This article accompanies our general advice on FastPass+ at Walt Disney World.
FastPass+ Attractions at Disney's Animal Kingdom
These attractions have FastPass+ at the Animal Kingdom:
- Expedition Everest
- Festival of the Lion King
- Finding Nemo - The Musical
- It's Tough to Be a Bug!
- Kali River Rapids
- Kilimanjaro Safaris
- Meet Favorite Disney Pals at Adventurers Outpost
- Primeval Whirl
- Rivers of Light
Using FastPass+ With a Touring Plan
All of our Disney's Animal Kingdom touring plans to use only FastPass+. Each plan now lists the suggested Fastpass+ start times for the attractions that will save you the most time in line, like this:
Suggested start times for FastPass+ reservations:
Kali River Rapids = 10 AM
Dinosaur = 1 PM
Kilimanjaro Safaris = 4 PM
The updated plans are very efficient - the average wait in line should be under 7 minutes per step during summer for our standard 1-day Unofficial Guide Touring Plan - with more than an hour of free time available in the afternoon.
When we updated the plans, we kept track of how many times each attraction was identified as needing FastPass+. As we did for the Magic Kingdom's FastPass+ priorities, here's the Animal Kingdom's chart:
FastPass+ is offered at more than a dozen Animal Kingdom attractions, only about half of them ever require FastPass+ in our touring plans. Here's why.
Kali River Rapids is the attraction that most frequently uses FastPass+ in our touring plans. Why? Similar to Peter Pan's Flight at the Magic Kingdom, people go elsewhere first thing in the morning, while teens and adults head for Expedition Everest. Another advantage to using FastPass+ at Kali is that you can schedule your ride for either right before you leave the park (to avoid sloshing around all day) or during the warmer part of an otherwise cooler day.
Our second most frequent recommendation for FastPass+ is Africa's Kilimanjaro Safaris. Most of our touring plans for tweens, teens and adults start off at Expedition Everest and try to get through Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl in DinoLand U.S.A. before the crowds arrive. Those plans generally visit the Safaris around either lunchtime or late afternoon. Using FastPass+ then will save you time in line and backtracking from elsewhere in the park.
Meet Disney Pals at the Adventurer's Outpost character meet and greet shows up on our Animal Kingdom touring plans for parents with small children. Like Kali River Rapids, it’s not going to be the first stop of your day, and using FastPass+ at the Outpost will generally save more time in line than using FastPass+ at any other child-friendly attraction in our plans.
Why FastPass+ Isn't Recommended at Expedition Everest
Expedition Everest is our least frequently suggested FastPass+ attraction. This is because our free Disney World touring plan software generally puts it as the first step in any (pre-Pandora) Animal Kingdom touring plan. Getting to Everest first thing in the morning lets you avoid long midday lines and save FastPass+ for something else. What’s more, Expedition Everest has a single-rider line line—if you can’t get a FastPass+ reservation and you don’t mind splitting up your group for one ride, the single-rider line is a great option.
Attractions That Never Need FastPass+ In Our Animal Kingdom Touring Plans
These Animal Kingdom attractions never require FastPass+ in our touring plans:
Why? Most of them are shows, and our touring plan software does a good job of getting you to the show at least 15 minutes in advance. When your touring plan gets you to a show 15 minutes in advance, you'll almost always be able to get in to see that performance. And the worst case in most scenarios is that you'll only have to wait until the next show. Finally, it's rare for the wait time at It's Tough to Be a Bug to be more than 15 minutes, so there's not a lot of time to be saved there using FastPass+.
The Best Times for FastPass+ Reservations at Disney's Animal Kingdom
Now that you know which attractions most need FastPass+, the next question is when you should make your FastPass+ reservations. Here’s a chart showing the times our Animal Kingdom touring plans use FastPass+ to avoid long lines (yellow=morning times, orange=afternoon):
Our touring plan software recommends Kali River Rapids from 10 AM to 11 AM about half the time, with the other half scheduled for mid-afternoon. All of the Safaris visits are scheduled for the afternoon. Don't be concerned about the animals being unavailable or less active than in the morning. We've sent teams out to ride the Kilimanjaro Safaris all throughout the day, while keeping count of how many big animals (like elephants), little animals (like gazelles), and birds they see on each ride. There's no predictable difference in the types or number of animals you see throughout the day. Not surprisingly, Disney created the animals' resting spots to be cool, comfortable, and in view of the safari vehicles.
What To Do If You Have Other FastPass+ Attractions or Times
If you can get a FastPass+ reservation for the attractions shown, anywhere near the times listed, the touring plans will work exactly as shown, and your waits in line will be minimized. If you need to choose other FastPass+ attractions or times, our free computer-optimized touring plan software will incorporated those.
Here's the process I usually follow to create an optimal Animal Kingdom touring plan with low waits in line:
- Select all of the attractions I want to visit during the day, and enter in all of the meals and breaks I want to take. I don’t enter any FastPass+ times at this step, because I first want to see what the Optimizer identifies as the attractions with potentially long waits.
- Click the “Optimize” button and wait for the touring plan to be optimized.
- Find the first attraction with a wait over 30 minutes, and see if a FastPass+ reservation is available for that attraction around that time. If I find one, I enter in the FastPass+ time that’s available, and re-optimize the plan.
- I repeat Step 3 for the two FastPass+ eligible attractions with the highest wait times throughout the day. I re-optimize the plan after each attraction, because saving a bunch of time on one attraction may allow the Optimizer to uncover other ways to save you time throughout the day.
Another great resource for optimizing touring plans is our Lines Chat forum, where lots of folks are happy to offer suggestions.
Specific notes about touring FastPass+ attractions in Animal Kingdom follow:
- Although Animal Kingdom does not have many attractions, its spectacular Kilimanjaro Safaris and Expedition Everest roller coaster are heavy draws. Since many people leave Animal Kingdom before the park closes, many rides have short waits during the last hour of operation.
- Obtain FastPass+ reservations for Expedition Everest and Kilimanjaro Safaris as soon as you can, typically 60 days in advance.
- Expedition Everest has a single rider line. If you do not mind having each member of your party ride in a separate car or train, this can save you time without using FastPass+.
- FastPass+ enables you to postpone a wet ride like Kali River Rapids to a warmer part of the day.
- If it is a cold day, do not bother with FastPass+ for Kali River Rapids. Lines will be short on cold days.
Animal Kingdom FastPass+ Kiosks
You can make additional FastPass+ reservations using the My Disney Experience mobile app, or with the FastPass+ kiosks located throughout the park:
- In front of the Disney Outfitters store on Discovery Island and across the walkway near Island Mercantile
- In front of the MyMagic+ Service Center, to the left of the entrance at The Oasis
- Primeval Whirl
- Near Kali River Rapids, Asia
- Near Harambe Market, Africa
Last updated by Len Testa on July 19, 2016