The information below is provided for historical reference.
Description And Comments
In response to Michael Jackson’s death in 2009, Disney brought back his space-themed 3-D musical film Captain EO, which originally ran in Epcot from 1986 to 1994, for a “limited” engagement in its theme parks.
A few years into its second run, however, Unofficial Guide readers were rating Captain EO as the worst attraction in Epcot, and most other park visitors probably felt the same. In early 2015, Disney preempted EO to show previews of upcoming theatrical releases. EO returned for the summer, but its long-term status is tenuous. It’s possible that EO could stick around, the previous film (Honey, I Shrunk the Audience) could make a comeback, or something else entirely could appear. Stay tuned.
We think Captain EO is still worth seeing if it’s playing. It hasn’t aged as well as Jackson’s other long-form video work, notably Thriller, but it’s still one of the ultimate 1980s-era music videos. Directed by Francis Ford Coppola, it’s a 3-D space fantasy with lasers, fiber optics, cannons, and other special effects in the theater, plus some audience participation. It remains, as one Unofficial Guide child of the ‘80s says, evocative of a certain time and place.
- Open for Evening Extra Magic Hours.
Shows typically begin on the hour and half-hour. The sound level is earsplitting, frightening some young children. The theater rarely fills when EO is running, making FastPass+ unnecessary.
This chart shows you roughly how long you'll wait for Captain EO when you visit on a day with a given Epcot Crowd Level. The blue bars represent the average "peak" wait time (that is, how long the line will at its busiest). The bottom and top black lines represent the range of peak wait times to expect (for you fellow nerds out there: it's the 5th percentile and 95th percentile of peak wait times). Please note that these are estimates, and for a better forecast for your travel dates, see Captain EO Wait Times.
Adults shouldn't be put-off by the sci-fi theme or rock music.
Other Attractions in Future World
- Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival
- Ellen's Energy Adventure
- Journey Into Imagination With Figment
- Living with the Land
- Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot
- Mission: SPACE Green
- Mission: SPACE Orange
- Spaceship Earth
- Sum of All Thrills (in Innoventions East)
- Test Track
- The Circle of Life
- The Seas with Nemo & Friends
- Turtle Talk with Crush
Touring Plans with Captain EO
- Epcot One-Day Touring Plan for Active Seniors
- Epcot One-Day Touring Plan for Tweens and Their Parents
- Epcot Two-Day Touring Plan for Active Seniors - Day 1
- Epcot Late Arrival One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Epcot Late Arrival Selective One-Day Touring Plan for Adults
- Epcot Two-Day Late Arrival Touring Plan for Adults - Day 2
- Ultimate Touring Plan: Epcot
- Epcot One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Epcot Early Riser Two-Day Touring Plan - Day 1
- Parent's Epcot Plan:1 Afternoon and 1 Full Day (Full Day)
- See all Touring Plans...
|Opening Date||July 2, 2010|
|Closing Date||December 7, 2015|
|Scope and scale||Headliner|
|Closures / Refurbishments|
Let us know.