Subscribe Now: 1 Full Year for Only $14.95!
Get full access to the WDW Crowd Calendar, Lines Mobile App, Touring Plans and More!
"Our TouringPlans subscription was a lifesaver on our trip. One of the busiest days of the year, and we never waited longer than 20 minutes!"
- Smith Family, KY
This page accompanies our FastPass+ Overview for Walt Disney World Resort.
FastPass+ is Walt Disney World's ride and show reservation system. On this page you will find FastPass+ tips and strategies, how and where to make FastPass+ reservations in Animal Kingdom, and FastPass+ rules and restrictions.
FastPass+ Attractions at Disney's Animal Kingdom
Ticketed guests can generally make a maximum of THREE initial FastPass+ selections, and more (based on availability) once they have used those they have booked.
Animal Kingdom has a tiered FastPass+ system, meaning that the park restricts the number of FastPass+ reservations guests can make for its headliner attractions. Of the three FastPass+ selections that can be made in advance for each day, a maximum of ONE can be for an attraction in Group A below.
Avatar Flight of Passage
Opens May 27, 2017
|Expedition Everest - Legend of the Forbidden Mountain||B||1:45pm|
|Festival of the Lion King||B||1:30pm|
|Finding Nemo - The Musical||B||11:30am|
|It's Tough to Be a Bug!||B||Refurbishment/Closed|
|Kali River Rapids||B||4:50pm|
|Meet Favorite Disney Pals at Adventurers Outpost||B||Gone|
Na'vi River Journey
Opens May 27, 2017
|Rivers of Light||B||Gone|
FastPass+ Tiers Coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom
When Pandora - The World of Avatar opens in May, Animal Kingdom's attractions will be grouped into tiers, like the FastPass+ attractions at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Disney limits how many FastPass+ reservations you can make for each group. Here are the groups and their limits:
Group A (Choose up to 1 attraction)
Festival of the Lion King
Finding Nemo - The Musical
It's Tough to Be A Bug
Kali River Rapids
Meet Favorite Disney Pals at Adventurers Outpost
Rivers of Light
Using FastPass+ With a Touring Plan
All of our Disney's Animal Kingdom touring plans use Disney's FastPass+ ride reservation system. Each plan lists the suggested Fastpass+ start times for the attractions that will save you the most time in line, like this:
Suggested start times for FastPass+ reservations:
Avatar - Flight of Passage = 9 a.m.
Expedition Everest = 10 a.m.
Kilimanjaro Safaris = 12:30 p.m.
The updated plans are very efficient - the average wait in line should be under 11 minutes per step during summer for our standard 1-day Unofficial Guide Touring Plan - with more than an hour of free time available in the afternoon.
Best FastPass+ Attractions in the Animal Kingdom
When we updated the plans, we kept track of how many times each attraction was identified as needing FastPass+. As we did for the Magic Kingdom's FastPass+ priorities, here's the Animal Kingdom's chart:
FastPass+ is offered at a dozen Animal Kingdom attractions, only 8 of them ever require FastPass+ in our touring plans. Here's why.
Kilimanjaro Safaris is the attraction that most frequently uses FastPass+ in our Animal Kingdom touring plans. Why? It's not a thrill ride, so it appeals to everyone in the park, from small children, to adults, to seniors. It's also very popular, so it appears in all of our touring plans. Another advantage of using FastPass+ for Kilimanjaro Sarafis is that you can choose whether to experience the standard daytime safari, or try the nighttime version.
We recommend FastPass+ for the new Pandora attractions -Avatar Flight of Passage and Na'Vi River Journey - more than any Animal Kingdom attractions except Kilimanjaro Safaris. Both rides are in the same FastPass+ tier, so you have to choose which one you'll use your advance FastPass+ for. If you plan to ride Flight of Passage, we think that choice will save you the most time in line. If you're not riding Flight of Passage, get a FastPass+ for the Na'vi River Journey.
Expedition Everest is the attraction that appears next in our list of best FastPass+ attractions at the Animal Kingdom. Because it's a popular thrill ride, it appears in all of our 'tween, adult, and "whole family" touring plans.
Beyond those attractions, your choices for a best FastPass+ attraction depends on the ages of your family. Meet Disney Pals at the Adventurer's Outpost character meet and greet shows up on our Animal Kingdom touring plans for parents with small children. It’s probably not going to be the first stop of your day, and using FastPass+ at the Outpost will generally save more time in line than using FastPass+ at any other child-friendly attraction in our plans.
Similarly, Rivers of Light, Kali River Rapids, and Dinosaur are reasonable FastPass+ recommendations in some scenarios, such as days with late arrivals.
Attractions That Never Need FastPass+ In Our Animal Kingdom Touring Plans
These Animal Kingdom attractions never require FastPass+ in our touring plans:
Why? Most of them are shows, and our touring plan software does a good job of getting you to the show at least 15 minutes in advance. When your touring plan gets you to a show 15 minutes in advance, you'll almost always be able to get in to see that performance. And the worst case in most scenarios is that you'll only have to wait until the next show. Finally, it's rare for the wait time at It's Tough to Be a Bug to be more than 15 minutes, so there's not a lot of time to be saved there using FastPass+.
What To Do If You Have Other FastPass+ Attractions or Times
If you can get a FastPass+ reservation for the attractions shown, anywhere near the times listed in the plans, the touring plans will work exactly as shown, and your waits in line will be minimized. If you need to choose other FastPass+ attractions or times, our free computer-optimized touring plan software will incorporated those.
Here's the process I usually follow to create an optimal Animal Kingdom touring plan with low waits in line:
- Select all of the attractions I want to visit during the day, and enter in all of the meals and breaks I want to take. I don’t enter any FastPass+ times at this step, because I first want to see what the Optimizer identifies as the attractions with potentially long waits.
- Click the “Optimize” button and wait for the touring plan to be optimized.
- Find the first attraction with a wait over 30 minutes, and see if a FastPass+ reservation is available for that attraction around that time. If I find one, I enter in the FastPass+ time that’s available, and re-optimize the plan.
- I repeat Step 3 for the two FastPass+ eligible attractions with the highest wait times throughout the day. I re-optimize the plan after each attraction, because saving a bunch of time on one attraction may allow the Optimizer to uncover other ways to save you time throughout the day.
Another great resource for optimizing touring plans is our Lines Chat forum, where lots of folks are happy to offer suggestions.
Specific notes about touring FastPass+ attractions in Animal Kingdom follow:
- Obtain FastPass+ reservations for Avatar Flight of Passage or the Na'vi River Journey, plus Expedition Everest and Kilimanjaro Safaris as soon as you can, typically 60 days in advance for on-site guests and 30 days for off-site guests.
- Expedition Everest has a single rider line. If you do not mind having each member of your party ride in a separate car or train, this can save you time without using FastPass+.
- FastPass+ enables you to postpone a wet ride like Kali River Rapids to a warmer part of the day.
- If it is a cold day, do not bother with FastPass+ for Kali River Rapids. Lines will be short on cold days.
Animal Kingdom FastPass+ Kiosks
You can make additional FastPass+ reservations using the My Disney Experience mobile app, or with the FastPass+ kiosks located throughout the park:
- Near Island Mercantile on Discovery Island
- Near Kali River Rapids in Asia
- Near Kilimanjaro Safaris in Africa