Description And Comments
Note: For the months of September and October Disney has transformed Space Mountain into Ghost Galaxy, adding atmospheric audio and video projections of an angry space ghost (no, not that Space Ghost) chasing you through the cosmos. The interstellar specter is more goofy than genuinely scary, but it makes a fun novelty for the spooky season. Nighttime video projections, which make the iconic conical building look like it's crumbling to dust or crackling with electricity, are the most impressive element of the overlay.
Space Mountain is an indoor roller coaster with a theme of high-speed interstellar travel. Roller-coaster aficionados will tell you (correctly) that Space Mountain is a designer version of the Wild Mouse, a midway ride that's been around for at least 50 years. There are no long drops or swooping hills as there are on a traditional roller coaster - only quick, unexpected turns and small drops. Disney's contribution essentially was to add a space theme to the Wild Mouse and put it in the dark. And this does indeed make the Mouse seem wilder.
The most surprising thing about Space Mountain is its aesthetic beauty. No, we're not kidding. The vistas of the solar system and the stars, the distant galaxies, and passing comets are intoxicating and very realistic. Because you cannot see the ride's infrastructure, Space Mountain is no longer simply a roller coaster in a dimly lighted building with some Buck Rogers planets and meteors projected on the ceiling. Because you can't see the track or anticipate where your vehicle will go, your eyes are free to feast on the rich visuals.
Space Mountain is one of the park's most popular attractions. Experience it immediately after the park opens or use FASTPASS.
This chart shows you roughly how long you'll wait for Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy when you visit on a day with a given Disneyland Crowd Level. The blue bars represent the average "peak" wait time (that is, how long the line will at its busiest). The bottom and top black lines represent the range of peak wait times to expect (for you fellow nerds out there: it's the 5th percentile and 95th percentile of peak wait times). Please note that these are estimates, and for a better forecast for your travel dates, see Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy Wait Times.
- We rate this attraction as Not To Be Missed.
- This attraction has a minimum-height requirement of 40 inches.
- This attraction offers rider swap.
Must be 40" tall to ride.
Other Attractions in Tomorrowland
- Astro Orbitor
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
- Disneyland Monorail
- Disneyland Railroad Tomorrowland Station
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
- Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
- Star Wars Launch Bay
- Star Wars: Path of the Jedi
Touring Plans with Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy
- Disneyland One-Day Touring Plan for Adults
- Disneyland Author's Select One-Day Plan
- Disneyland Two-Day Plan for Adults with Children - Day 2
- Disneyland Two-Day Plan A - Day 1
- Disneyland Two-Day Plan B - Day 1
- Date Nite
- One-Day, Two-Parks Plan: Part 2 of 2
- Adult Plan-One Afternoon and One Full Day - Full Day 2
- See all Touring Plans...