This page complements our FastPass+ overview for Walt Disney World.
FastPass+ at Disney's Hollywood Studios
The Studios offers FastPass+ at 12 attractions throughout the year, and more during holidays. Like Epcot, the Studios restricts the number of FastPass+ reservations you can make in advance for its headliner attractions. With FastPass+, you can select 1 attraction from Group A and 2 attractions from Group B:
- Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage
- The Great Movie Ride
- Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
- Toy Story Midway Mania!
- Disney Junior - Live on Stage!
- For the First Time in Forever - A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
- Muppet*Vision 3D
- Star Tours 2: The Adventures Continue
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special (seasonal)
Obtaining More FastPass+ Reservations In the Parks
Like FastPass+ at the other parks, you can obtain more FastPass+ reservations at Disney's Hollywood Studios once you've used your first set, or once their reservation times have expired (whichever comes first). Our touring plans include suggestions the best attractions and times for these day-of FastPasses, as shown below. Here's more research on the best day-of FastPass+ opportunities, too.
For example, if you have FastPass+ reservations for Toy Story Mania from 9-10AM, Star Tours from 10-11AM, and Tower of Terror from 11AM-12 noon, you can obtain more FastPasses as soon as you use the Tower of Terror reservation, or 12 noon, whichever comes first. You'll use Disney's My Disney Experience app or one of the in-park kiosks to make this reservation, and you'll only be able to make 1 reservation at a time. Once you make a reservation, you can get another FastPass+ once you've used the previous one (or the reservation time has passed).
Using FastPass+ with our Touring Plans
We've updated all of our Disney's Hollywood Studios touring plans to use only FastPass+. Each plan now lists the suggested Fastpass+ start times for the attractions that will save you the most time in line, like this:
Suggested start times for advance FastPass+ reservations:
Toy Story Mania = 9 AM
Star Tours = 10 AM
Tower of Terror = 11 AM
Suggested start times for day-of FastPass+ reservations:
Great Movie Ride = 3 PM
Fantasmic! = (Check the daily performance schedule)
The updated plans are very efficient - the average wait in line should be under 9 minutes per step during summer for our standard 1-day Unofficial Guide Touring Plan - with more than 2 hours of free time available in the afternoon.
When we updated the plans, we kept track of how many times each attraction was identified as needing FastPass+. As we did for the Magic Kingdom's FastPass+ priorities, here's the Studios' chart:
So while FastPass+ is offered at more than a dozen Hollywood Studios attractions, there are really only four that you need to worry about most of the year. Here's why.
Our print and online touring plans emphasize FastPass+ for Toy Story Mania. Families with children too small to ride Rock 'n' Roller Coaster or Tower of Terror make a beeline to Toy Story Mania! first thing in the morning, and lines grow quickly. Waits at Toy Story can reach 90 minutes or more on a busy day—in fact, the lines grow so fast that in about one-third of our touring plans, we recommend getting a FastPass+ reservation for 9–10 a.m., even when Toy Story is the first step in the plan. The two benefits to doing this are that (1) you’ll shave off at least 10 minutes of waiting, and (2) you don’t have to line up as early at park opening to join the mad rush to Toy Story.
Next, like Peter Pan's Flight in the Magic Kingdom, Star Tours isn’t going to be anyone’s first choice to visit. For teens and adults especially, the initial morning priorities will be Toy Story, Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster, and Tower of Terror, possibly with The Great Movie Ride while they’re in the area. This makes Star Tours a great choice for a mid- or late-morning FastPass+ reservation.
Tower of Terror shows up because it's in a different tier than Toy Story Mania, allowing you to use FastPass+ for both headliners. Our software most frequently recommends obtaining a FastPass for Tower of Terror in the late morning, so that you're able to see Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage! while you're on Sunset Boulevard. That avoids having to backtrack all the way to this side of the park to see the show.
Finally, the touring plans frequently recommend obtaining a day-of FastPass reservation for Fantasmic! to cut down on the amount of time you have to show up in advance.
