Description And Comments
Tom Sawyer Island is a getaway within the park. It has hills to climb; a cave, windmill, and pioneer stockade (Fort Langhorn) to explore; a tipsy barrel bridge to cross; and paths to follow. You can watch riverboats chug past. It’s a delight for adults and a godsend for children who have been in tow and closely supervised all day.
Tom Sawyer Island isn’t one of the Magic Kingdom’s more celebrated attractions, but it’s one of the park’s better-conceived ones. Attention to detail is excellent, and kids revel in its frontier atmosphere. It’s a must for families with children ages 5–15. If your group is made up of adults, visit on your second day or on your first day after you’ve seen the attractions you most wanted to see.
Although children could spend a whole day on the island, plan on at least 20 minutes. Access is by raft from Frontierland; two operate simultaneously, and the trip is pretty efficient, although you may have to stand in line to board both ways. A St. Clair Shores, Michigan, family made an unplanned visit:
My 5-year-old son needed to run off some energy and he kept bumping into people in the crowded streets of Frontierland, so we veered from the touring plan and took the raft to Tom Sawyer Island. I thought it was a playground (we never bothered to head there before), but it was the coolest area to explore for our whole family! Unlike the Boneyard at Animal Kingdom, Tom Sawyer Island was truly an attraction. Very few people were there, which meant I got amazing pictures of my kids without strangers in the background, and the buildings, tunnels, and fort were so fun to explore! My kids asked to go back here the next day, and we did!
Closes at dusk.
Other Attractions in Frontierland
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Country Bear Jamboree
- Frontierland Shootin' Arcade
- Hoedown Happening
- Splash Mountain
- Walt Disney World Railroad Frontierland Station
Touring Plans with Tom Sawyer Island
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide Dumbo-or-Die-in-a-Day Touring Plan
- Magic Kingdom Happy Family Two-Day Touring Plan - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide Two-Day Touring Plan - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Younger and Older Children
- Magic Kingdom Touring Plan for Families with Pre-Teens
- Magic Kingdom Adult Two-Day Late Arrival Touring Plan - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Dumbo-or-Die Touring Plan - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Parents' Plan-One Afternoon and One Full Day - Afternoon
- Magic Kingdom Touring Plan for Junior Pirates and Explorers Ages 4-8
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Touring Plan for Junior Pirates and Adventurers Ages 4 to 8 - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Adult One-Day Holiday Touring Plan
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Holiday Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children - Holiday Version
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party for Parents with Small Children (Focus on Treats)
- Ultimate Touing Plan: Magic Kingdom
- See all Touring Plans...