Description And Comments
The Horror Make-up Show is a brief but humorous look at how basic monster-movie special effects are done. The show includes onstage demonstrations of effects such as blood-spurting fake knives and rubber limbs, plus how mechanical effects are combined with rubber masks to transform human heads into wolf-shaped skulls. Film clips interspersed throughout the presentation show how computer-generated special effects are blended into live-action films.
This may be Universal’s most entertaining live show. While there’s plenty of fake blood thrown around, the script is mostly funny. The hosts’ running commentary about horror-film making is interspersed with plenty of pop-culture jokes for the kids.
- This attraction participates in Universal Express.
The Horror Make-Up Show is the sleeper attraction at Universal, and one of the only theme park comedy shows we can watch over and over again. Its humor and tongue-in-cheek style transcend the gruesome effects, and most folks (including preschoolers) take the blood and guts in stride. But it’s the exception that proves the rule, as this reader relates:
My 7- and 9-year-olds had no problem with Terminator but were scared by the Horror Make-Up Show (despite my telling them the guy really was not cutting anyone's arm off!). We ended up leaving before the show was over.
A good test is to take your child into the theater lobby between shows, where display cases filled with bloody props and monster masks act as a mini-museum of Universal horror history from The Hunchback of Notre Dame to Hellboy. If the static severed heads here send your kid into hysterics, the show itself may have you paying therapy bills for decades to come.
Look to the second story windows to the left of the theater marquee for a touching tribute to victims of the Pulse nightclub tragedy.
- We rate this attraction as Not To Be Missed.
- This attraction may be frightening for children.
May frighten young children.
Blog Posts on Universal's Horror Make-Up Show:
Six Most Underrated Attractions and Shows at Universal
- Assistive Listening Devices Available
- May Remain In Wheelchair/ECV
- Sign Language Interpretation Available
Parental discretion is advised. Check the daily entertainment schedule for performances with sign language interpreter.
Other Attractions in Hollywood
Touring Plans with Universal Orlando's Horror Make-Up Show
- Universal Studios One-Day Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Universal Studios One-Day Plan for Seniors
- Universal Studios Florida One-Day Plan with Early Entry
- Universal Studios Florida One-Day Plan without Early Entry
- Universal Orlando Highlights One-Day/Two-Park Plan with Early Entry PART 1
- Universal Orlando Highlights One-Day/Two-Park Plan without Early Entry PART 1
- Universal Orlando Two-Day/Two-Park Plan with Early Entry DAY 2/PART 2
- Universal Orlando Two-Day/Two-Park Plan without Early Entry DAY 2/PART 2
- See all Touring Plans...