Description And Comments
In the pantheon of Disney coasters, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train fits somewhere between The Barnstormer and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad—that is, it’s geared to older grade-school kids who’ve been on amusement park rides before. There are no loops, inversions, or rolls in the track, and no massive hills or steep drops; rather, the Mine Train’s trick is that your ride vehicle’s seats swing side-to-side as you go through turns. And—what a coincidence!—Disney has designed a curvy track with steep turns. There’s also an elaborate indoor section showing the Seven Dwarfs’ underground operation.
The exterior design includes waterfalls, forests, and landscaping and is meant to join together all of the surrounding Fantasyland’s various locations, including France and Germany. The swinging effect is more noticeable the farther back you’re seated in the train.
The Mine Train is the Magic Kingdom’s newest headliner. As such, it generates a lot of reader comments. First, from a Rhode Island couple:
As far as new rides go, we give high marks to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. It’s faster than it looks in videos, and the animatronics are top-notch. It broke down during our FastPass+ window, so we were given an additional pass. On our next day in the Magic Kingdom, we rode it at night. Much like Big Thunder and Splash Mountain, this ride is even better at night!
From an Aurora, Illinois, woman:
It’s a pretty easy coaster, somewhere between Big Thunder and The Barnstormer in intensity, and I’d ride it just to see the mine scene over and over again!
A Chester, Virginia, mom offers a little cost–benefit analysis:
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was a great ride, but not worth a 90-minute wait.
A mom from Horsham, Pennsylvania, felt let down:
Our family’s rating of the 7 D Mine Train is two stars at most. The detail and activities in line were great, and I thought that the animation of the characters’ faces was amazing. But we were all sadly disappointed in the ride—it’s over so quickly, it really isn’t worth your time. Realistically, if we only had to wait 15–20 minutes, we still would only give it two and a half stars at best.
Finally, from a Philadelphia reader:
The Guide is correct in calling the Seven Dwarfs Minecart [sic] underwhelming, but we found it was much, much better at night. The lighting and track layout combined to make the ride feel a little faster, and it was generally more enjoyable. I see no reason to ride it in daylight again.
Ride Through Video
- This attraction offers FastPass+.
- Open for Morning Extra Magic Hour.
- Open for Evening Extra Magic Hours.
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train appears in all of our Magic Kingdom Touring Plans. It's difficult to get FastPass+ reservations for Mine Train. If they're available for any time of day, grab them.
If they're not available, make Fast- Pass+ reservations in advance for around 9:30 a.m. at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and around 3:30 p.m. at Space Mountain. On the day of your visit, ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train as soon as the park opens, then hotfoot it to Splash Mountain to ride immediately. Your FastPass+ reservation for Big Thunder Mountain will be valid by the time you’re done, and you’ll have experienced three of the park’s four headliners in about an hour.
If you have two mornings, do the Fantasyland and Frontierland attractions— Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad—on one day and Space Mountain the next. Spreading your visits over two mornings eliminates a lot of walking.
For more information on FastPass+, as well as tips on when and where to use them, see our Magic Kingdom FastPass+ Advice and Tips page.
Best Way To Get There
If your plan is to head to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train first, head down Main Street USA and walk through Cinderella Castle. Walk past the right side of the Carrousel and continue past Princess Fairytale Hall and The Friar's Nook. You will see the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train entrance on your left.
This chart shows you roughly how long you'll wait for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train when you visit on a day with a given Magic Kingdom Crowd Level. The blue bars represent the average "peak" wait time (that is, how long the line will at its busiest). The bottom and top black lines represent the range of peak wait times to expect (for you fellow nerds out there: it's the 5th percentile and 95th percentile of peak wait times). Please note that these are estimates, and for a better forecast for your travel dates, see Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Wait Times.
- We rate this attraction as Not To Be Missed.
- This attraction has a minimum-height requirement of 38 inches.
- This attraction offers rider swap.
Disney Dish with Jim Hill
Mining Inspiration From The Past
In Seven Dwarfs Mine Train’s main mine scene, the Imagineers built the animation of the marching Seven Short Dudes using roto-scoped images directly from the “Heigh-Ho” number in the movie.
Other Attractions in Fantasyland
- Casey Jr. Splash 'N' Soak Station
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- Enchanted Tales with Belle
- it's a small world
- Mad Tea Party
- Meet Ariel at Her Grotto
- Meet Cinderella and a Visiting Princess at Princess Fairytale Hall
- Meet Daring Disney Pals as Circus Stars at Pete's Silly Sideshow
- Meet Magnifique Disney Friends as Circus Stars at Pete’s Silly Sideshow
- Meet Rapunzel and a Visiting Princess at Princess Fairytale Hall
- Mickey's PhilharMagic
- Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire
- Peter Pan's Flight
- Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
- Princess Elena Royal Welcome
- Royal Majesty Makers
- The Barnstormer
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid
- Walt Disney World Railroad Fantasyland Station
Touring Plans with Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Touring Plan for Tweens and Their Parents
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide Adult One-Day Touring Plan
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Magic Kingdom Happy Family One-Day Touring Plan
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide Selective One-Day Touring Plan for Adults
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide Dumbo-or-Die-in-a-Day Touring Plan
- Magic Kingdom Happy Family Two-Day Touring Plan - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide Two-Day Touring Plan - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Younger and Older Children
- Magic Kingdom Touring Plan for Families with Pre-Teens
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Touring Plan for Grandparents with Small Children
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Late Arrival Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Dumbo-or-Die Touring Plan - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Adult Plan-One Afternoon and One Full Day - Full Day
- Magic Kingdom Parents' Plan-One Afternoon and One Full Day - Full Day
- Magic Kingdom Touring Plan for Junior Pirates and Explorers Ages 4-8
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Not-A-Touring-Plan Plan for Adults
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Touring Plan for Junior Pirates and Adventurers Ages 4 to 8 - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Not-A-Touring-Plan Plan for Parents and Adults
- Magic Kingdom Afternoon and Full-Day Not-A-Touring-Plan Plan for Parents and Adults
- Magic Kingdom Evening EMH Plan for Adults
- Magic Kingdom One-Day Touring Plan for Princess Fans Ages 4 to 8
- Magic Kingdom Evening EMH Plan for Adults - Tomorrowland and Fantasyland
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Touring Plan for Princess Fans Ages 4 to 8 - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Evening EMH Plan for Adults - Fantasyland, Frontierland and Liberty Square
- Magic Kingdom Comprehensive Evening EMH Plan for Parents with Small Children
- Magic Kingdom Evening EMH Plan for Parents with Small Children - Tomorrowland and Fantasyland
- Magic Kingdom Evening EMH Plan for Parents with Small Children - Fantasyland, Frontierland, and Adventureland
- Magic Kingdom Adult One-Day Holiday Touring Plan
- Magic Kingdom Two-Day Holiday Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children - Day 1
- Magic Kingdom Unofficial Guide One-Day Touring Plan for Parents with Small Children - Holiday Version
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party for Adults
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party for Parents with Small Children (Focus on Attractions)
- Magic Kingdom Christmas Party Touring Plan for Adults
- Magic Kingdom Christmas Party Touring Plan for Parents (Focus on Attractions)
- Magic Kingdom Adult Two-Day Late Arrival Touring Plan - Day 2
- Ultimate Touing Plan: Magic Kingdom
- See all Touring Plans...