Why FastPass+ Isn't Recommended at Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
You'll notice Rock 'n' Roller Coaster only mentioned once in the chart. Why? Remember that the Studios puts its FastPass+ attractions into two groups (see above). You're allowed to choose 1 FastPass+ attraction from Group A, and 2 attractions from Group B. And Toy Story Mania almost always has the longer waits, so it should be your FastPass+ choice in Group A most of the time.
If you can get FastPass+ reservations for Toy Story, Star Tours and Tower of Terror, our free Disney World touring plan software will usually make Rock 'n' Roller Coaster your first stop, where you'll find the lowest waits of the day.
Attractions That Never Need FastPass+ In Our Hollywood Studios Touring Plans
Including Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, most of the Studios' attractions never require FastPass+ in our touring plans. Why? Most of them are shows, and the touring plan software does a good job of getting you to the show at least 15 minutes in advance. When your touring plan gets you to a show 15 minutes in advance, you'll almost always be able to get in to see that performance. And the worst case in most scenarios is that you'll only have to wait until the next show.
If you're concerned about getting a day-of FastPass+ for Fantasmic!, consider the Fantasmic! Dining Package, which we think is a good option for families who are already planning to have a sit-down dinner and catch a performance of Fantasmic!.
The Best Times for FastPass+ Reservations at Disney's Hollywood Studios
Now that you know which attractions most need FastPass+, the next question is when you should make your FastPass+ reservations. Here’s a chart showing the times our Hollywood Studios touring plans use FastPass+ to avoid long lines (yellow=morning times, orange=afternoon, green=day-of Fastpass):
Our touring plan software recommends Toy Story Mania before 11 AM on average. Doing that removes one bottleneck from your early morning schedule, and allows you to ride more headliner attractions while lines are still short. After you're done with the headliners, Star Tours makes an excellent late morning FastPass+ choice for teens and adults. If you've got small children who meet Star Tours' 40" height requirement and you're taking a mid-day break (as our touring plans suggest), then a late afternoon FastPass+ reservation at Star Tours will also help keep your waits low.
What To Do If You Have Other FastPass+ Attractions or Times
If you can get a FastPass+ reservation for the attractions shown, anywhere near the times listed, the touring plans will work exactly as shown, and your waits in line will be minimized. If you need to choose other FastPass+ attractions or times, our free computer-optimized touring plan software will incorporated those.
Here's the process I usually follow to create an optimal Hollywood Studios touring plan with low waits in line:
- Select all of the attractions I want to visit during the day, and enter in all of the meals and breaks I want to take. I don’t enter any FastPass+ times at this step, because I first want to see what the Optimizer identifies as the attractions with potentially long waits.
- Click the “Optimize” button and wait for the touring plan to be optimized.
- Find the first attraction with a wait over 30 minutes, and see if a FastPass+ reservation is available for that attraction around that time. If I find one, I enter in the FastPass+ time that’s available, and re-optimize the plan.
- I repeat Step 3 for the two FastPass+ eligible attractions with the highest wait times throughout the day. I re-optimize the plan after each attraction, because saving a bunch of time on one attraction may allow the Optimizer to uncover other ways to save you time throughout the day.
Another great resource for optimizing touring plans is our Lines Chat forum, where lots of folks are happy to offer suggestions.
Disney's Hollywood Studios FastPass+ Kiosks
FastPass+ kiosks are located throughout the Studios, including:
- At the "wait times" board on the corner of Hollywood and Sunset boulevards
- Outside Toy Story Midway Mania, in Pixar Place
- Outside the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, to the left of the entrance
- Near MuppetVision 3D in Muppet Courtyard
Specific notes about touring FastPass+ attractions in Hollywood Studios follow:
- Obtain FastPass+ reservations for Toy Story Mania! or Rock 'n' Roller Coaster as early as possible - up to 60 days in advance for FastPass+.
- The stand-by queue for Toy Story Mania! is very long, and it takes more than 4 minutes to follow a leisurely paced cast member through it if you are among the first in line at park opening. Because of this, someone with a FastPass+ at 4:00 PM may spend less time in line than the first rider of the day!
- Rock 'n' Roller Coaster has a single rider line. If you do not mind having each member of your party ride in a separate car or train, this can save you time without using FastPass+.
Last updated by Len Testa on September 2, 2016