Description And Comments
The United States Pavilion, generally referred to as The American Adventure consists (not surprisingly) of a fast-food restaurant and a patriotic show.
The American Adventure production is a composite of everything Disney does best. Housed in an imposing brick structure reminiscent of colonial Philadelphia, the 29-minute show is a stirring, but sanitized, rendition of American history narrated by an audioanimatronic Mark Twain (who carries a smoking cigar) and Ben Franklin (who climbs a set of stairs to visit Thomas Jefferson). Behind a stage (almost half the size of a football field) is a 28 x 155-foot rear-projection screen (the largest ever used) on which motion picture images are interwoven with action on stage.
Though the production rouses patriotic emotion in some viewers, others find it deadly dull. A man from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, writes:
I saw The American Adventure about 10 years ago and snoozed through it. We tried it again since you said it was updated, and it was still ponderous. I kept checking my watch, waiting for it to be over. I’ll try it again in 10 years.
An Erie, Pennsylvania, couple resented Disney's squeaky-clean version of American history:
The American Adventure glosses over the dark points of American history. For example, it neatly cuts out the audio about who bombed Pearl Harbor (at Epcot, after all, Japan is right next door). Why not focus on the natural beauty of America, its ethnic diversity, its contributions to world society?
But an Iowa City, Iowa, father of three thinks a lot of people are missing the point:
Cramming all of American history into a 20-minute flick is no easy task, and face it, a theme park is hardly the place for a wholly objective, serious critique of the United States. I think that it's perfectly appropriate for the film, as an attraction in Epcot, to emphasize what's good about the United States.
- Open for Evening Extra Magic Hours.
The American Adventure is the best patriotic attraction in the Disney repertoire. It usually plays to capacity audiences from around 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., but it isn’t hard to get into: Because of the theater’s large capacity, it’s highly unusual not to be admitted to the next performance.
- We rate this attraction as Not To Be Missed.
Other Attractions in World Showcase
- Agent P's World Showcase Adventure
- American Music Machine
- British Revolution
- Frozen Ever After
- Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros
- IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth
- Impressions de France
- Les Parfaits Inconnus
- Mariachi Cobre
- Meet Anna and Elsa at Royal Sommerhus
- Musique Aramenco
- O Canada!
- Reflections of China
- Rose & Crown Pub Musician
- Sbandieratori Di Sansepolcro
- Serveur Amusant
- The Jeweled Dragon Acrobats
- Viva Mexico
- Voices of Liberty
Touring Plans with The American Adventure
- Epcot One-Day Touring Plan for Active Seniors
- Epcot One-Day Touring Plan for Tweens and Their Parents
- Epcot One-Day Holiday Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Epcot Late Arrival One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Epcot Two-Day Touring Plan for Active Seniors - Day 2
- Epcot Late Arrival Selective One-Day Touring Plan for Adults
- Epcot Two-Day Late Arrival Touring Plan for Adults - Day 1
- Epcot One-Day Holiday Touring Plan for Adults
- Epcot Two-Day Not-A-Touring-Plan Plan for Parents and Adults
- Epcot Disney Cruise One-Day Highlights Touring Plan
- Epcot World Showcase Afternoon Touring Plan
- Ultimate Touring Plan: Epcot
- Epcot One-Day Touring Plan for Adults
- Epcot Unofficial Guide Two-Day Sunrise/Starlight Touring Plan - Sunrise
- Epcot One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Epcot Early Riser Two-Day Touring Plan - Day 2
- Parent's Epcot Plan:1 Afternoon and 1 Full Day (Full Day)
- See all Touring Plans...
|Patriotic mixed-media and audio-animatronic theater presentation on U.S. history|
|Park is closed|
|Opening Date||October 1, 1982|
|Scope and scale||Headliner|
|Closures / Refurbishments|
Let us know.