (1) two park, 1-Day Ticket, Recieve 1 Day Free – $174.00 per person plus tax (FL residents)
- Hotel Discounts for Annual Passholders and Florida Residents
- Receive one free child entree with the purchase of one adult entree at select resort restaurants
Refurbishments and Closures
- Fievel’s Playground (COVID-19, Reopening TBD)
- Curious George Goes to Town (COVID-19, Reopening TBD)
- Fear Factor Live (COVID-19, Reopening TBD)
- Camp Jurassic (COVID-19, Reopening TBD)
- If I Ran the Zoo (COVID-19, Reopening TBD)
- Jurassic Discovery Center (COVID-19, Reopening TBD)
- Me Ship, The Olive (COVID-19, Reopening TBD)