The information below is provided for historical reference.
Description And Comments
On September 12, 2014, Disney announced that Maelstrom will be replaced by a Frozen-themed attraction.
In one of Disney World's shorter water rides, guests board dragon-headed ships for a voyage through the fabled rivers and seas of Viking history and legend. They brave trolls, rocky gorges, waterfalls, and a storm at sea. A second-generation Disney water ride, the Viking voyage assembles an impressive array of special effects, combining visual, tactile, and auditory stimuli in a fast-paced and often humorous odyssey. Afterward, guests see a 5-minute film on Norway. We don't have any major problems with Maelstrom, but a vocal minority of our readers consider the ride too brief.
Sometimes, several hundred guests from a recently concluded screening of Reflections of China arrive at Maelstrom en masse. Should you encounter this horde, postpone Maelstrom. If you don't want to see the Norway film, not to worry. You will be given the opportunity to exit before the film begins. If you're spending the day at Epcot, try to get a FastPass+ reservation at Maelstrom around 2 p.m.
This chart shows you roughly how long you'll wait for Maelstrom when you visit on a day with a given Epcot Crowd Level. The blue bars represent the average "peak" wait time (that is, how long the line will at its busiest). The bottom and top black lines represent the range of peak wait times to expect (for you fellow nerds out there: it's the 5th percentile and 95th percentile of peak wait times). Please note that these are estimates, and for a better forecast for your travel dates, see Maelstrom Wait Times.
- This attraction offers rider swap.
Animatronic polar bears may frighten a few small children.
- Handheld Captioning Available
- Reflective Captioning Available
- Assistive Listening Devices Available
- Must Transfer From Wheelchair/ECV
Disney Dish with Jim Hill
THINK OF THE SOUVENIR TOWELS WE COULD HAVE SOLD
If the Imagineers had gotten their way back in 1988, every guest would have been issued a rain slicker when they boarded Maelstrom. The boat would have tried to cross the “North Sea” in the middle of a fierce “storm,” with pouring rain and huge waves of artificially churned seawater crashing over the side of the boat. Disney’s lawyers put the kibosh on the fierceness of the storm.
Other Attractions in World Showcase
- Agent P's World Showcase Adventure
- American Music Machine
- British Revolution
- Candlelight Processional
- Frozen Ever After
- Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros
- Holidays Around the World: Chinese Lion Dancers
- Holidays Around the World: Daruma in Japan
- Holidays Around the World: Father Christmas in United Kingdom
- Holidays Around the World: Hanukkah in American Adventure
- Holidays Around the World: Helga in Germany
- Holidays Around the World: Kwanzaa in American Adventure
- Holidays Around the World: Le Befana in Italy
- Holidays Around the World: Morocco
- Holidays Around the World: Père Noël in France
- Holidays Around the World: Sigrid and Julenissen in Norway
- Holidays Around the World: The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs
- IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth
- Impressions de France
- Margret Almer & The Bavarian Band
- Mariachi Cobre
- Meet Anna and Elsa at Royal Sommerhus
- Musique Aramenco
- O Canada!
- Reflections of China
- Rose & Crown Pub Musician
- Serveur Amusant
- The American Adventure
- The Jeweled Dragon Acrobats
- Voices of Liberty